Desensitizing my scar…any tips or tricks?
Wednesday July 03rd 2013, 2:06 pm
Filed under: Uncategorized

So my main job right now with my recovery is desensitizing my scar so that I can wear real shoes.  It is so sensitive the smallest touch kills me!  What have you guys/gals done to help with the desensitizing part of this process.  Thanks!!

5 Comments so far

I am about to start shoes so I am not sure what I am in for. BUT - I have been rubbing vitamin e oil into the scar/. i do’t think the vitamin e oil helps with sensitivity but I think the rubbing does. I also lightly massage all around my ankle and with my hands lightly stretch my toes. I definitely have weird tinglees all over my foot but I think this helps. I also have acupuncture this Friday and I will be asking if she can help with that same issue! I am definitely nervous about shoes on so many levels but can not wait to get out of the boot!

Good luck and I will be checking for better tips.

Comment by lodinpdx 07.03.13 @ 5:50 pm

My PT told me to rub it softly with a dry washcloth or with the inside of your sock. It totally drove me crazy the first few times, but after a couple of days it was better. Good Luck.

Comment by kelliblw 07.03.13 @ 6:44 pm

I have the same issue. Start rubbing with terry cloth two minutes each direction at 90° for two minutes three times a day. When you can stand the soft terry cloth find a harder fabric like wool, then go to the fuzzy side of Velcro. It will take some time to loose the ultra sensitivity, but will improve the more you do it. Good luck!

Comment by debuff 07.04.13 @ 2:21 pm

The shading of my Achilles tattoo, quite unexpectedly, did wonders for my scar. It’s smaller, much less pronounced… and (I think) it is much less sensitive on the areas that are colored. “Skin needling” is a cosmetic procedure sometimes used for scar reduction- basically tattoo’ing without ink. The needling of the skin promotes the growth of new collagen. If all else fails, as a last resort, it might be worth looking into.

Comment by ryanb 07.06.13 @ 5:40 pm

Hi Momto4peas. I’ve been re-reading your posts as my surgery is getting closer. The waiting is the hardest part. But definitely sounds like recovery after surgery will be MUCH harder, so I should stop complaining. I still have almost 3 more weeks of waiting. Did you have haglunds/bone spur or just torn Achilles? How are you doing now? My kids will be home with me the first 3 weeks after surgery before they start school, so I’m hoping they will help around the house. They are both teenage boys and I normally do everything!

Comment by pugnut68 07.28.13 @ 4:36 am