momoftwo’s AchillesBlog

On the Road to full Recovery…..

4 weeks post-surgery today!!!

It’s been a month since my surgery and I am ready to walk again. The cast comes off tomorrow and I believe I get the BOOT. I hope I can get rid of my crutches as well even though I am really good on my crutches. Mother nature loves to dump more snow on the ground, and I have not slipped or fallen on any ice yet. I have the best support system and my husband is a pro at being Mr Mom! Both my kids are getting used to mommy on her crutches, but it will be a surprise once mommy can walk and get to them easier when they misbehave because my son knows that I am not too fast so he stays out of my grasp when he wants to.

This has been more trying to my patience as I am not a “sitter”, but my relationship with my mother, husband and children have all benefitted from this as I appreciate them all in new ways. I am ready for the hard work ahead, but I will never forget these lessons I have learned.

7 Comments »

“Frouchie” or “Grouchie”, or just “Chris” wrote @ February 25th, 2010 at 9:52 am

Good to read your post.
As of today I’m 14 wks 1 day into my recovery. Sorry to say, but my 4 week mark seems like a long time ago. I’ve made tons of growth since my 4 week mark, so I’m sure you will too.

Like you, I have had a wonderful wife to take over most of the house duties. I’m thankful for her. My two boys are most likely much older than yours, I have one that is 16 and one that is 20. I don’t have to chase after them as much.

Keep us posted how you’re doing and remember….”Slow and Steady Wins THIS Race”.

McKenzie wrote @ February 25th, 2010 at 10:07 am

Thanks for the comment. I am definitely looking at things optimistically and I know things will get easier with time.

My children are still little - girl 5 - who is a tremendous help and boy 18 months - who was a momma’s boy but now is a daddy’s boy and a “rock” head, but we are getting along just fine as he now knows he has to be patient with mom. Lessons learned for a toddler quite young so it may be a blessing in disguise…..Continue good luck to you.

retiredfrombball wrote @ February 25th, 2010 at 12:43 pm

If you get a chance, leave an update tomorrow on how your doctors appointment went. My surgery was 2 days before yours but I am in cast until 6 weeks and 2 days after surgery. Very frustrated because I read a lot of other blogs about people starting rehab at 4 weeks or earlier. I am in no pain and ready to move on to the next step but hopefully my doctors conservative progam will pay off in the long run.

Good luck.

momoftwo wrote @ February 25th, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Will do. I guess from what I have read all doctors and Physical therapists are different. I am assuming I will be NWB in the boot for 2 more weeks just so I am not disappointed.

Hang in there…..

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

marymargaret27 wrote @ March 1st, 2010 at 10:06 am

Hi,

I am 4 weeks out as of tomorrow, and my doctor won’t let me go into a boot until March 15 :-( It is good to hear that you are making good progress though…I have had to depend on my husband to carry everything (I am an attorney in private practice and unfortunately clients and courts don’t care whether I’m on crutches). Also, my mother-in-law is a gem because she fixes us dinner every night. My husband is about 4.5 weeks out from meniscus surgery, so we are both crippled! Best of luck and please keep us posted!

normofthenorth wrote @ March 1st, 2010 at 11:50 pm

I can understand Docs wanting to be conservative and slow about letting people out of casts/boots and into shoes, because there are real hazards there. And the move from equinus (plantar-flexed, with a big heel lift) to neutral obviously involves stretching the AT and the calf muscle, so there are probably risks there, too. The evidence indicates that “pretty quick” works well, and it’s obviously easier on the patient and his/her family, etc., but I can still understand the “conservatism” there.

But the move from NWB to PWB to FWB — if the foot is still immobilized in equinus with a big heel lift — doesn’t seem scary to me, so I really don’t understand “conservatism” here.

Moreover, a lot of the difficulties in rehab involve UNdoing the problems that are apparently caused by NWB — lack of balance and ankle stability and “proprioception”, lack of muscle tone in the rest of the leg, sensitivity to pressure in the sole of the foot and (especially) under the heel. I’d bet that most people would overcome those problems more easily after 2 or 3 weeks NWB (or maybe even less, esp. post-op), than after a month or more.

I’m just sayin’. . .

Lou wrote @ March 2nd, 2010 at 7:02 am

Dear Mom of two

ATR Jan 22, op Jan 24, put in fiberglass cast.
Slipped while NWB. Put cast in Bledsoe Boot, PWB day 2 postop. Resumed daily beach walks, albeit very short.
In boot week 5, FWB. Suggest you get a pedometer and maximize steps in boot and PWB to get to FWB ASAP. If the AT is protected by the boot, it should not be vulnerable to rerupture, unless you fall.. My doc tells me the tendon should be fully healed in 5-6 weeks.
I’m now 5 weeks postop, no crutches, walking about 5-6 miles/day (2/3 in boot outside, 1/3 inside without boot), very little muscle atrophy because I went PWB/FWB ASAP.
Biggest danger for you now, I believe, is DVTs, falls and near falls from lack of walking that result in jerking the AT around.

Your comment