so soon?

February 23, 2012 |  Tagged , , |

Trainer: Burpees
Me: Really?
Trainer: Did you think you weren’t going to do burpees again?
Me: No, but not this soon.

I did my first burpees this morning 3 sets of 8, along with 3 sets of 20 squats, and 3 sets of push-ups on the bar - that was warm up, by the way. The push-ups actually gave me the hardest time and we had to adjust the bar, though I could have done one legged push-ups.

So I am still progressing and feel like I really am going to see the end. I ran a little more this morning as well. My trainer set up three cones and I ran to one and back, touched the wall and then ran to the next one, etc. I also did that three times.

Comments

14 Comments so far

1. ryanb on February 24, 2012 10:50 am

It’s a long story, but I had to switch to a new therapist back in January.

The first thing my new therapist asked me to do was to see how many single heel raises I could do in 30 seconds: as high and explosively as possible. Then she wanted me to do some zig-zag single leg hopping on the injured leg. I had the same sort of reaction to these requests… “are you nuts?”.

I did them to the best of my ability (OK, I held back a little bit on the heel raises, somewhat hesitant to hit them “explosively”); but it was a kick in the pants I probably needed. It showed me I was ready to do a bit more than I thought. To keep making progress, you’ve always got to be pushing out the bounds of your comfort zone.

2. normofthenorth on February 24, 2012 2:29 pm

True, but it’s also possible to do harm without experiencing much pain or discomfort first!! Diff strokes at diff times, & for diff folks. I like “incrementally aggressive” most of the time…

3. shootingthebreeze on February 24, 2012 2:47 pm

Incrementally aggressive - that kinda works ;)

I’m at the comfort zone stage too so will need to push it a bit when have the chance ….

4. ryanb on February 24, 2012 3:00 pm

I too like incrementally aggressive as a motto-

Norm has a good point of course, regarding doing damage without pain. But, I think it’s more applicable in the early phases. At ~15 weeks, I think you’re body should be pretty good about telling you when you’re doing too much… so long as you don’t do something really crazy ;-)

5. Janus on February 24, 2012 3:03 pm

That seems aggressive to me, too. But you know better where you’re at. And RyanB is correct in saying: “to keep making progress, you’ve always got to be pushing out the bounds of your comfort zone.”

Still, when I start therapy (perhaps two weeks from now), I’m going to be a bit cautious and sneak up on my goals. I see how I feel week 15 — but if I’m not yet doing burpees, I’m fine with that.

All best for you, and congrats on the progress!

6. rosethorn on February 24, 2012 8:57 pm

Incrementally aggressive… That’s pretty much been my approach to life.

7. mljackson60 on February 25, 2012 2:00 pm

I have been fairly cautious. My PT had me do single legged calf raises yesterday for the first time. Major fail on that one so I have a ways to go. My balance wasn’t great before my injuries though.

8. office.com/setup on October 12, 2019 6:21 pm

The article has truly beat my slant. I am going to bookmark your site and keep up checking for flashing new information.

9. office.com/setup on October 12, 2019 6:22 pm

I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

10. Sam on November 12, 2019 12:34 am

Students often look for the services that offer all kinds of assignment help online to avoid any knowledge gap in assignments.

11. Assignment Help service on November 26, 2019 2:55 am

Our online Assignment Help Service team of expert professionals and assignment writers possess loads of educational experience and skill in writing assignments and assignment facilitate of all kind. we tend to firmly believe giving the simplest quality service to the students at a reasonable worth. we area unit the simplest at finishing the assignments in time with nice professionalism and accuracy.

12. office.com/setup on November 29, 2019 2:41 am

Office.com/setup consists of powerful application software. These software help users to reduce their work load. If you face any issues with office setup then get in touch with our Expert Technical support team for solutions.

13. norton setup on November 30, 2019 12:35 am

Thank you so much for this wonderful Post and all the best for your future. I hope to see more posts from you. I am satisfied with the arrangement of your post. You are really talented person I have ever seen.

14. Telstra webmail on November 30, 2019 12:37 am