so soon?

February 23, 2012 |  Tagged , , |

Trainer: Burpees
Me: Really?
Trainer: Did you think you weren’t going to do burpees again?
Me: No, but not this soon.

I did my first burpees this morning 3 sets of 8, along with 3 sets of 20 squats, and 3 sets of push-ups on the bar - that was warm up, by the way. The push-ups actually gave me the hardest time and we had to adjust the bar, though I could have done one legged push-ups.

So I am still progressing and feel like I really am going to see the end. I ran a little more this morning as well. My trainer set up three cones and I ran to one and back, touched the wall and then ran to the next one, etc. I also did that three times.

Comments

7 Comments so far

1. ryanb on February 24, 2012 10:50 am

It’s a long story, but I had to switch to a new therapist back in January.

The first thing my new therapist asked me to do was to see how many single heel raises I could do in 30 seconds: as high and explosively as possible. Then she wanted me to do some zig-zag single leg hopping on the injured leg. I had the same sort of reaction to these requests… “are you nuts?”.

I did them to the best of my ability (OK, I held back a little bit on the heel raises, somewhat hesitant to hit them “explosively”); but it was a kick in the pants I probably needed. It showed me I was ready to do a bit more than I thought. To keep making progress, you’ve always got to be pushing out the bounds of your comfort zone.

2. normofthenorth on February 24, 2012 2:29 pm

True, but it’s also possible to do harm without experiencing much pain or discomfort first!! Diff strokes at diff times, & for diff folks. I like “incrementally aggressive” most of the time…

3. shootingthebreeze on February 24, 2012 2:47 pm

Incrementally aggressive - that kinda works ;)

I’m at the comfort zone stage too so will need to push it a bit when have the chance ….

4. ryanb on February 24, 2012 3:00 pm

I too like incrementally aggressive as a motto-

Norm has a good point of course, regarding doing damage without pain. But, I think it’s more applicable in the early phases. At ~15 weeks, I think you’re body should be pretty good about telling you when you’re doing too much… so long as you don’t do something really crazy ;-)

5. Janus on February 24, 2012 3:03 pm

That seems aggressive to me, too. But you know better where you’re at. And RyanB is correct in saying: “to keep making progress, you’ve always got to be pushing out the bounds of your comfort zone.”

Still, when I start therapy (perhaps two weeks from now), I’m going to be a bit cautious and sneak up on my goals. I see how I feel week 15 — but if I’m not yet doing burpees, I’m fine with that.

All best for you, and congrats on the progress!

6. rosethorn on February 24, 2012 8:57 pm

Incrementally aggressive… That’s pretty much been my approach to life.

7. mljackson60 on February 25, 2012 2:00 pm

I have been fairly cautious. My PT had me do single legged calf raises yesterday for the first time. Major fail on that one so I have a ways to go. My balance wasn’t great before my injuries though.

Name (required)