physical therapy - massaging the scars

January 3, 2012 |  Tagged |

First time the PT massaged the scars was today. Man that hurts. Like other people write, I know you understand. I just get blank looks from other people.

Comments

15 Comments so far

1. kathyw on January 3, 2012 8:01 pm

After my second knee surgery, I had a lot of scarring (both surgeries in the same place, on the same knee, 16″ incision). My PT gave me what she called a “scar sucker” (it was really the suction pieces from a snake bite kit) and had me use that at home to mobilize the scar tissue & break it up…not fun, but sometimes it’s better if it’s you causing the pain instead of the PT…you better know what you can tolerate, and can back off/go farther than your PT might.

2. mljackson60 on January 3, 2012 8:41 pm

thanks. I think the pain took me by surprise.

3. ryanb on January 4, 2012 10:14 am

FWIW, my PT often used a “scar sucker” too. It wasn’t exactly pleasant, but I imagine it was less painful than a pressure massage on the area would have been.

4. luigi on January 4, 2012 11:45 am

I must find a “scar sucker” Whats the point of massaging the scar area? I know where my tendon was fused together it almost feels like a ball but im only 3 weeks post op.

5. kathyw on January 4, 2012 2:01 pm

Luigi,

My PT sent me home with the Sawyer Professional Insect and Snake Bite Kit…I think you can find them on Amazon.

6. kathyw on January 4, 2012 3:45 pm

PS–you might want to check with your MD or PT though, before you start working on the scar–it might be a little soon for you to do that…

7. rosethorn on January 4, 2012 9:43 pm

I haven’t experienced actual scar massage yet; I’m only 4 weeks post-op but I have a lot of experience from scar tissue massage from two prior (non-op) ruptures.

If you are familiar with the Graston Technique, you probably have mixed feelings about it like I do. In a complex scar tissue matrix, it hurts so much!

I am reading that it has applications in scar therapy as well. Anyone have any experiences?

8. mljackson60 on January 4, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi,
    I’m not familiar with the Graston Technique. I’m not sure I want to know!
    Today was not as bad but I swam before PT.

9. luigi on January 5, 2012 2:21 am

Im almost 4 weeks post op. I have my next appointment Tuesday so I’ll find out then. I watched a video on youtube earlier tonight on the scar massage; I winced in pain.

10. Mars on January 6, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi Luigi,

Mars in the UK here, i read your comments about the videos on youtube for massaging achilles tendon.. and after becoming intrigued i watched them… they brought a tear to my eye too! mind you i am only 9 days post op so i’ve got a way to go still NWB first check up on Monday.

11. luigi on January 7, 2012 5:39 am

Mars

I’m excited about my Week 4 Post-Op appt on Tuesday…im amazed at the difference from Week 1 to today. Ive been doing some small massaging around the scar & have begun some very gentle PWB.

What scares me most is not using my ankle and putting all weight & pressure on my foot & aggravating a bunion that I have on the foot. I want to insure that I am strengthing my achilles/ankle by PWB otherwise im wasting my time.

Also, i have been able to move/manipulate my calf muscles by concentrating & flexing with little to no ankle movement & I can see a huge difference in my calf muscle. The area where the achilles was sewn together feels like a tight little ball…i have a very small ROM & im hoping gentle massage may help that.

12. chemistry assignment help online on September 3, 2019 1:33 am

Feeling stressed with doing your chemistry assignment? We offer chemistry assignment help in U.S. which is a specialized, multifaceted online support service to students. We give the service of writing any chemistry assignment at all academic levels.

13. Canon Printer Offline on September 9, 2019 8:11 am

Is your Canon printer showing an error message “Canon Printer Offline” during print job? If yes, then the reasons behind such problem is- your printer might not be set as default, due to low network connection, and having issue with Connect Canon Printer To Wi-Fi settings. So, now you will have to do somethings to correct this error, it includes: Setting the printer online, be assure that the correct printer is selected, and power cycling the printer. In case, you are not proficient to do these things on your own, then place a call on our given helpline number and tune with us hassle-freely. The highly expert techies will lend your hand and deliver fruitful solution in a minute. Sometime some error connecting Wi-Fi to pc contact

14. Assignment Help on September 9, 2019 10:48 pm

Don’t hamper your studies if you don’t have enough time to complete your homework. Being an International student, you could not afford any delay in your project submission. For that, quote your order for our writing services under Assignment Help USA to achieve desired outcomes. Many students need to face issues of lower numbers and poor grades because of their late project or incomplete project submission. When they can’t manage their, they have to face the outcomes of their submission. Keeping these kinds of problems in mind, our experts offer the online writing services to nurture the standards of students’ performance. You don’t need to worry if you can’t manage your time to draft your academic papers, just login to our website and choose expert at affordable prices. Don’t allow yourself to submit late projects; place your order and get our remarkable services at your door.

15. Canon printer setup on September 10, 2019 7:55 am

Wondering how to configure a new printer on your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch or Android mobile device? Just download the Canon PRINT App, hit your printer’s Wireless Connect button and the data stored on your phone, including your Wi-Fi name and password, will automatically be shared allowing the overall setup process quicker and easier than ever. There are different methods to set up the canon printer in different versions of the printer. If you want to know the Canon printer setup guide, contact our experts. They will give you the easiest steps to do so. Just dial our toll-free number and talk with the experts. The best part is that you can call round the clock.

Name (required)