physical therapy - massaging the scars

January 3, 2012 |  Tagged |

First time the PT massaged the scars was today. Man that hurts. Like other people write, I know you understand. I just get blank looks from other people.

Comments

29 Comments so far

1. kathyw on January 3, 2012 8:01 pm

After my second knee surgery, I had a lot of scarring (both surgeries in the same place, on the same knee, 16″ incision). My PT gave me what she called a “scar sucker” (it was really the suction pieces from a snake bite kit) and had me use that at home to mobilize the scar tissue & break it up…not fun, but sometimes it’s better if it’s you causing the pain instead of the PT…you better know what you can tolerate, and can back off/go farther than your PT might.

2. mljackson60 on January 3, 2012 8:41 pm

thanks. I think the pain took me by surprise.

3. ryanb on January 4, 2012 10:14 am

FWIW, my PT often used a “scar sucker” too. It wasn’t exactly pleasant, but I imagine it was less painful than a pressure massage on the area would have been.

4. luigi on January 4, 2012 11:45 am

I must find a “scar sucker” Whats the point of massaging the scar area? I know where my tendon was fused together it almost feels like a ball but im only 3 weeks post op.

5. kathyw on January 4, 2012 2:01 pm

Luigi,

My PT sent me home with the Sawyer Professional Insect and Snake Bite Kit…I think you can find them on Amazon.

6. kathyw on January 4, 2012 3:45 pm

PS–you might want to check with your MD or PT though, before you start working on the scar–it might be a little soon for you to do that…

7. rosethorn on January 4, 2012 9:43 pm

I haven’t experienced actual scar massage yet; I’m only 4 weeks post-op but I have a lot of experience from scar tissue massage from two prior (non-op) ruptures.

If you are familiar with the Graston Technique, you probably have mixed feelings about it like I do. In a complex scar tissue matrix, it hurts so much!

I am reading that it has applications in scar therapy as well. Anyone have any experiences?

8. mljackson60 on January 4, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi,
    I’m not familiar with the Graston Technique. I’m not sure I want to know!
    Today was not as bad but I swam before PT.

9. luigi on January 5, 2012 2:21 am

Im almost 4 weeks post op. I have my next appointment Tuesday so I’ll find out then. I watched a video on youtube earlier tonight on the scar massage; I winced in pain.

10. Mars on January 6, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi Luigi,

Mars in the UK here, i read your comments about the videos on youtube for massaging achilles tendon.. and after becoming intrigued i watched them… they brought a tear to my eye too! mind you i am only 9 days post op so i’ve got a way to go still NWB first check up on Monday.

11. luigi on January 7, 2012 5:39 am

Mars

I’m excited about my Week 4 Post-Op appt on Tuesday…im amazed at the difference from Week 1 to today. Ive been doing some small massaging around the scar & have begun some very gentle PWB.

What scares me most is not using my ankle and putting all weight & pressure on my foot & aggravating a bunion that I have on the foot. I want to insure that I am strengthing my achilles/ankle by PWB otherwise im wasting my time.

Also, i have been able to move/manipulate my calf muscles by concentrating & flexing with little to no ankle movement & I can see a huge difference in my calf muscle. The area where the achilles was sewn together feels like a tight little ball…i have a very small ROM & im hoping gentle massage may help that.

12. chemistry assignment help online on September 3, 2019 1:33 am

Feeling stressed with doing your chemistry assignment? We offer chemistry assignment help in U.S. which is a specialized, multifaceted online support service to students. We give the service of writing any chemistry assignment at all academic levels.

13. Canon Printer Offline on September 9, 2019 8:11 am

Is your Canon printer showing an error message “Canon Printer Offline” during print job? If yes, then the reasons behind such problem is- your printer might not be set as default, due to low network connection, and having issue with Connect Canon Printer To Wi-Fi settings. So, now you will have to do somethings to correct this error, it includes: Setting the printer online, be assure that the correct printer is selected, and power cycling the printer. In case, you are not proficient to do these things on your own, then place a call on our given helpline number and tune with us hassle-freely. The highly expert techies will lend your hand and deliver fruitful solution in a minute. Sometime some error connecting Wi-Fi to pc contact

14. Assignment Help on September 9, 2019 10:48 pm

Don’t hamper your studies if you don’t have enough time to complete your homework. Being an International student, you could not afford any delay in your project submission. For that, quote your order for our writing services under Assignment Help USA to achieve desired outcomes. Many students need to face issues of lower numbers and poor grades because of their late project or incomplete project submission. When they can’t manage their, they have to face the outcomes of their submission. Keeping these kinds of problems in mind, our experts offer the online writing services to nurture the standards of students’ performance. You don’t need to worry if you can’t manage your time to draft your academic papers, just login to our website and choose expert at affordable prices. Don’t allow yourself to submit late projects; place your order and get our remarkable services at your door.

15. Canon printer setup on September 10, 2019 7:55 am

Wondering how to configure a new printer on your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch or Android mobile device? Just download the Canon PRINT App, hit your printer’s Wireless Connect button and the data stored on your phone, including your Wi-Fi name and password, will automatically be shared allowing the overall setup process quicker and easier than ever. There are different methods to set up the canon printer in different versions of the printer. If you want to know the Canon printer setup guide, contact our experts. They will give you the easiest steps to do so. Just dial our toll-free number and talk with the experts. The best part is that you can call round the clock.

16. Sam on November 11, 2019 6:06 am

Looking for essay help online?. Want essay assignment help? Let’s have a look at our endeavors!MyAssignmenthelp AU have a range of professional writers ready to provide essay assignment help or essay help to the students presenting top quality essays, keeping in mind the instruction provided by their professors.

17. avg.com/retail on February 10, 2020 1:24 am

AVG Retail is the best Antivirus programming which is accessible on avg.com/retail , gives the total suite of highlights which can verify your computerized on the web and disconnected work of the framework or gadgets.

18. HP Wireless Printer Setup on February 18, 2020 6:11 am

Thanks for the information.

19. Canon Printer Customer Service on February 18, 2020 6:12 am

Reach to us for any kind of printer issue you are dealing, we will help you in every way. Contact at Canon Printer Customer Service for instant help.

20. AVG Customer Service Phone Number on February 18, 2020 6:13 am

Thanks for the information.

21. Assignment help on March 24, 2020 6:00 am

At MyAssignmenthelp, we have expert writers dedicated for customized assignment help who carefully analyse the assignment requirements to work and format accordingly.

22. Outlook Keeps Asking for Password on July 6, 2020 1:09 am

outlook keeps asking for password may sometimes become a nasty problem to resolve, what frustrates more is, you need to keep on entering your security password repeatedly for authentication. At first, you should know the exact reason causing this problem, and there could a configuration setting related error or a corrupted profile problem. You can try these fixes, delete your credential information saved in the “Windows Credentials Manager” which can be accessed from “Control Panel”. Also, you should set your Outlook Mail app to remember your password, which can also be accessed from “Control Panel” then “User Accounts” > “Mail (Microsoft Outlook)”. These steps will solve your Outlook Keeps asking for password problem quickly.

23. Brother printer offline fix on October 20, 2020 12:46 am

You to see the wire connections alongside the stable internet speed. Before troubleshooting, you would like to see for errors on the Brother Printer instrument panel and, if found any, then catch on fixed immediately. Brother printer offline fix requires subsequent step is to travel to the instrument panel on your computer and click on Brother Printer icon, now click Manage, and choose Set as Default Printer. If the matter persists, then return and again click Brother Printer icon, open Print Queues, and now clear all the documents waiting to be printed. Also, uncheck the utilization Printer Offline option from an equivalent menu. These are practical steps to troubleshoot Brother Printer offline error.

24. arc welding equipment market on December 17, 2020 7:24 am

The global arc welding equipment market has witnessed stagnant growth since the last few years and is anticipated to maintain a high growth scale over the forecast period of 2018-2026. The primary factor driving the global arc welding equipment market includes increasing demand from different end use industries such as construction, aerospace & defense, oil & gas, automotive, and many others. Arc welding equipment is rapidly being used in the construction of gas rigs, buildings, massive offshore oil, bridges, and pipelines. Also, the government is spending a massive amount in national infrastructure expansion projects, which is resulting in an increasing demand for arc welding equipment.

25. Http Error 504 on February 9, 2021 2:03 am

I wish I had found this blog before. The advice in this post is very helpful and I surely will read the other posts of this series too. Thank you for posting this. Check out the way to fix Http Error 504. Lean how you can fix it at your own or feel free to call our experts on our toll-free numbers or visit our website to know more!

26. Epson Printer Offline Windows 10 on February 9, 2021 5:05 am

Epson Printer Offline Windows 10 normally relates to a printhead issue and the displayed error message will flash on the screen. The lights will begin to blink as a symbol of this Offline window 10.

27. HP Accelerometer Error on February 15, 2021 1:54 am

You have a very good site, well constructed and very interesting i have bookmarked you hopefully you keep posting new stuff.

28. Hp Recovery Mode on February 19, 2021 5:38 am

A commitment of appreciation is paying little cerebrum to together for putting the push to plan this, I feel from a general viewpoint about it, and I worth getting more acquainted with it. If possible, when you make data, OK need to reestablish your blog with more information? It’s truly major to me. If you have some problem with Hp Recovery Mode windows 10 click the link.

29. Toshiba Cooling System Error on March 2, 2021 5:32 am

I am new to your blog and just spent about 1 hour and 30 minutes of reading. I think I will frequently visit your blog from now on. I will definitely learn a lot from them.

Name (required)