First swim

January 2, 2012 |  Tagged |

I just got back from my first swim since before surgery. It was wonderful. The upper body work is paying off in my stroke. I was slow today but I wanted to take it easy the first time. It is so good to be back in the pool. swi

Comments

24 Comments so far

1. kathyw on January 2, 2012 7:24 pm

I’m glad you were able to swim today!

Dumb questions as I contemplate my first swim, hopefully next week:

How did you manage getting in & out of the pool? Ladder? Steps? Sliding in from the side? Did you wear your boot to swim in?

I am nervous about getting from the locker room to the pool and back…I have an aircast boot, I’m currently walking mostly with 2 crutches. I don’t really want to get the boot lining wet, but am not sure how to maneuver to and from the pool without it.

Anyway, congrats to you on getting into the water again!

2. mljackson60 on January 2, 2012 8:23 pm

I used my crutches to get to the pool and then took off my boot. There are bleachers near the pool. Then I scooted over to the side and got down and in. That is what I was most nervous about. The pool I swam at today has a ledge so I was able to maneuver. I used the ladder to get out but I did not put weight on my bad foot. I kneeled on the ladder with the left leg and hoisted myself up and scooted back to my crutches. I have pretty good upper body strength so it wasn’t that hard. Both pools I use have ramps and I thought that would be an option if I had to use them. There are bars to hold onto. I did not wear the boot in the water.

I only did 500 yards. I usually swim a mile or more. And I did 50 at a time alternating front and back stroke. I also did some breast stroke which felt better with my foot.

3. mljackson60 on January 2, 2012 8:23 pm

Oh, and I did my PT exercises in the pool while I was there. It seemed easier in the water.

4. kathyw on January 2, 2012 10:07 pm

Thanks for explaining…my pool has ladders and stair-type steps…I was thinking I would try to steps, but I worry about my crutches on the wet pool deck. My swimming buddy Terry offered to wheel me to the edge in my wheelchair and dump me in, but I don’t think that’s the way I want to do it…LOL! I guess I have a few more days to build up strength and figure it all out.

5. mljackson60 on January 2, 2012 10:15 pm

The pool deck was, and remains, a concern of mine too. Today it was not bad but I had to be careful because I did have to go through water and then onto a linoleum floor.

6. ryanb on January 3, 2012 10:55 am

When I first started swimming, I was worried about getting careless, so I made a rule for myself… the boot didn’t come off until I was seated at the side of the pool with my “good” leg in the water. From there it was pretty easy to scoot into the pool. Likewise, getting out, I’d scoot up onto the edge, dry my leg off, and put the boot back on before trying to stand up or doing anything else.

The walk to/from the pool was a very slow, very cautious journey. Fortunately, my pool is quite new, and the ground surface has a little traction - even when wet.

I actually felt most at risk in the locker-room changing into and out of the suit (slick, wet floor, boot had to be off). So, be extra careful there.

7. kathyw on January 3, 2012 4:17 pm

Ryan,

thanks for sharing your rule–that sounds good to me, and I think it will become my rule too…I’mnot sure I can hoist myself out up onto the pool deck–I have some shoulder weakness, but I could scoot up the pool steps on my backside and get out that way.

Changing is a concern of mine too–I may just take a terrycloth bathrobe with me and shower off the chlorine at home instead of in the locker room…

8. mljackson60 on January 3, 2012 7:29 pm

Ryan, That is a good rule and I think I will follow it. I will be with my swim coach most of the time so will feel a little extra security with that as well. I am fortunate because the locker room has a handicap space where I feel pretty secure but still have to watch my step.

9. club penguin on May 23, 2020 2:48 am

Congratulations on your recovery, you need to practice slowly because you have recovered. I like to swim and often go to the pool on weekends.

10. Crazy Games on April 13, 2021 11:09 pm

Crazy games include compelling story-driven gameplay. Set out on ventures through delicious scenes. Assemble things and unravel riddles to arrive at the next experience. Build domains and human advancements, or endure and investigate the landscape of unsafe sandbox universes.

11. Drift Hunters on August 9, 2021 7:51 pm

always be my fave game.

12. assignment help companies on September 15, 2021 1:18 pm

We have experts specializing in their own fields. They have the necessary knowledge, skills, and experience required for academic paper writing and tailoring it according to a particular educational level. Our services are available globally.

13. Gamil Accounts For Sale on October 26, 2021 2:38 am

The Google calculation works in puzzling ways. You can just utilize an old and checked Gmail Id to make a Google map posting and give true audits. The most important Pva Gmail Accounts available to be purchased are 2 to 10 years of age as they have been working till now so there will not be any issue in their utilization later on.

14. used new tires on February 9, 2022 4:45 am

The tire market has different sizes, styles, and brands, and understanding which tire can work for your vehicle may be confusing. We provide exceptional tire services from tire replacement, tire rotation, and everything your vehicle needs.

15. auto body shops in philadelphia on February 9, 2022 4:49 am

He is a well-respected businessman/leader in the community and has received many awards for various competitions in his field. His son Franco continues to follow in his footsteps. In keeping up with business ethics and determination. Franco strives for excellence, perfection and quality.

16. professional gynecological services on February 9, 2022 4:51 am

She finds great satisfaction in bringing focused medicine, health, and wellness, to her patients. Dr. has a personable and intimate rapport with her patients throughout their inner and outer health journey. She has enjoyed counseling patients and has addressed patients beyond the scope of traditional gynecology. In addition, Dr. cares for men in addressing their hormonal imbalances.

17. Wedding stations on February 9, 2022 4:53 am

Williamson Caterers offers a variety of menus and packages including All-Inclusive Wedding Packages, Station Menus, Cocktail Party Selections, Brunch and Buffet Menus, and Cook-Outs. Williamson Caterers welcomes the opportunity to customize a menu specific to your event budget and needs.

18. bbq restaurant near me on February 9, 2022 4:56 am

When people of the KPK (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa) want to treat a very special guest, usually the answer is a rich and tender lamb leg roasted in Peshawari style, served with salad, long grain rice and sauce.

19. Bathroom Cabinets | Cabinet and Stone City on February 9, 2022 4:59 am

Our expert designers are dedicated to producing layouts that ensure your design is distinctive to our clients’ liking as well as functional. We warmly invite you to browse our website or visit our freshly remodeled showroom to witness for yourself how Cabinet & Stone City can provide luxury without the cost!

20. world wide trucking company on February 9, 2022 5:01 am

We are keen on improving the quality of life for our drivers and their families by providing the best technology, higher pay, premium benefits, and ensuring efficient operations and load planning that lets them maximize their home life without sacrificing safety or income.

21. jughead jones jacket on February 9, 2022 5:03 am

Fame Jackets have so far served many of customers and thus we can claim to have customers wearing our jackets throughout the world. To make sure smooth and efficient shipping and delivery solutions Fame Jackets collaborate with the premium courier services working internationally.

22. Email Verifier on February 9, 2022 5:05 am

World’s Smartest email List Cleaning Service, Quick, simple and accurate. Bulk Mail Verifier will not only save you time but tons of money too!

23. Appyeet on June 20, 2022 5:12 am

Thank you so much. Keep up the good work. Are you searching for premium-free apps? if yes then, I know one site about Appyeet, it is one of the best free full version cracked software download sites that has been providing paid software to its users for free.

24. Slope Game on August 22, 2022 3:48 am

In Slope Game, you take control of a ball rolling down a steep slope. As you steer from side to side, your game plan is to avoid colliding. cool game!

Name (required)