Week 1

December 2, 2011

Day 2, the day after surgery wasn’t as painful physically as I thought it would be. I kept my leg elevated and applied ice every 4 to 6 hours as directed for the first 48 hours. I found that I actually needed the Lortabs about every 6 hours for the first 48 hours. Day 2 was just as was prescribed R&R.

Day 3, I’m up and around. Working with the crutches. Learning the in’s and out’s of crutches 101. Seeking out short cuts in the fine art of crutching. I have no movement in my left foot except for my toes, which are fine. The splint has my foot in a slight downward slant to rest and allow the tendon to repair and re-attach. Throughout the day I am finding that I can slowly ween myself from the Lortabs and simply use tylenol.

Day 4, Since I am an electrician and own my own business, I can always find something to do. The trick for me was to get back into a routine of heading back to work. This mean’t no weight bearing, but I could get a lot of invoice/paperwork done. I also found it very useful and helpful to get back into the routine of going to the YMCA and working out the upper body. If nothing else, it is helping me to keep sane and steer clear of boredom. The pain has subsided quite a bit. I use 600-800 of ibuprofen for spasms in my tendon and ankle. This seem’s to work better for me than the Valium which made me sleepy. I am off the Lortabs, now just using tylenol 500’s x 2 for any pain, which is mainly from the incision rubbing and healling.

Day 5 and 6 are basically the same. I there is one suggestion I would make, it would be to get into a routine to stay mentally with it. Whether it be working out or whatever you can find to keep your mind in it as well as physically.

Day 7. I am big into officiating athletic contests, both high school and college. Normally I would be starting my season of wrestling officiating but that has ended even before it began because of the surgery. That won’t stop me from attending sporting events and watching the wrestling and basketball. Tonight I attended a wrestling dual meet which I was to have actually officiated. Well that didn’t happen and won’t since I have a projected recovery of 10 to 15 weeks recovery with aggressive rehab. I need to be back on the field by March 1 since that is when my college season will begin. Wish me luck. It will take work, but it is attainable. No pain, no pain tabs. Now just time and healing. I have mastered getting in and out of the truck and our mini-van. hoo-raa

Entry Filed under: Uncategorized. .


  • 1. efrain66  |  December 3rd, 2011 at 12:47 am

    Nice first week. Just remember to be careful and not go too far. Some of us are clumsy and have had a miserable time of it. Routines keep it working. Another thin several people say and I am finally hopping on the bandwagon is to see it as a victory every day. The feelings, the lack of swelling, getting rid of pain meds, the normalcy.

  • 2. ryanb  |  December 3rd, 2011 at 12:55 am

    One thing I really think helped me was to keep a daily log. I’d try to find some small piece of progress almost every day… take a few less meds, walk a bit farther, spin a bit longer, etc. If I was feeling down, I could go back to that log and see that I WAS making progress-

  • 3. milford505  |  December 3rd, 2011 at 1:38 am

    Ryan, I couldn’t agree more. I’m new to the blog scene but I see small improvements daily. Sometimes physically and sometimes mentally or both. I knew it would be hard to just sit, so each day I try to increase physically or at least doing something that stimulates me mentally. So far so good. It is what it is. Wha I have found that may help me alot is the use of a knee walker. I am investigating that possibility more. My biggest boost so far is working out with a group that I have known for quite awhile. They know the situation and are careful about pushing in the right direction without damaging the no weight bearing rule. It also helps that one is an Ortho P.A. Semper Fi

    [WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

  • 4. milford505  |  December 3rd, 2011 at 1:44 am

    Agreed, I am now off the pain meds. That in it’s self to me is a victory to me. I have a great support group at home and at the YMCA. Each day gets better. One week into it and I am already looking forward to PT….of course it is a ways off, but hey, it’s something I can ask Santa for.:)
    Good luck to everybody. Like I said above, I am new to the blogging scene. I do have some pics of the surgery/ tendaon/bone fragment, but I am not sure how to upload them to a blog. I will look into that closer.

    [WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

  • 5. mljackson60  |  December 9th, 2011 at 6:15 pm

    I have a knee walker. It has really helped because I can get to the Rec Center, the grocery store and other places. My trainer has been working with me since the second week when I was cleared to return to the gym. There is a lot you can do on one leg.

On the run

ATR Timeline