Post-sugery, Day 2, early a.m.

Made it through night 2 uneventfully. Actually took the Percocet at bedtime and slept fairly soundly. Made a 4:30 excursion to the bathroom on crutches and was able to fall right back to sleep. Had a little discomfort after awaking and took some Motrin. If I can manage the pain/discomfort with Motrin and avoid the Percocet it seems sensible to do so. Now all I have to do is figure out how to fill my day; long days lying in bed or on the couch are not my cup of tea. I am used to being on the go all the time. My typical day (pre-ATR) would begin with an aerobic workout - either swimming, biking or the elliptical. I then commute to my office or court via railroad and subway. When not in court my day is generally a mix of working at my desk and attending conferences with clients and/or colleagues all geared to bringing cases to trial or some acceptable conclusion without a trial. The are often lunch or other meeting out of the office. Needless to say, for the next number of weeks life is going to be different. I’ve never been good at having my routine disrupted. I guess I’ll just have to deal with it the best that I can. One thing I intend to do is try to keep in shape the best that I can. That’s what the pushups on Day 1 were all about. Besides, with the crutches I want to maintain as much upper body strength as possible. I’ll probably do some weight lifting later today using an adjustable bench. What I really looking forward to is eventually getting a waterproof cast (fiberglass and Goretex) and getting permission from my doc to swim (not kicking with the injured leg, of course). Has anyone out there in ATR land gotten a waterproof cast? How long does it take to dry after it gets wet? Has anyone been able to swim with such a cast? If so, how far along in the process were you at the time? I’d love to hear and learn more about these waterproof casts. Any info will be most appreciated.

I’ll update Day 2 later.

2 Responses to “Post-sugery, Day 2, early a.m.”

  1. Michael - Glad to hear you are still doing well and staying positive. I think a positive attitude goes a long way during recovery. I’ll be curious to hear how your doctor handles your need to get back in the pool. I don’t think anybody on this site has gotten a gortex cast, but there are a couple who have tried a dry boot cover. I’ve thought that the gortex cast seems like a great concept. However, I’m guessing it might be 4 weeks before your doctor puts you in it. The biggest concern for the first several weeks after surgery is to minimize the risk of infection. I’m not a doctor, but I would think that, even if the cast dries rather quickly, it could still provide a moist environment for bacteria to develop. Once the incision heals, I think pool therapy would be excellent for rehab.

  2. MIchael..
    Gald to hear you are keping your spirits up. I agree with Tom, pools and open wounds do not fair well together. Best to be safe and not sorry. I have my 2 week post op appointment today and will ask about swimming as I want to get back to my routine as well. As for the couch scenario….boring…I have my laptop, TV, Tivo, books, journals, puzzles and a window. I decided on getting back to playing the sax which I put off because I was TOO busy. Make the best of the situation and learn something out of your box.
    Hope today is better than yesterday, you’re one day closer to the end.
    Doc Ross

Leave a Reply

To prove you're a person (not a spam script), type the security word shown in the picture.
Anti-Spam Image

Powered by WP Hashcash