meskigirl’s AchillesBlog

Just another AchillesBlog.com weblog

12 Weeks Post-op - too much?

Filed under: Uncategorized — meskigirl at 9:17 pm on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

I am now 12 weeks post op.  Good days and bad days.   Wondering when it will be that I am pain free - that was the whole idea when I decided to have the surgery.  I knew the commitment and long recovery but I don’t think I realized how patient I was going to have to be.  Fully weight bearing and on and off walking with no limp at all.  I have been doing a lot of ROM stretching and heel lifts - and  walking ,walking,  walking.   I am averaging about 14 - 16  miles per week.  Not sure if that is a lot or a little.  I do a 1.5 mile loop at our house in the mountains which has a lot of up hill and down hill and am pretty sore and swollen after.  Went to the gym for the first time tonight and I am concerned.  I have been sore the past couple of days and tonight I did 15 minutes on the elliptical (no resistance) and then some easy stretching.  My ankle is not really swollen that much except right around my scar - and there is a bulbous spot (much like the calcification before my surgery but soft - not hard) lump(s) there too.  Maybe I did too much?    Anyway - I am icing and plan on resting it tomorrow.  Scar looks pretty good.  Doc’s appt on the 20th so I will see what he has to say.   He is very conservative so it will be interesting to see how he thinks I am progressing.  I have a HUGE appreciation for all the hard work some of you have done to recover.

7 Comments »

Comment by normofthenorth

February 12, 2014 @ 2:02 am

Don’t forget to add some “tincture of time” to all that exercise-rehab. Even serious body-builders and weight-lifters usually take ~2 days off between workouts. RyanB did a good big writeup on his blog, about the way our muscles develop following the micro-injuries we cause with serious workouts. (One popular rule of thumb is that you should push hard enough that you’re stiff the next day, but not so hard that you’re still stiff on the third day.)

And all of that is just for muscles. Most of us have to strengthen a TENDON or two AT LEAST as much as we’re strengthening our muscles. . .

Comment by janis

February 12, 2014 @ 2:45 pm

I am about where you are in recovery too, 12 weeks today. I noticed I am sore while I am active, but being active has the effect of the foot feeling more flexible and pain free for the whole next day. Mind you I am just doing my PT 3 days a week, then trying to get in a slow, flat couple mile walk on the off days.

The only thing I would caution against is too much too soon… that is definitely how I got here to begin with. If you’re finding swelling at the achilles insertion, that could lead to formation of a bursal sac, and if it gets bad enough, a (or another) haglund’s deformity.

Comment by anne

February 12, 2014 @ 6:59 pm

Janis and Norm give great advice. The only thing I can add is I have a bulbous lump under my rupture point. I think it’s scar tissue. It’s gone down substantially with massage, but it’s noticeable. My doctor isn’t concerned so I won’t be.

I’m going for a bad-ass scar narlly scar tissue sexy look anyway. :)

Good luck.

Comment by meskigirl

February 12, 2014 @ 7:39 pm

Yes, I think I probably did too much - I did not feel it when I was doing it - it actually felt really good and loose for the first time. The thing that worries me is that there was no bump there before (up until last night) and there is now. Still really sore tonight so I did not go to gym - just elevation and ice. Made an appointment with a PT today so that they can monitor my excercise and results. Doc appt on the 20th so we will see what he says as well. Love the attitude Anne - I am too old to worry about how my scar looks - I just want to be bad ass athletic again without ruining my ankle! Thanks for the advice!

Comment by anne

February 12, 2014 @ 9:13 pm

Let us know what the prognosis is. I was looking back at my tendon scar “selfies” and when I went to 2 shoes, the bump wasn’t there. I don’t think it happened overnight, but it must have taken place in a short period of time. I am 6 ½ months now, and it’s much smaller but not gone.

If it makes you feel better, at about the same point you are now, I decided to see if I was a super hero and tried to walk on my toes and hop on my bad foot. I didn’t do too bad, but I was sore for a long time.

You’ll do great. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Comment by Ron

February 14, 2014 @ 10:25 pm

12 weeks out is where the work really begins. I am almost 6 months out and I don’t expect to be fully healed until another 6 months. My PT is 3 hours per day,but I realized that walking only goes so far.

ROM and Walking is great but cannot take the place of muscle and tendon building - resistance band work, heel raises, standing on the bad leg, sitting\standing to build knee\hip muscles and more.

I also agree with Norm, you have to have a workout routine that stops and goes - it can’t be ongoing, everyday, all day.

I look forward to see what you Ortho says on the 20th.

Have a great day, and good luck.
Ron

Comment by sallycolella

February 15, 2014 @ 12:54 pm

Hi - I am six months out and had similar experiences. When I pushed too hard I felt okay on the bike (especially standing) but then felt pain (particularly in heel) the next day or later that day. I backed off.

This is such a tough balance — too much and you need to take a break. Not enough and you don’t heal. I have been on either end of this extreme and just pay attention to my body and try to react to signals it is giving me.

I also am accepting it is going to be a year before I am fully healed. I used to be totally committed to over achieving in my achilles recovery but am coming to realize some things can’t be rushed. All the best.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI