meskigirl’s AchillesBlog

Just another AchillesBlog.com weblog

10 Weeks Post Op - Finally FWB

Filed under: Uncategorized — meskigirl at 8:46 pm on Sunday, January 26, 2014

After 10 weeks post op and 2 weeks since the cast has come off I am finally FWB.  I still do not have a normal gait.  My steps are very small and short due to the tightness in the tendon. But, progress!  Went from two crutches to one crutch and finally this weekend started FWB.  Now walking about 2 miles per day according to my fitbit.  Stretching and doing ROM excercises and calf raises each day multiple reps.  Hope to start in the pool this week.  Anxious to start really exercising but am not close yet.  FWB is painful and my foot is swollen and warm.  I have been icing and taking ibuprofin during the day.  I have stronger meds left over and have taken two over the last few days at night so I can sleep.   My goal is to get in at least one day of skiing before the season ends mid-April.  Feeling a lot more positive about things than I was at my 8 week update.

14 Comments »

Comment by kellygirl

January 27, 2014 @ 1:32 am

Congrats on the FWB. That is a great place to be. Keep up with the ice and elevate when you can. The pool sounds like a great way to practice your gait–wish I had access to a (heated) pool early on. Would have broken up the monotony of the spin bike. I’d try to avoid the ibuprofen if you can. I read somewhere around here that NSAIDs are not good for tendons. Maybe Norm or someone will chime in with the link.

Comment by normofthenorth

January 27, 2014 @ 2:22 am

I don’t have a link, KG. I’ve heard and read and repeated that NSAIDS are bad for healing tendons, but I’ve never seen (or searched for) any evidence. I don’t know if the claim is solid or not, sorry.

Comment by adrienne

January 27, 2014 @ 9:10 am

For what it’s worth, my doctor told me specifically not to take any NSAIDs while healing. He suggested Tylenol. But i haven’t seen (or searched for) any studies either.

Comment by janis

January 27, 2014 @ 4:27 pm

Congrats!

Comment by Ron

January 27, 2014 @ 8:31 pm

Good progress report.
Congrats.
Ron

Comment by Kyle

January 28, 2014 @ 3:18 pm

“Painkillers mask the pain causing people to over-stress and re-injure their shoulder… NSAIDs are known blood thinners and make the bleeding worse for fresh tissue injuries. Typical pain medications actually interfere with the healing process”. This was written by King Brand Healthcare who sell blood flow stimulators and cold compression wraps for ankle injuries and all soft tissue injuries. I repeatedly sprained my ankle years ago, I couldn’t drive for more than 20 minutes without having to stretch or rotate my ankle. I bought the blood flow stimulator from king brand and it’s finally getting better. It stimulates circulation to the injury, bringing oxygen and nutrients to repair the tendons. Check out their website, it is full of info.

Comment by sittinginthestands

January 29, 2014 @ 3:07 pm

congrats! great progress. i’m one week behind you. and striving towards FWB if OS okays that today!

Comment by micah1

January 29, 2014 @ 3:13 pm

Hi miskigirl, sounds like you are doing amazingly well, a 2 mile walk is quite a marathon, I remember my walks like it was yesterday. Keep at it. Micah

Comment by Coast2CoastHoya

January 29, 2014 @ 4:15 pm

Congrats on getting to FWB, meskigirl! Sounds like you and I are on very similar timelines; I was at 10 weeks on Monday 1/20.

2 miles, wow! I did my first two-mile walk last Saturday. I’m also doing a good amount of stationary bike (about 30 mins a day 4-5 days/week), which is helping a lot, too.

Keep it up and good luck!

Coast2Coast

Comment by kimc

January 29, 2014 @ 6:30 pm

I’ll bet you make your skiing goal! Congrats on getting to FWB and having a great attitude. For what it’s worth, I found walking to be especially beneficial in my recovery, so keep it up!

Comment by meskigirl

January 30, 2014 @ 6:16 pm

Thanks, Kim - Trying to stay positive during what is becoming a long road!

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

Comment by meskigirl

January 30, 2014 @ 6:17 pm

Thanks!

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

Comment by meskigirl

January 30, 2014 @ 6:17 pm

hi Coast - No bike for me yet (I actually hate the bike) but have started swimming a bit which is good. Getting better every day!

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

Comment by meskigirl

January 30, 2014 @ 6:18 pm

Good luck!

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI