How It Began

I am a dog walker for pleasure, I have two Newfoundland Mix breed dogs of my own. Professionally, I manage a large dog walking company in Chicago.trio-of-devils_

I was walking 3 sweet little pups, LucyFur, Madison and Oscar. It was a beautiful day. I deposited a bag of poop to a City of Chicago receptacle a few doors from LucyFur’s house. Madison and Oscar were visiting. The lid closed and with my next step I stumbled, stumbled, stumbled and SNAP! A POTHOLE! SERIOUSLY! I thought I had broken my leg. The initial pain was horrific. That soon gave way to a numbing sensation.

The dogs added a little comic relief. They are all dear friends of mine. Each of their little personalities came through. Both Madison and Oscar came to my side. With as much concern as their petite canine hearts could muster, gave comfort. LucyFur, diva that she is, pretty much moved away as if I had just ruined the entire walk with my dramatics.

Fortunately LucyFur’s neighbor witnessed my plight while caring for her planters on their third floor deck. She came to my side ready with a cell phone in case EMS would be needed.

She was happy to help get the pups home. No way for me to climb to the third floor apartment. I was amazed that I was able to stand. Once certain that I could very deliberately, gingerly take a step, one by one I  managed to get to the rear door a few garages east. She tossed me the keys to my vehicle and I made my way back to my office.

I was thinking I had a pretty bad sprain. Nothing some rest, ice and elevation couldn’t take care of. It was almost the weekend. I could work from home on Friday and see how it goes.

Friday morning came and the swelling was getting worse and pain increasing. I decided that I would head to the ER and see if perhaps I was broken. It was the beginning of the Memorial Day Holiday and I wanted to get help before there would be a crowd of food poisonings and Swine Flu cases all huddled together sharing symptoms.

The ER doc referred me to a podiatrist on Tuesday. Wrapped me in an Ace and sent me home on crutches. The Ace compression gave a certain relief and stability. I took the Motrin and rested.

After an exam the podiatry specialist sent me for an MRI. All signs pointed to an ATR. An acronym I learned on this site when I Googled her suspected diagnosis.

The MRI confirmed it and I was quickly scheduled for surgery. My last surgery was my tonsils in 1980. SURGERY!

Leave a Reply

To prove you're a person (not a spam script), type the security word shown in the picture.
Anti-Spam Image

Powered by WP Hashcash