Case 25: Non-operative treatment

Just another Achillesblog.com weblog

Case 25: Non-operative treatment header image 2

More info on the plasma injection

March 19th, 2009 · 6 Comments

Today was the 4 week mark!  I still remember the loud POP and the sharp pain…

I went to the surgeon again for the second (and last) plasma injection. This treatment is called an autologous conditioned plasma (ACP) injection, which involves removing some of my blood from my non-dominant arm and injecting part of the blood, the plasma, back into the ruptured tendon. The plasma contains platelets that release growth factors that may induce a healing process when injected at the site of the Achilles tendon tear.

The objective of the study is to determine whether non-operative treatment plus an ACP injection will provide improved overall results when compared to non-operative treatment alone.

As part of my standard non-operative treatment protocol, I am still in an aircast boot with 2cm (approx. 1 inch) heel lift with protected weight bearing with crutches. My physiotherapy consists of active plantar and dorsi flexion to neutral as well as inversion/eversion below neutral. I must say that I am still undergoing therapeutic ultrasound and Functional Electrical Stimulation.

Yesterday, for the first time since the injury (4 weeks ago) I put on my own running shoes and, under the supervision of the physiotherapist, I used the stationary bike for 5 minutes.  I was not very comfortable. It wasn’t quite encouraging.  I am hoping next time (in 5 days) I can do better! …. Let’s see.

Tags: Uncategorized

6 responses so far ↓

• 1 schmeck // Mar 20, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Mazmouza, ahh, the benefits of a University hospital. I would have opted for that kind of treatment if it had been offered, I think. I’m very curious about it - I hope you keep posting your progress. Good luck.

• 2 schmeck // Mar 21, 2009 at 9:28 am

Mazmouza, my wife wants to know how long it takes to separate the blood. Do you wait while they do it, or come back another day?

• 3 mazmouza // Mar 21, 2009 at 9:51 am

I think they put the blood in a centrifuge tube and run it for roughly 5 minutes at some very high G (don’t quote me, but I think I saw it on the machine at 1500RPM - I’m a curious and nosy person in nature). Then they can easy extract the plasma using a syringe. This process is commonly known as the platelet-rich plasma therapy. It is still being researched, as I indicated in my earlier blogs.

Here’s an article (non-scientific) that explains the process. Again, I caution everyone that this still is being studied. I’m only the 25th case at my university hospital where a few surgeons are studying it on ATR.

• 4 Rick Murphy Jacksonville firman // Feb 15, 2010 at 11:31 am

how many ACP injection is to many

• 5 Jacksonville firman // Feb 15, 2010 at 11:33 am

how many ACP injection is to many

• 6 Jacksonville fireman // Feb 15, 2010 at 11:35 am

How many ACP injections are too many