Jun

6 Weeks, 2 Days

Columbus, OH-I had my 4th PT session this Thursday and I walked around in my regular shoes for the first time and it felt GREAT! I warmed up on the bike as usual and then put on two shoes and walked back and forth with just a little help from one crutch which I barely used.  Instructions from the PT were to start walking an hour or two at home in a “safe” enviornment. With the help of heel insert in the back of my shoe underneath the sole, I then did some leg strength work, balance on my bad ankle and were able to perform squats as well.  ROM is almost as good as the other foot already.  There is no limping at all when I was walking with two shoes which surprised me. You can feel that tightness in your AT when you stride but no pain, just tightness which is starting to go away ever so slightly everyday.  I still am very careful and slow moving in the boot and will be extra careful when in two shoes. Just trying to strengthen my surrounding muscles for tendon support. Oh Yeah, I bought a new pair of New Balance running shoes so I will have as much cushion and support as I need.  To everyone that is new to the site, good luck, everyday gets better!

8 Responses to “6 Weeks, 2 Days”

1. 1 walshie June 21, 2008 at 8:14 pm

Now you are doing squats?? Youre just showing off now! Ha ha

2. 2 runrattyrun June 22, 2008 at 7:01 am

Jealous here. Congrats.

3. 3 kevined1 June 22, 2008 at 2:05 pm

Most of my stiffness is in the top of my ankle/foot area. The tendon is stiff, but I can’t even get to a normal gait in a boot with the stiffness from the top of my ankle. I’m assuming that the ROM exercises will relieve this.

Congrats on two shoes!!

4. 4 kristinatl June 22, 2008 at 3:46 pm

Thanks for the info on Colostrom. Fortunately my stomach is much better. :) Nice scar you have. :)

5. 5 walshie June 22, 2008 at 4:22 pm

matts I gotta tell ya: I was an awful patient today. I am supposed to be in this boot until the 27th, well I had it off most of the day at the beach. Yup, uneven sand, random rocks, numerous bud lights, barefoot, a recipe for disaster right?

Well it felt great barefoot. Went in the water and swam a bit…even played horseshoes. I was walking with a limp but still getting around pretty well.

It swelled up a bit and am now icing it down.

So no squats but a little piece of stolen sanity on my only day off of the week.

Do you wear that brace and the boot at the same time?

6. 6 matts June 22, 2008 at 5:57 pm

Runrattyrun-Thanks, I love the progress thus far

KevinEd1-I had that same stiffness when I first started PT and after daily ROM exercises 2-3 times a day–Alphabet, Circles, Flexing up and pushing down it really starts to help..The only stiffness is in the AT region and not the top of my foot/ankle area anymore.

Kristinatl-That is good to hear that your stomach is feeling good and that you are on your way to recovery! I have heard alot of good things about Colostrum and it has worked for me thus far. Although my intials are MD, I am far from a doctor, so they will have the ultimate say in supplements.

Walshie-What am I going to do with you brotha. Be careful my bloggin bro, the sand is probably no place for a newly reconstructed achilles tendon only 6-7 weeks out of the boot. Hopefully you are not on the same recovery time as Curt Schilling? Just Joking! I feel your pain about that boot. I feel like I could hyperextend my knee everytime I stride in that stupid thing. I think maybe I have a bigger boot then most, does yours come up to your kneecap? I even did some squats with a weighted medicine ball. Impressed? We are almost there, you know your body better then anyone with bare footing, just be careful. I would hate to see you fold up like Boston College in the national championship race last year. Go Bucks! Oh wait, we keeping coming in second place don’t we..

7. 7 marianne June 22, 2008 at 6:26 pm

Matt,
    What brand and what form of Colostrum do you take? I am also interested in supplements and like you googled Colostrum and found lozenges, powder and liquid….at the Synertek site. Does that happen to be the one you are using?
    Also, what improvements have you noticed and when did you start taking the supplement?
    Thanks for the info…

Marianne

8. 8 eriedutchgirl June 23, 2008 at 10:41 am

MattS,

Nothing beats 2 shoes! Now, if only we could shake that *&%$ limp! Good to hear all your progress.