Jun

Leap of Faith-Day 34

Columbus, OH-I had a dream last night that I was running a sprint and in my dream I reached down to feel if my achilles tendon was still there. Even In my dream, I still realized that my achilles was injured..shucks!! Day 34 and my second PT appointment and it was a great day. ROM was significantly better with no swelling and I got to ride the bike today without the boot and that was a great feeling. My therapist said that I was way ahead of schedule and was surprised by my doctors aggressive protocol that seems to be working well. She stated that they usually do not have someone come in and start PT until week 6-9.  If you think that I happy, you are right, I am very happy. For the first time today I see the light at the end of the tunnel and I am happy to see it. I am on pace for two shoes for July 7th and hopefully back to work by Labor Day.  Taking my first steps FWB was an uplifiting experience and I liken it to Indiana Jones movie in which he had to make a leap of faith. He knew that there was a walkway to the other side of a cave but he didnt see it. He just closed his eyes and knew that it would be there. I was nervous to take that first step but I had faith in my ankle and  my doctor that nothing bad would happen and guess what, nothing bad did happen. Today was a Good Day and I know that we have many down ones, but I was pretty happy for not even being five weeks yet.  A la Doctor Ross, my therapist stated that this injury is like a marathon and I need to take it slow. I laughed to myself and I told her “That I thought I heard that somewhere else too” haha..Happy Healing to all my bloggin buds..-Matt

8 Responses to “Leap of Faith-Day 34”

1. 1 walshie June 10, 2008 at 8:37 pm

Good to hear things are going well, matt..I’m day 41 and I dont start pt til late June…ugh..do you feel a lump where they reconnected your tendon? I got one.

“Throw me the Idol, I give you the whip!”

2. 2 matts June 11, 2008 at 7:28 am

Walshie-LOL..Thanks Walshie, I do have that bump as well. It seems to be going away though. PT is great and it has helped me so much in just a week. My calves still cramp up though when I walk in ‘Das Boot’. Do you have any heel inserts in your boot? I have only one, maybe that is the problem. Going out by the pool today. I am getting one heck of a tan and a sweet beard. I cant go back to work until I can jog so I guess I might as well enjoy it. Hey Walshie or Kevin Ed, What are the best irons to buy for a novice golfer just starting out? I have some titleist irons that are expensive but I cant hit them very well. I shoot about high 80’s low 90’s. I know it is probably me but I was wondering if you can suggest some more forgiving irons. Thanks-Matt

3. 3 damacar June 11, 2008 at 10:15 am

Matt-

Thanks for sharing. I’m Day 34 post op. I start PT on Monday, kinda nervous, pretty freakin excited. I feel like i’m finally going to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I’ve had the dreams as well. Thanks for some inspiration on a down day.

Dani

4. 4 ross June 11, 2008 at 12:38 pm

Matts…

Listen and learn from us veterans. It is great to compare healing timelines with those that had the surgery at he same time as you but to also read the blogs of those 4-6 weeks ahead of you.
    Labor day seems like a good date to return to work. So push yourself just not too hard and you’ll reach that goal.

Doc Ross

5. 5 jenni June 11, 2008 at 1:58 pm

Hey Matt,
    I had a dream last week that my achilles tendon was working, and was never hurt. I woke up thinking - “How mean was that!” Maybe I was dreaming the future . . . when it is all better! I took out my last heel wedge yesterday (6 weeks post-op), no cramping in my heel today, but I did have some 2 days ago. Wish I was at the pool . . . we just had a big hail storm, and have had many many rainy days lately. Enjoy the sun!
    Jen

6. 6 walshie June 11, 2008 at 6:50 pm

matts, I would say look on ebay, that is where the best deals are. There are always used sets for pennies on the dollar…I know myself and most of my other buds put last years product up for auction in the fall, just looking to move inventory. Also reps will give us demo sets for the members to try, hoping they like em and end up buying a set..those go on there too. I suggest irons that are: cavity back, oversize, perimeter weighted..if you hit 8-iron or less from 150 yds out then go w a stiff flex, otherwise go reg. You dont need graphite shafts, theyre a rip-off (think rust-proofing on a car). Most manufacturers pay only 3-5 bucks a shaft and then charge 175 - 250 bucks more a set.

…rolled a few putts today for the 1st time in a while…stroke still sucks.

Hey I plan/hope to play in a big tournament the week before Labor Day..we share similar goals..heres to reaching them!

7. 7 mcmormack63 June 12, 2008 at 7:10 am

Good for you Matt.
    I am at the same stage 35d days removedfrom surgery. I took the boot off about a week ago and walked or shall I say limped around but had to put it back on the last couple of days. It swelled a bit. I am ahead of schedule but am realizing we can’t rush this rehab. I am able to do some weight work and now walk pretty well with the boot. Next week I am determined to ditched the boot.

8. 8 matts June 12, 2008 at 8:16 am

Mcmormack63, Jenni, Damacar,Doc Ross,Walshie-Thanks for all the kind words! With the exception to Doc Ross, we are all around the same timeline for healing. This injury has changed my views on the importance of health and how just taking a step without pain can make you happy. As my mom has always told me ‘If you lost everything that you have today, how happy would you be to get it back tomorrow’! P.S.-Thanks Walshie for the golfing tips!-Matt