3 Months Post Op

Posted on October 9th, 2009 in Uncategorized by mattachille

It’s been a while since my last post and here I am at 12 weeks post op. Time flies when your summer is really sucking due to unexpected sports injuries.

My recovery continues to go well and so far trouble free. Still going to physio although I have cut down to once a week. I’ve gone a bit beyond the actual exercises they are putting me through, but still feel like  I am getting benefit from massage on the scar tissue. Also the time out from work to concentrate fully on the ATR once a week is a bonus.

Here’s a quick rundown of the status:

• Been at 2 shoes since week 6, crutches & boot a distant memory.
  • Physio since a week before 2 shoes (13 visits to date), just started wearing normal vs training shoes this week.
  • ROM more or less normal, maybe a couple of degrees to go on plantar flexion.
  • Walking also basically normal except at the end of a long day. Going down stairs is still a challenge, but improving with some physio exercises directed specifically at this area.
  • Strength returning, am doing double leg heel raises and double raise followed by controlled lowering on bad leg only. Single leg heel raise is still a stretch goal, but I feel it’s just around the corner.
  • Just got cleared to start back on ellipticals in the gymn and to go back to golf.
  • Started driving again with right foot about a week ago (previously using left) and apart from being tiring in traffic its ok.
  • I do get some stiffness in the ankle first thing in the morning, but luckily I’ve been able to get into our gymn at work most days and 10 minutes walking on the treadmill cures it.

So all in all things are progressing faster than I’d ever dared to hope.

I continue to be fascinated and inspired by all the stories on the site and am checking the blogs everday. So wish everyone well in their recoveries till next time.

6 Responses to '3 Months Post Op'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to '3 Months Post Op'.

1. sam66 said,

on October 10th, 2009 at 3:28 am

That all sounds great. Yes, going downstairs is much harder than up, isn’t it?
    Perhaps I wil lbe brave and try some driving with husband in case I get too tired. Concerned about the number of hill-starts I would need to do on my normal driving routes plus emergency stops. Have you had any trouble with those?

2. Grannygail said,

on October 10th, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Am 62, have had numerous achilles tendon injuries in both heels. However, now it might be ruptured. I am concerned because I have had 5 back surgeries, and anything different with my feet make my back hurt. Anyone have such problems?

3. mattachille said,

on October 10th, 2009 at 6:44 pm

Stairs are definitely my nemesis right now! A lot of it is mind over matter I think, just making myself use proper technique rather than the peg leg approach.

I drive an automatic so hill starts are not really a problem, but I would also be worried about holding the clutch. My only real issue with driving has been the speed of getting the foot from one pedal to another especially for sudden braking. That’s one reason I kept on using the left foot for so long. However it gets better very quickly with practice.

4. mattachille said,

on October 10th, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Grannygail, can’t speak to the back problems (I started doing Tai Chi about 8 years ago and it cured any back problems I had virtually overnight). I would say your first priority is to get the tendon fixed, hopefully it’s not ruptured, and then worry about the back. I can’t say enough about physical therapy right now as I’ve had great experience with this injury. Whatever your situation with the tendon I would recommend looking into it if you have access to a good physio.

5. alexbrown said,

on October 11th, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Yoga cured my lower back pain and sciatic nerve problems. Read some very interesting research that said that calcium deficiencies in women cause tendon problems….many women are calcium deficient. Could be the case!

6. on November 15th, 2009 at 11:01 am

Proper posture is important.