Final (?) Surgeon Follow Up

Posted on September 14th, 2009 in Uncategorized by mattachille

I had my first visit in a month to my surgeon today and expect it will be the last. He basically said don’t come back unless you have a problem. After taking a look at the ankle he pronounced himself happy with the results and then enquired into the PT situation. I told him all was good and that ROM is about 90% there, but strength is still a problem. He seemed to think that was pretty normal and basically said keep going to PT until I feel like it’s not benefiting me.

Actually he surprised me with an unusually (for a surgeon :-)) insightful comment that this stage, 2 months post op, can be tricky as it’s the point where real life starts to intrude into ones recovery and PT regime. I’m definitely feeling that right now, much as I love PT, going twice a week for an hour and a half + travel time etc.. is a hassle and increasingly finding time for exercises during the day is getting harder. I’ve let a few things slide work wise and now really need to catch up. Going to have to re-arrange a few things and get back into some discipline to make sure I keep up with the PT homework.

Essentially I think I’ve reached the point where the AT is no longer “THE PRIORITY”, but “A” priority amongst many.

AT wise things are good. As mentioned above the ROM is pretty¬†good and I’m even starting to be able to walk down stairs normally which was my last hurdle to regular walking. I’ve started strengthening exercises on the calf, but not seeing huge improvements yet. Both my surgeon and therapist say that I’m past the danger point for re-injury so whilst I’m not about to take up karate or anything I feel a little less paranoid. Surgeon says follow the same routine for another month and then at three months go back to normal activity as much as physically able.

That’s it for now, hope everyone else is doing well.

6 Responses to 'Final (?) Surgeon Follow Up'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Final (?) Surgeon Follow Up'.

1. bubble said,

on September 14th, 2009 at 5:33 pm

Great post - and really given me hope by the comment ‘at three months go back to normal activity’

Thanks and best of luck!

2. mattachille said,

on September 14th, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Thanks. I think the operative part of his comment was “as physically possible” :-). The strong implication was after 3 months you could do pretty much all activities, but don’t expect to be able to. Here’s hoping though.

3. dsut4392 said,

on September 15th, 2009 at 1:27 am

Hi Matt,
    I just got back from basically the same talk with my surgeon (2.5 months post op tomorrow and no need for any more follow up).
    The only exception is that I was told to avoid activities involving rapid ‘eccentric contraction’ (such as rock-hopping) until 6 months post-op where possible. In concentric contraction (the jump) it is easy to determine your limits, whether phyical or through pain, and reduce your output to prevent damage, but in eccentric contraction (the landing) you just have to absorb whatever force gravity + mass dish up for you.
    How’s your limp? I still can’t do a heel raise which is holding me back from full normality.
    Dylan

4. sam66 said,

on September 15th, 2009 at 1:52 am

Well done! That’s great news.
    Still have a way to go myself, but will get there too!

5. dancingdoug said,

on September 15th, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Congratulations Matt. I meet with my surgeon tomorrow for what I expect is the “don’t come back” appointment. Your insightfullness about you surgeon is funny. I think mine might actually be an android.

6. mattachille said,

on September 15th, 2009 at 5:26 pm

Thanks all.

Dylan -

I think your physio is absolutely right about the uncontrolled movement like landings etc…I’m not planning on doing anything overly adventurous for a while, would just like to get back to golf & cycling.

The limp is almost gone, especially when I concentrate. My PT told me to take a couple of time outs each day and walk for 5 minutes concentrating on taking smaller strides and working on form to get rid of it all together.

At this point I’ve not attempted standing heel raises (in fact my therapist has said today don’t try for at least a few weeks). I’m using the leg press machine at my gymn to do heel raises with less weight. Right now I can handle around 70lbs on the bad ankle so no way I could do a full heel raise of my 180lbs. Actually the worst part is not the lift, but the lack of control on the way back down. Will just keep upping the weight and see how that goes.

Doug - Resistance is futile!