Bring on the pain….!

Posted on August 19th, 2009 in Uncategorized by mattachille

Here I am at basically 5 weeks post op. Time flies when you’re having fun.

Today I had my first PT session which was good and the ankle feels looser and stronger just from the one session. Seems like I had a pretty standard PT experience starting with the whole patient history spiel followed by testing the current range of movement. My dorsiflexion and plantar flexion is about 10 degrees less in the injured foot than the good one, ankle inversion looks good, but eversion is pretty wimpy at this stage.

This was followed by pretty strenuous massage in and around the incision which felt fantastic, a little discomfort at times, but nothing too worrying and my initial 6 exercises for homework (ankle pump, inversion/eversion with stretchy band, toe curls, hip abduction and assisted hamstring stretch). For now it’s all fairly conservative stuff as I still have a week left in the boot. Will most likely have two sessions a week for the next 4 weeks or so and I expect it to get a lot more challenging.

The only slightly depressing thing was my lack of strength in the calf, could not really do seated calf raises too well at this stage. I measured my calf this morning and even though I seem to have only lost about 1/2 and inch on the bad side the muscle is basically just a passenger at this stage. Weirdly I feel as if I may even have been too conservative in the exercises I’ve been doing up to now. It’s hard to know how much you can push when you have no professional guidance and are justifiably terrified of re-rupture, but I feel like I could have been further along. That said it’s fantastic to be actually doing something positive to recover and I know I’ve been luckier than many in the speed of my recovery so far, so it’s all good.

Hope everyone else is having a good day and keep hanging in there.

7 Responses to 'Bring on the pain….!'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Bring on the pain….!'.

1. ruckerrod said,

on August 19th, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Just got my cast after 19 days in a posterior splint. The incision was healed well. Did you do any exercises while in the cast? Stairs are daunting with crutches.

2. mattachille said,

on August 19th, 2009 at 5:38 pm

I was lucky enough to only be in the hard cast for a week after surgery, boot since then. So exercise per say was not really a problem although getting around on crutches was enough of a workout. I was able to wiggle the toes a bit and do some gentle flexing of the ankle as I had a loose-ish cast, but that’s about all.

I’m just thinking about getting back into the gymn to do upper body weights and stationary biking. The main thing that held me back before was the hassle of showers and changing rooms where I’d have to crutch around. From next week should be able to walk so should be ok.

Stairs were definitely the most challenging thing with the crutches. I found the standard method (Going up place crutches on the stair you are standing on and raise bad foot to next level, then reverse to go down) ok after some practice. The key thing is to take the time to really be sure of your balance on each step and especially when going up to make sure you’re leaning into the stair a little. That way if you do have balance issues you fall towards the stair not backwards.

3. dsut4392 said,

on August 19th, 2009 at 9:06 pm

I started going to the gym before 3 weeks post-op while I was still PWB. The crutches were a nightmare around the pool area, and I nearly had a fall and re-rupture in the steam room (going without the boot, planted my bad foot to avoid a fall when the crutches slipped).
    As soon as I was FWB in the boot, I removed the boot liner while at the gym and wrapped a small towel around my leg instead, this let me wear the boot into the showers and steam room (and stops you getting the liner sweaty and smelly!). The boot itself dries off quickly enough, and this let me ditch the crutches, which was much safer.
    Once you are showered and dried off, and have let the boot drain a little while, put the liner back in.
    May not work with one of the fancy air-boots so YMMV.

I found hopping pretty effective at getting up and down stairs, but can say from experience that fluffy socks and polished timber stairs are not the safest combination;-) A safer and less tiring way of climbing stairs was to use a crutch on one side and the hand rail on the other (if the hand rail is sturdy enough of course). This feels safer and more stable to me than using crutches on both sides.

4. sam66 said,

on August 20th, 2009 at 4:01 am

‘Cos I’m still in cast and NWB I go up the stairs backwards on my bottom just using my arms and my good foot in a trainer to push up while holding the other leg up out of the way - the muscle on the top of the thigh there is becoming much more toned than the other one! Same sort of thing going down. Guess when I’m out of the cast and weight-bearing I’ll try the one crutch and handrail method till safe on both feet.
    Also a friend has lent me a recumbent exercise bike which I’ve been told to only do this one-legged for the time-being. At least it feels like some exercise in the good leg without so much stress on the ankle as hopping around. Same friend (yoga/pilates instructor) added to my leg-raise/sit-up routine - all without stress on the injured leg. But still feeling flabby compared to before.

5. on August 31st, 2009 at 3:31 am

Yes,time always pasts fast when we are funny.

6. on September 13th, 2009 at 11:38 pm

we need persiverence to do excersise.if you do it someday but quit it soon it will not work well to our body~~

7. on September 24th, 2009 at 12:14 am

indoor climbing gear…

As a sport, climbing engenders self- reliance as well as building team spirit and can provide an arena where a sense of real achievement can be attained even by those not used to finding success in physical pursuits….