Aug 04 2012

10 Weeks Post-Op; Wound Finally Healed **

Published by marklewis67 at 4:53 PM under Uncategorized

Hi, everyone …

So ~ I had my 3 weeks followup appt w plastic surgeon @ the wound center this past Tues … and, after 3 weeks of twice a week  wound dressing  / compression wraps & elevation … my two lingering open wounds from my incision have finally healed! .. Skin over the wounds is still a bit fragile, so I’m doing another week of same protocol to avoid a re-opening .. and, after getting fitted yest @ the hospital .. Starting next Tues~ I wear a compression stocking for a month (9/4) to help the wound area/skin strengthen and granulize even more.

So, very relieved about the healing of the two wounds … still have compression dressing on now (4 wraps ~ no antibiotic guaze over wound) , and when it gets cut off on Tues (8/7) for last time ~ I will be psyched .. Will also be “discharged” from the wound center & will be very glad not to have to go to the hospital twice a week anymore.  The compression stocking will be a little bit of a hassle ~ but also a lot thinner & if that what it takes for a month to ensure no re-opening .. then I’d rather be safe than sorry .. This injury has been a cascade of inconveniences, challenges, frustration & changes .. so, I’m just chalking the stocking up to yet another inconvenience.  So, the wound situation is done & that treatment tapering off … now onto the achilles itself .

So, saw my ortho on 7/17 and he gave me the OK to start walking in boot  & driving !  Protocol for transitioning from crutches/boot to boot only ?  one week w 2 crutches, one week w one crutch & one week w cane … needless to say ~ after one week, I was walking w boot w nothing else .. crutches, etc … My ortho looked @ wound and told me that he thought it was ok to start the boot walking, etc .. But, when I walked into the plastic surgeon appt this past Tues  ~  he flipped out … “What are you doing walking!! . .I told you to stay on crutches for another 3 weeks until u saw me to give wound a chance to heal, etc!!”  .. I rightfully blamed my ortho & my hatred of my crutches .. and, considering the wound healed anyway ..  crisis averted  :)

I go back to ortho this Tues along w picking up my compression stockings @ the hospital (across the street) .. and, I’m HOPING that he gives me the green light to ditch the boot .. Fingers crossed !!  But,  I have to confess something to you guys however .. My wife and kids left yest for Martha’s Vineyard yest and I am home alone for a week .  Long story why I didnt go, but u can prob figure it out ~ beach, boot, 5 hr car ride w no leg elevation possible & don’t want to take off anymore work than I already have bc of ATR, etc . … so, maybe bc I was alone and feeling brave ~ I started walking around my second fl w no boot & bare feet .. achilles felt good and it was def a liberating experience … I did it yest evening, in middle of night and this a.m. a bit … I just wanted to walk so badly and I’m glad I did … I justified it by the fact that my achilles got a few extra weeks of healing bc of the wound sitch .. and also, banking on the belief that my ortho will give me the green light in a few days to do what I was doing last night … I’m just front running him by a few days.   Felt good like I said and gave me a little bit of my self esteem back.

So, next Tues is a big day for me … hopin to ditch the boot & start w 2 shoes.  And also start PT  ~  whatever that entails.   My goal is to be back on the golf course in Sept, but, I’m going to be happy to just be able to walk in some shape or form, wear 2 shoes, and also start wearing pants to work again!  Although the shorts in this brutal summer in NYC have been a blessing ..  my shower chair, crutches, cane are all in mothballs .. hoping to add my Vaco Cast & Cam boot to the pile on Tues night !   We’ll see …

So, wound sitch pretty much done .. 10 weeks post op yest … possibly getting out of boot this upcoming week, house to myself for a week :) … let’s just say things are FINALLY starting to go my way … knowing this injury though ~ I’m sure something bad will happen sometimes soon .. But, if things continue to develop favorably .. I’m def ready to ramp up my recovery w PT .. and really start to see some concrete milestones surpassed in the next month or so … 2 shoes, walking, PT, exercise, golf ??  I hope so …

Been reading everyone’s posts ~ and you all continue to be an inspiration to me by your progress & recovery … this injury is such a bear .. such a bear .. and I have never felt so lonely at times during this recovery in my entire life … But, getting to know a lot of you & going through our shared common struggle together has been a blessing in so many ways.  I would never wish admission to our community on anyone  .. but, that’s what we are together .. a community/family of people all going through the same adverse life event together.  it’s been a huge help to me and one of the few blessings to have come out of this injury.  Take care everyone .. you’re all in my prayers always … Recover soon!! Will let you know what happens Tues, etc … Bye for now ~

Best

Mark

12 Responses to “10 Weeks Post-Op; Wound Finally Healed **”

1. Curlygirlon 05 Aug 2012 at 12:35 AM

mark,

I am so happy to hear that your wound has healed. The tone of your entire posting is positive and upbeat. I feel so glad that you have returned to a ‘ happy place ‘

I have had my ups and downs too, and the ups are so sweet when we get there.

2. normofthenorthon 05 Aug 2012 at 1:13 AM

Ya, good news and good work on the wound, Mark. Don’t forget to Watch Your Step with the AT, though, since you’re still at the peak period of risk to reinjure it. I’m not sure I’d trade much increased risk for the self-esteem you’re getting from pushing it, but it’s your choice. Good luck and continued good healing.

3. paulson 05 Aug 2012 at 9:12 AM

Sorry about the wound situation but once you get the all clear on that PT is the next step! I have been pushing that already but cautious to a point! Take care!

4. joanon 05 Aug 2012 at 10:56 AM

I am so happy for you!!!
    After your last post, I have been thinking about you and hoping that things are getting better.
    It is hard to resist the temptation of trying to walk before you are given the green light. I did the same thing and felt both proud and guilty at the same time.
    It sound like things are moving forward now. It is amazing how quickly things progress once you get started.
    Congratulations and good luck.
    Joan

5. Kimon 05 Aug 2012 at 3:21 PM

Glad to hear your good news! What a relief that you can move forward now. :)

6. andrew1971on 05 Aug 2012 at 5:17 PM

Terrific news so much better than a few weeks ago and I am really pleased for you :)

I can only echo what the others have said - push within your own limits but the boot is there to avoid re-rupture in a critical period of your recovery.

As someone recently said in my blog - it’s like a crash helmut - you don’t need it to walk, but you’ll be grateful you’re wearing it if you trip or fall… cases of ne it’s just protection in the event of an accident now.

Again fantastic news and happy healing :)

7. rogergon 06 Aug 2012 at 2:36 PM

Hi Norm, all interesting stuff; ruptured my AT end June, in pot for three weeks, conservative rehab, Equinus: before that particular NHS hospital declared they would leave me in pot (changing) for twelve weeks; no enhanced rehab ! I found myself another NHS hospital and bought myself a vacoped boot. My new orthopod liked the boot (not seen one before), read up about it and decided three weeks nwb,then straight into fwb with ‘clumpy sole’, subject to pain (!); then another 3 weeks before going into flat sole fwb. He (specialist knee & ankle man) thinks I will be in boot for 9 weeks total, if all goes well. I went up to my Rugby Club on Saturday and met two guys who’ve had ATR’s in the last six months; both underwent surgery, both got infections and have horrendous scars; not healed properly yet; glad I went the other way with conservative (no choice !). Unlike a lot of people on the Blog, I have no wish to participate in any explosive sporting activity, just want to be able to do some fast walking and cycling. My ATR happened after six months treatment for severe tendonitus/tendonopathy and now the rub, am not insured for being unable to fly, as the condition existed before the rupture ! Comments on that one please

RogerG

8. rogergon 06 Aug 2012 at 2:38 PM

AND, no physiotherapy until the boot is off; comments on that one also please.

RogerG.

9. nutkinon 06 Aug 2012 at 4:34 PM

Hi Mark

Reading your posts was a bit like looking in the mirror of mine own feelings and emotions. I had to have my Achilles lengthened in Sept 2011, and I completely understand your frustration with recovery and the impact all of this has on your life.
    One of the extra things I did was take up Pilates, I do this with a physio to make sure I don’t put my Achilles at risk but I have found it has helped with my balance and helped to ensure I maintain muscle condition in the other parts of the leg.
    Hang in there buddy it does and will get there.
    Karen.

10. housemusicon 06 Aug 2012 at 11:12 PM

Great news!
    The boot offers protection, when you go to 2 shoes you are vulnerable. You’ve got nothing to gain and a lot to loose by trying to speed up the process. Stay focused and watch your step, particulary the stairs at home!

11. doryton 08 Aug 2012 at 1:33 AM

Mark I am so thrilled for you! I am so happy you healed so quick in comparison to me. Where were your two wound sites? Close to the ankle or heel, or higher up your leg? Mine was right at the calcaneus. Hang in there and hope yu can start your PT soon.

12. Margon 10 Aug 2012 at 10:39 PM

Hey Mark. So glad to hear the wounds are healed. I am so happy for you. I am wearing a shoe for about one hour per day. I am in our pool lots exercising and stretching. Lunges hurt the most, but seem to do the most. Keep healing and keep us posted. On my bad/sad days when I am so frustrated with recovery, this blog gets me through. Thank you Mark and everyone. We are definitely all in this crazy surgery recovery together. Cheers, Marg