8 weeks post op

Things are becoming more normal.  Tomorrow will be 8 weeks post op and I’m doing well.

I’ve had 2 PT appointments (1x/week), the third tomorrow.  Because of the movements I started before PT, I am ahead of schedule, just as I was hoping for.  I have almost full ROM.  My PT was surprised and thinks I’m doing excellent, but has also warned me to be cautious and not overdo.  I’ve been in 2-shoes since my last ortho appointment 2 weeks ago, when they took the boot off.

I still have a slight ‘hitch’ to my step, so PT says no treadmill yet.  However, am hoping that tomorrow or the following week of PT that I will be released to start Pilates again.

Hope everyone is still hanging in and recovering well!

Feeling positive, making progress

Ok, I’m now 4.5 weeks post op and am doing well in the boot.  Haven’t used crutches at all.  My heel/foot get quite sore after walking in the boot for about 3 hours or so, but then I take it off and give my foot a break.  I usually just rest it and/or do some stretching.

I have also been walking around the house without the boot.  I don’t think I’m necessarily supposed to do this, but have been trying it out - with caution.  Feels pretty good, but again gets sore if I do it for long periods.

Hoping my next appointment (on the 10th) the boot will be off permanently and I’ll be off to PT, as well as allowed to finally drive!

Hope everyone else is doing well with recovery!

First Post Op Appt - Great Surprise…flat heel boot, FWB!

Well, I went to my first post-op appointment in a bit of a fluster.  I had to take my dog to the emergency vet at 1230 am and then attend a 6 am call for work.  However, I still made it to my appointment on time and awake!

I was curious to see the incisions (not bad) and what position the boot would be put in.  Come to find out, they put me right into a flat heel (no angle) boot and I was told I could start bearing weight as I could tolerate, with or without crutches!  I was a little apprehensive about this, but the day has progressed well.  I’ve been walking without crutches most of the day and evening, with periodic breaks.  The foot and heel definitely get sore, but not near what I expected. And even more surprising, little to no swelling!

I have strict instructions to wear the boot when I’m up and while in bed, but can take it off while seated and start on ROM.

I’m shocked that just two weeks and 1 day after surgery I am FWB!  Now, the caveat - I had an FHL tendon transfer. My OS said this is one of the benefits.  Fine by me!  Just wish he would have told me that beforehand, because (if you read/recall my previous post) I already bought a VacoPed with an extra liner that will now need to get returned.  I am keeping - and now using - the EvenUp shoe, it works great!

So, as down as I was becoming about this injury and looking forward to the next step, I’m now over the moon!  I’m sure the coming days will still prove trying and will have some aches and pains, but I’m now seeing some light.

Hope others are recovering well!

Anyone ever used products from aidmyachilles.com (freeze or inferno wraps)?

Have been looking at their freeze and inferno wraps to help aid in recovery, but would like to know if anyone on here has used either product and if so, what they thought of them?

Second Post - 2 days to first post op appointment

I am now nearly 2 weeks post op and cannot wait for Thursday!  I will be returning to the ortho office to have the splint taken off, staples/stitches removed and will see for the first time what my incisions look like.

I must admit that for the last two nights, I’ve removed the splint but rebandaged the foot/leg over the dressing.  I was having a very difficult time sleeping, as the splint was making the gauze on my incisions snag and pull.  Very uncomfortable!

One other thing to note, I’ve removed the splint tonight and actually - very gently - stood flat footed, which was done with no pain.  I didn’t take a step, as I knew that would not be smart.  I’ve also been gently stretching the foot/leg a bit in both directions (dorsi/plantar).

The tendon (transfer) is very tight.  I assume once I start walking with the boot and start ROM exercises that it will stretch??  I suppose any repairs feel tight/short at first, given the immobilization period.

I should have also mentioned in my first post that after reading several stories, I prepared myself with equipment.  I purchased the iwalk 4 days after my initial injury, purchased a shower chair and vinyl cast cover for showering, and purchased the VacoCast before surgery, although my ortho knows nothing about it and doesn’t seem to support the idea that I bought it and want to use it.  He told me I’d wear what he put me in.  I know from others stories that many wore the CAM boot to their ortho appointments, but then returned to their VC when they got home.  I suspect that is what I will do…

First post - Right Ft Rupture 10/20

I ruptured my Achilles at the gym on 10/20.  Funny how I knew what it was immediately, even though I had never read what these felt like or knew anyone personally who has experienced this.

I had gone to the gym for my Pilates session (1 hour), then did a 15% incline walk on the treadmill (30 min) while waiting for an Intro to Boot Camp class to start.  The class was being held outside in the parking lot because of the nice weather that day.  We did some stretching and warm up exercises and then started to get into the workout.  I was 40 minutes into the hour when we started doing some running (slightly uphill, on hard pavement/asphalt).  We were to run to the top of the hill, do 10 squats then run back.

Now, I thought with all the other working out I had done beforehand that my muscles were plenty warmed up.  I felt good during the BC class as well.  However, during the second run up the hill and completing my squats, I turned to run back and SNAP - I felt this sharp pop in the back of my leg.  I turned to look behind me to see if I stepped in a hole, hit the curb or what.  But as everyone else says, there was nothing there.  That’s when I knew…it registered in my head immediately and then the dreadful thought ‘oh no, not my achilles’.  There was a warm sensation through my calf, then I started seeing stars, feeling lightheaded and thought I was going to throw up!

A trainer came out and carried me back into the gym, where they proceeded to ice it immediately.  I managed to drive home (a bit difficult), uncertain if I needed to go to urgent care (only because some trainer said it probably wasn’t a rupture because he’d had one and that I wouldn’t be able to feel anything if it was - ha! wrong answer).  Trusting my gut, I got home and had my mom take me.  They diagnosed it as a partial rupture.

Two days later, had an appointment with an ortho clinic.  Their foot/ankle doctor took an X-ray (not sure why, didn’t seem to provide any insight).  I asked if he did percutaneous fixes, as I didn’t really want open surgery.  He said he did not; he would do a tendon transfer.  Now, I had to actually ask him what that meant and why.  Apparently, that was the only type of ‘fix’ he performed.  I did not want to have surgery, but couldn’t really find alternatives in a good amount of time - I didn’t want this to go untreated for more than 10 days.  So, I got online and started doing research.

Luckily, this site is one of the first things I found.  I must have read 200 posts/stories throughout the course of the first week.  It has been very helpful to read the different triumphs and tribulations everyone has gone through.

The worst part of the surgery for me was waiting for the nerve block to wear off.  I was going nuts!  I cannot stand to have that numb or tingling feeling.  I don’t use novocaine at the dentist for the same reason.  What a nightmare.

After coming out of the pain block (30 hours), the worst part was noticing the muscle atrophy (which seemed to happen within a week) and then just having to sit around and be patient, leg elevated.

One thing to note, my ortho said that my tendon probably ruptured due to degeneration.  I was a bit put off by that answer, as I’m quite active and didn’t think I was that old.  Maybe I ignore my age more than I should, but I don’t think 48 is that old, especially when healthy and active.  As I read more online, I found that one other factor that can attribute to weak tendons is the use of corticosteriods.  This is concerning, as I was getting a corticosteroid shot once a year for allergy/sinus issues.  My doctor had always said having the shots - which are systemic - were not good to continue long term.  While I’ve been very concerned about my other achilles since this injury occurred, this heightens the feeling even more.

I think when I return to my activities, I will skip the boot camp and running, and instead will go back to focusing on pilates, yoga and strength training.

Hello world!

Welcome to AchillesBlog.com.

This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start blogging!

Following link will take you to your blog’s “command center” where you can write your posts:

Be sure to fill out your city, Achilles rupture date, surgery date, etc.. (if you know it) here:
Fill out my Achilles Profile Here

When you do, you can keep track of your recovery progress and see your information on the Marathon Tracker.

Here’s more info: using Achilles Timeline Widget

Please change this post’s title to something more descriptive. Just leaving it as “Hello World” leads people to believe that you haven’t updated your first post!

If you have any questions, don’t be afraid to ask! :)