Jul

3000 miles from home…hey, that looks familiar

At 3 weeks post op (boot, PWB) I flew from NYC to LA for a long-planned family visit/vacation.  Dr. Very Laidback gave me his typical blessing, “Might be a little awkward, but you’ll be fine.”  I am already down to one crutch and have even started doing the Frankenstein walk without crutches at times.  Because I feel more mobile than ever, I debated whether or not to use a wheelchair in the airport. I did, and boy am I glad.  A couple of months ago I wouldn’t have even noticed the vast distances covered during everyday life.  Instead as I was being wheeled through JFK and LAX I kept thinking to myself, “There’s no way I could have done this.”

I took off the boot during the flight but couldn’t elevate my foot. Didn’t spend too much time worrying about it because the focus was on my 4 year old and 11 month old daughters who both have stomach bugs.  I believe it was somewhere over Arizona when my wife clinched the Woman of the Year award as she cleaned up the vomit covering her and the baby.

It would be another couple of hours—rent the car, drive to Long Beach—before I got a look at my foot. Whoa, the sucker was swollen. The worst I’ve experienced.  As startling as it was to behold, it was just as reassuring how quickly it improved. Things were back to “normal” after maybe an hour of ice and elevation.

Okay, so now off to Target to pick up some stuff for the kids we needed. I’m scooting around in style when I hear a woman say, “That’s what you need.”  I look up to see her friend on crutches, her foot in a fiberglass cast.  Without hesitating I ask, “Achilles?”  She looked shocked and I could tell she was going to ask, “How did you know?” Instead she saw my leg and said, “Oh wait, you’re in the boot. I’ve got a few questions for you!”

We traded stories; her injury sounded particularly nasty, even after all the ones I’ve read about here. An avid runner, a heel spur was slicing through her tendon. She finally decided to get it fixed which they did by severing it, cleaning up the spur, then reattaching it with screws. So naturally, she’s putting me to shame by crutching around the store.  She did admit she was getting a little worn down from overdoing it. I told her not to rush things, wished her well and said, “You know, if you need info, there’s a great web site…”

What a day.

10 Responses to “3000 miles from home…hey, that looks familiar”

1. 1 chowderlad July 28, 2008 at 4:40 am

love the scooters!

2. 2 judit July 28, 2008 at 9:01 am

Yeah, the airport wheelchair service is a blessing. In Heathrow they even had a little cart to drive us around - they let the kids join mee, too. They thought it was the best trip ever…:-)

3. 3 kkdub July 28, 2008 at 7:41 pm

Its funny now b/c my friends will call me just to tell me they saw/met someone in a boot. Oh if they only knew it really WASN’T that cool….but its great that they show the support anyway they can.

4. 4 Watch Dogs Alone Gray Coat November 11, 2016 at 7:21 am

Straightforwardly happen all the split as opposed to in its appraisal has not Christmas in his inclination will never discover it under an underneath their eyes or dealings

5. 5 Age Of Ultron Hawkeye Coat September 15, 2017 at 3:24 am

for your weblog, this is an absolutely fine and appropriate animating and advantageous webpage. Your posts and pictures are significant and incredible. This sites is so eminent for me and others as well. a debt of gratitude is in order for sharing.

6. 6 leverage parker leather jacket for sale March 9, 2019 at 8:10 am

I really happy found this website eventually. Really informative and inoperative, Thanks for the post and effort! Please keep sharing more such blog. Now I saved it to my bookmarks so that I can keep me in touch with you.

7. 7 Mark Strong Coat March 19, 2019 at 11:47 am

It’s not a bad thing to do that. One out of three things could happen. He’ll say yes, he’ll say no and laugh it off or he’ll say no and think that you’re conceited.

8. 8 Negative Man Shearling Coat March 28, 2019 at 6:06 am

Seems like you may have a problem being serious enough to be in a relationship with a girl. girls like guys who have a serious side.

9. 9 shazam jacket April 10, 2019 at 4:12 am

I love the style of your writing articles. It just amazing. The blog post is very connective and attractive. All the information I found in post is very useful.

10. 10 buy alien swarm green leather jacket May 2, 2019 at 5:40 am

I have learn alots of tips from there. I appreciate your efforts and people take more advantage from your post. I also advice to people yo visit your blog. it’s nice to find a website the details so much information about different artists.