Jul

No kidding. New ATR study: no surgery, no hard cast is best

Found this article online. It seems to go against the protocols that the vast majority of us are undergoing. Thoughts?

Copy and paste (having trouble inserting hyperlink)

7 Responses to “No kidding. New ATR study: no surgery, no hard cast is best”

1. 1 sanfrantourguide July 18, 2008 at 1:39 pm

Good Lord! Terrible to read just after having the surgery.

Even more frightening is the realization that doctors and surgeons do not agree, probably have never agreed, on any protocol in particular, as we see from reading these blogs from around the world. One guy is 7 weeks in a cast NWB; another is walking after 15 days (like me) in a cast FWB. I sure do hope that I will not have to regret my decision to have surgery. It was my own choice, although the three surgeons there (two young residents and a senior) all recommended it. Could it really be because they earn more money?

Also, doesn’t it matter where and how much on the tendon the rip(s) occur? I found out after the surgery that it was four inches above the heel, with four separate rips. I pray that it is not some genetic degeneration going on here. Athletic I am not, more on the sedentary side, but with an active job, lots of walking, lots of stairs in my San Francisco life.

Mary

2. 2 paigefifi1 July 18, 2008 at 5:05 pm

i read the article. mmm. well the article still does NOT explain why so many of the bloggers reruptured this summer-especially when they were weightbearing. It seems that there are still some debate on what the appropriate protocol are for ruptures and depending on the person itself. I do agree that surgery comes with nasty side effects that would be best avoided at all possible. Oh well-I still do not know what to make of this. I will definitely bring a copy of the article and bringing it to show to my PT next Thursday.

3. 3 dennis July 20, 2008 at 11:19 am

marcus - thanks for posting a link to this article. I’ve added it to: http://achillesblog.com/atr-rehab-protocols/

4. 4 green farm 3 mod apk September 20, 2018 at 5:39 am

thanks for share information….

5. 5 bully anniversary edition mod apk September 20, 2018 at 5:41 am

thanks for share information…..about your post!

6. 6 mx player pro apk September 20, 2018 at 5:44 am

thanks for share information…

7. 7 basketball legends November 30, 2019 at 5:40 am

That’s a great idea, thanks for your sharing, I’ve learned a lot from your article