Night at the hospital, coming home and first days

Night at the hospital. Still didn’ feel anything on my left leg, couldn’t move it, only lift it with my hands if I wanted to turn myself. Spent half of the evening chatting with my friends at facebook (thank you smartphones and your data plans). didn’t have phone charger with me so had to save battery and only briefly browsed 9gag. At some point I felt quite tired and tried to fall to sleep, after a while it succeeded. Woke up in the middle of the night about 3 a.m. Wasn’t happy about that, I thought i couldn’t get any more sleep. Luckily I was wrong. But that wasn’t all. I love quite creepy places and this hospital floor was priceless for that. Also I have to mention that my rooms door was open. Almost all lights were off during the night. Nurse who was appointet to night watch was snoring throughout the floor somewhere opposite hall. And yes, she was female, older lady. It was funny. After some time I heard steps and klicks from corridor closing my room. Have you seen horror movies? Steps came closer and closer in slow but steady rhytm, like serial killer hunting his next prey. I wasn’t scared, I was excited to see what the hell was that. So in a few minutes one older gentelman was passing my door in slow pace with a walking stick, that extra steady one with 4 legs. So nothing to be afraid of, he was just walking. At some point at I fell at sleep again and woke up in the morning around 7 am.

Woke up couse of pain in my leg - magic-macig. On one hand, my leg was casted at position where the foot is stretched (like ballerina) and that was unconfortable but on the other, now i felt that little cut-in on my ankle what one nurse did for me when she was shaving my leg. Didn’t feel the surgery incision at all. At first I tried to get used to pain but after a while that didn’t work out for me and called nurse to give me painkillers. I also asked about breakfest time because I was starving. Haven’t eaten anything for about a day now. Last time was fast food at MacDonalds drive-in after party saturday night. Now it is monday morning. Thankfully my prayers were answered few minutes later and got breakfast. Porridge isn’t my first choice of food and tried to eat it but couldn’t - wasn’t just my taste. Luckily there was sandwich material and coffe, so that was nice. My hunger games were over and felt a lot better. Time is relative depending which side of toilet door you are waiting, so was the case here. Was waiting inpatiently to clock to get 9 so most of the hospital personnel tome come to work and surgeon can look at my leg. At some moment nurse arrived and instructed me to get dressed. I only had my training clothes with me, sweaty stuff but it didn’t bother so much because idea of going home left everything else in shade. At some point I called to my work and told them to come and get me, don’t know exactly how long I will be here but it can’t be too long. So I got dressed and took sat down on wheelchair. Nurse pushed me to fourth floor, where was my surgeons examination room for regular visitations. So again I had to go to bed, this time I was laying on my stomach and he or the nurse cut bandage from my leg and relieved the wound. Surgeon examined it and was pleased with the result. Nurse tied my leg up again and I got back to wheelchair. Got few tips for surviving and I was instructed to return in wednesday to clean the wound and replace bandage. I was wheeled to first floor (ground floor) where i was glad to see my coworker to be already there and we left the hospital. Nurse gave the wheelchair final push and I started to fit myself in cars passenger seat. And there they were - packed neatly into plastic bag - painkillers, instructions were included. I also got myself crutches to walk around. I left my personal car to hospitals parking lot and coworker drove me home. Walking with crutches is easy. Walking with elbow crutches with stuff in your hand (one flip-flop for example) isn’t so. I live in two storie building so climbing the stairs was quick and painless. And I was home at last. Ofcourse I took a selfie about myself when I saw that my clothing is in the order of my national flag blue-black-white. Was happy to see that.

I changed clothes and layed down to bed looking some comfort. Pillow under left leg to keep it little bit elevated and started surfing the Internet. For some time it was quite ok. Ate some painkillers for leg pain and started my healing process. At fist it is fun to just lay there. After a while it starts get boring as hell. Even with all the possibilities tv or Internet holds. That was my first day at home. Only thing that I have thought was reducing amount of food I am eating. Don’t want to get fatter than I am now, been there and done that. So without any scale to weigh my food, I just eat smaller portions.

First day at home didn’t surprise me with anything extraordinary. The next day at some time I contacted one of my friends to get my car from hospitals parking lot. Also I was sick of using freezed chicken to cool down my leg and needed cold gel ice pack. In the evening he came with other friend and we wen’t to the city to collect my car. On the way back we also went to my workplace to get those gel packs from medical center. It went fairly quick, friend parked my car near my house and after brief conversation he left.

First post-op check up (second if you count the one at the hospital before leaving). I was called back to hospital to clean and check my wound. Driving there was quite tricky but it didn’t differ from the first time when I drove to hospital. So don’t have to speak about it very much, left turns are hard.

I am at fairly ok physical shape, not great but I manage to be. First times I went to hospital it was good challenge. I hade to make several breaks to get to fourth floor from the parking lot. Hands were exhausted and I started questioning my physical abilities. Thankfully as days went by, I grew stronger and distance like this wasn’t hard at all. Surgeon looked at leg and was pleased with progress and I was on my way again. I was scheduled to get my cast changed after three weeks from the surgery.

Till next time!


  1. franny Said,

    October 14, 2014 @ 22:53

    Hi Mait. I loved reading every word of your blog. It’s so interesting! On Sept 9, 2014 I had surgery to repair my ATR… just a few days after yours. It’s so interesting to read all about your hospital experience and what you are going through. It makes the world seem like a smaller place. My surgery was outpatient and they sent me home about 1.5 hrs after the surgery was completed. I had a splint on my leg for 7 days after surgery and I have been NWB and in a cast for 4 weeks now. Tomorrow, I have a doctor apt to have my cast FINALLY removed and I will transition over to a walking boot and PWB. Are you still in a cast? Are you PWB yet?

  2. Mait Said,

    October 15, 2014 @ 06:03

    Thanks for the feedback, franny. Hope your recovery goes quickly and painlessly. I am still in a cast, no PWB yet. I will stop briefly on splint removal.

    I don’t want to rush things forward so at the moment I really can’t say nothing more. You just have to bare with me and wait for new posts. Writing in English is quite slow process, because I am quite bad at speaking and writing in this language, also finding right words. Especially I don’t really want to use dictionary because I don’t have to try so hard by doing so. Understanding English usually isn’t a problem.

  3. franny Said,

    October 15, 2014 @ 23:07

    I think your writing using the English language is great. It’s very easy to follow your thought process. look forward to your next entry….especially because we are both healing from having surgeries around the same time. My cast came off today! I too need to post an update to my blog on my latest progress. Take care.

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI

Leave a Comment

To prove you're a person (not a spam script), type the security word shown in the picture.
Anti-Spam Image

Powered by WP Hashcash