Apr 06 2013

lucasl

First Work Week Behind me. . .

Posted at 10:02 am under Uncategorized

It is nice to report that yet another transition in my ATR has gone smoothly and safely.  My return to work was a bit nerve enhancing. . . after being rather sedentary for two weeks with leg in elevated mode, now I needed to allot adequate time to shower, dress, take in nutrients and not make my “chaffeur” wait so as to get me to work on time.  After the first two days, I finally got it ‘mostly” together and relaxed more than fretted during the process.  As I work at an elementary school- it was great to see the faces of the students and staff and their reactions to , as they put it, “the cool scooter!”  It’s nice to find the bright spots during ATR recovery-ease of  movement with the knee walker is definitely one of those bright spots, in addition to the cards, well wishes, prepared meals, offers for transportation and prayers from friends, family, church members, and caring acquaintances.  In addition to new found PATIENCE, I have been learning to be on the receiving end of help rather than the giving and it’s getting easier! :)

I have had some sort of an allergic reaction on the effected leg- at first I thought it was the socks that came with the boots (still think it might be)-so I have stopped wearing them.    Has anyone else encountered this?   I now need to find a comfortable sock that doesn’t cut off circulation, yet gives support.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you all are doing well in your recovery and keep reminding yourself that we will get through this and I am praying for you all!!

Healing thoughts and well wishes,

Lydia ;)

9 responses so far

9 Responses to “First Work Week Behind me. . .”

1. mikejp88on 06 Apr 2013 at 10:45 am 1

I was wearing some wool socks that have never bothered me before until the boot made them dig into my skin. My boot has the air pressure bladder in it to help with swelling so the outline of the sock was very visible. I switched to a nylon sock and it was better. I think it had more to do with the pattern being more flat than the other sock, which seemed to have infinite nooks and crannies to dig into the skin. I’m not sure if you have the air pressure thing or not (either way could be the same thing).
    Every time I see someone at work they think it’s funny to talk about the scooter haha. Some poke fun and others think it’s cool.

2. lucaslon 06 Apr 2013 at 10:53 am 2

That makes complete sense about the nooks and crannies and yes I have the inflato boot too. Thanks for the help- I was sooooo itchy and hives were developing. Will look for smooth socks!!!! Keep on Healing and Rockin it on the knee walker!!

:) Lydia

3. normofthenorthon 06 Apr 2013 at 1:18 pm 3

I stopped using the air pillows in my AirCast boot. Didn’t like the plastic that close to my skin (even with a ski sock).

4. 22kellyon 06 Apr 2013 at 1:36 pm 4

Lydia
    Have you used any lotion on your injured leg? I also developed a rash and I’m thinking it was from a scented lotion I used. I’ve been taking Benadryl and using cortisone cream and its starting to clear up though.

5. mikejp88on 06 Apr 2013 at 4:20 pm 5

yeah if you have hives or a rash then don’t listen to me. Mine was barely red and fairly itchy.
    Norm my boot has some kind of a fuzzy type of neoprene so it doesn’t bug me as much except for the insulation factor. Arizona is getting hot and my foot has no outlet for heat.

6. sandizonaon 06 Apr 2013 at 7:23 pm 6

…..sweaty boot here too!! Bullhead City, AZ today (April 6, 2013) 94*!! HOT
    I’m airing out many times a day. Hope I can get into one of the pools in our complex after my check up on Tues. the 9th. 6 weeks in the boot!
    ?? How long should I expect to be in daz boot?? Will I get a shorter boot? Hmmmmmmmm
    I (invented) a breathable sock…by taking the hospital treaded socks we all got after surgery, and snipped off the toe seam with scissors, and the tight elastic band on top. BAM….a coverage for the ATR and my toes can breathe!! : ) I posted a photo on my ATR blog site.

7. sandizonaon 06 Apr 2013 at 7:26 pm 7

…using Vitamin E three times a day, while massaging my scar. Really helping it to heal quickly.
    Now using coconut oil for so many things.
    On my skin after showering, even on my scar…
    moisturizing my face too.
    Cook with coconut oil, use instead of butter, great on air popped popcorn, etc……..
    I have not been itchy, so happy about that.

8. steph828on 06 Apr 2013 at 7:36 pm 8

I work at a school too! I’m with you sister! I LATHER myself in lotion..try olive oil or coconut oil (HI SANDY!)
    ALSO, try these:
    I wear them under my boot and they REALLY help. I got a men’s size small and I’m teeny.
    Good luck..Godspeed.

9. Lucaslon 07 Apr 2013 at 2:42 pm 9

Thank you all for the helpful hints! I have been airing out the itchy leg as often as possible- hopefully this will calm down soon. I see the NP tomorrow to change the angle of the boot and check to make sure I can fly over spring break. Do you know if airlines will allow the knee walker on board? I just don’t like the thought of it being thrown around with baggage -as it is a rental. I have used lotion but nothing perfumed and only what I had used prior to surgery. I was told nothing on the incision- but the vitamin E makes sense!