If only I weighed 70 pounds I could walk for miles!

August 11th, 2013

It has been 11 1/2 weeks since I snapped my Achilles tendon. I feel like I have been very busy which in turn makes me very tired so I have not written in a few weeks. Somehow it seems like it went from sitting around to dying to sit down but I guess that is life.

These last few weeks I feel like I have made big improvements with my entire leg. I can now ride that dang bike that does not move for an hour fairly hard and in bike shoes. To get my heart rate up I ride really, really fast and try to up the resistance. I can also spin one legged with my bad leg which has really helped relocate my quadriceps! This is when I can really tell that I have gained some strength as when I first started one legged I could hardly get it moving. Now I can spin at a pretty good cadence with decent resistance for one leg. I can also do the elliptical and the funny precor “running” machine which is soooo not running but I guess I’ll take it for now.

I have continued with my PT and two of the new and exciting moves I have got are double heel raises and single leg balance. I show off to my kids and their friends but get nothing. I know you all will appreciate just how exciting that really is!

The super exciting thing I did this week was get on an Alter G! Oh if only I weighed about 70 pounds I would be walking all over town! That thing is so amazing - you wear funny shorts zipped into basically a big air bubble and it lifts you up. You can adjust your body weight so you can be as light as a feather and then you walk on a treadmill. I could WALK. I could walk on my heels and walk on my tip toes! I could even dance - well kind of cuz I was a bit stuck in the shorts. The bummer of course is when you let out all the air and you feel the entire weight of your body back on your feet. Then I had to climb out and limp away. But for that brief bit of time I was a walker….NOT a limper!

My massive calves!
My massive calves!

Heel raises
Look at that LIFT!

Balance?
Balance?

I'm a walker!!!
I’m a WALKER!!!

12 Responses to “If only I weighed 70 pounds I could walk for miles!”

1. micah1 on August 11, 2013 8:30 am

Wow, love the sound of your new machine! How often will you get to use it? Do you gradually increase your weight each week? I expect it somehow accelerates your recovery?
    I can share in your balance and double heel raises success. I remember trying to impress my kids by showing how my balance had improved from about 5 seconds to 40 secs and got the ” That’s great Mum. What’s for tea?” response

2. superjewgrl on August 11, 2013 11:17 am

WooHoo! Great stuff Lynne! I hope my progress looks like yours.

Keep up posted!

3. lodinpdx on August 11, 2013 1:35 pm

Micah - I will try to get on the Alter G a few times a week. I do feel like it has already helped because it has helped me “remember” how to walk. And yes I guess the idea would be to increase my body weight although I have to say it is rather fun to be so light on my feet!

4. brokendad on August 11, 2013 3:15 pm

The machine looks awsome. Any chance they have a mobile one? I would love to go hiking with it.

The lifts look great. I got the same amount of enthusiasm from my kids when I showed them my lifts.

Good luck.

5. kkirk on August 11, 2013 3:31 pm

Looks awesome. The Alter G looks very intriguing. I was just using an underwater treadmill for my rehab. Good luck and happy healing.

6. craiger9er on August 11, 2013 4:43 pm

Wow that thing looks sweet. I don’t think I’ll get to try something like that but it looks awesome. Keep up the good work.

7. loumar747 on August 12, 2013 11:42 am

I want one! I’m yearning for the feeling of just walking completely normally with the ability to speed up at will.
    Thanks for the post.

8. kellygirl on August 12, 2013 1:56 pm

Woohoo! Look at those calves! You are making tremendous progress, Lynne. You make me want to work harder (except that I’m too lazy.) IKWYM about the tiring days. I used to enjoy reading a bit before bed but these days, the minute I hit the sheets I’m snoring. The Alter G looks so cool. I wouldn’t mind having one of those at my disposal :) Oh well, just have to stick to walking in circles and pedaling to nowhere.

9. skim92 on August 29, 2013 12:15 am

Ahhh! that machine looks amazing!
    Your calves look even better though!! I can’t wait til mine look like that with that lift!
    I can barely do heel raises right now, but I’m goin to keep trying everyday til I can take that progress pic haha.
    Good work!

10. lodinpdx on August 29, 2013 10:04 am

Thanks!!! I periodically try single leg throughout the day and I got nothing. My kids find this amusing and they say you can do this….it’s so easy! Hilarious!

And yes I love that machine - except you wear these neoprene shorts and I always wonder just how clean they are. :)

11. alanweibel on October 30, 2013 10:19 pm

I can’t wait to use the Alter G. It looks so cool. Does it really make you feel that much lighter?

12. lodinpdx on October 30, 2013 10:50 pm

@alan - it has been the most amazing part of my rehab. It helped me so much early on in that you can get on there and not limp. I think this helps get your brain and your nervouse system retrained. Now I use it just for running. I can run up to 8 miles at a pretty decent pace at 85% even 88% of my body weight. I can jog a little wit full body weaight but still can not RUN. This has kept me sane! Good luck!