Is there a muscle???

July 25th, 2013

I have reached the 9 week mark! Yay in that I feel like the worst is behind me AND more importantly I feel like I finally have some control over my progress. Progress is slow and not really steady more of up and down but when I think of what I can do now compared to a few weeks ago I realize I AM getting better.

We have been spending that last two weeks in one of my favorite towns - Bend, Oregon. We were supposed to take a big family vacay this year but that all changed so this is it. Luckily there is much to do for the rest of my family and for me - we are just up the hill from a great athletic club complete with PT. I have spent hours there in the belly of the club on that dang spin bike. I have been on the bike for a while but with the boot. In the last week I have been able to ride BOOTLESS with some resistance at a decent cadence so feel like I am getting a workout. Today I finally made it a full hour and could push it enough to get my heart rate up and SWEAT. I would have jumped for joy - except I can’t jump!

I have been able to continue PT over here in Bend. In fact Chris, my PT, is my new favorite person as he has worked with many of our kind and has such confidence about what he can do. He has been digging in and working my entire ankle. The front of my ankle had been jammed and ahhhhh he popped that sucker into place with…. no stress on the Achilles. I have noticed a lot of improvement this week with my walking.

My exercises seem to be similar to others. Lots of ROM,scrunching towels and picking up marbles (which I can not do?). Jane Fonda leg kicks, seated calf raises, bands and so forth. Yesterday I got to do some weight machines. Those things are foreign objects to me but the leg press is surely going to be a favorite. Then when all was done I tried some arm weights just for grins. Kind of funny to be in the weight room with the “weight” peeps and their WEIGHTS. They take it very seriously and lift these massive weights. Me I found some cute pink 3 pounders tucked under the big weight shelf thing. (And my arms were kind of sore this morning)

Yesterday afternoon I was feeling rather buff so I had my husband take some pics. I thought I would share some pictures of my massive muscles with you all. :) I even attempted to flex my calf to show off my definition. Sadly things are as good on film as they are in my head. I also have to let you know that it one picture it appears as if my right quadraceps have left the building. WHAT? That was depressing - and I’m not sharing that picture as I deleted it. It will (hopefully someday) be as if it never happened! So here you go….

Here is a picture of my progress - I tried to match it to the one from 3 weeks ago…..

Here is a picture of me flexing. I am trying to copy kellygirl but am not really allowed to do heel raises yet so…. Would you look at that definition. Wow…

AND just because this picture used to make me cry and now I can see he humor in it - here is my leg (I swear it’s a leg not a chicken bone) taken at about week three.

14 Responses to “Is there a muscle???”

1. brokendad on July 25, 2013 7:16 pm

Excellent pics. The muscles are coming along nicely. That was smart to move your PT. I also found the best part is the manipulation of the scar tissue and ankle.

Glad you are having fun.

2. kellygirl on July 25, 2013 8:03 pm

I see muscle! Gosh, just look at the difference from the chicken bone from where you are now. You have runners legs with long lean muscles–me not so much. Short and squat–one of those “weight” people. (FWIW, I checked back and I had the same chicken leg in my Week 5 post.) I have no doubt that you will be back to normal in no time. I feel quite guilty at how much you are training–I’m quite the slug in comparison (that’s why I asked PT if I needed to up my mileage hoping she would say no!) Congrats on the bootless spinning too. That’s a major mile stone! Keep up the good work!

3. craiger9er on July 25, 2013 11:09 pm

Looking good - I love the chicken leg picture, I’m still there and hoping to catch up to you soon.

4. superjewgrl on July 26, 2013 1:37 am

Great stuff Lynne! Your pics look great, so glad to hear your making great progress. I know this is a different “race” than your used to, but your definitely in the winners circle overcoming the challenges of an ATR.

Congrats to you!

5. Soldier J on July 26, 2013 10:08 am

Wow…. I am exactly 9 weeks and one day also. So, I definitely know what you are going through. I am just now getting strength and the muscle mass back in my leg. These are great pictures and my leg looked similar to your leg. I have not started riding a bike or any type of spin, but in reading your blog I will start that. Have patience you will get your strength back and be running again very soon. I am starting my strength tarining with the PT next week. Keep your head up and your Spirits High.

6. lodinpdx on July 26, 2013 11:42 am

Thanks all. You are too kind and very encouraging. :) I so appreciate you saying my muscles are “coming along” cuz my family kind of laughed at me when I was trying to flex! :) NO definition!

brokendad - I so love/hate that?! I try to do it myself but can not dig in quite as well…..

KG - If only you lived near me, you could show me around the weight room. I find it a bit daunting but luckily I am not all that shy so I ask - what is THAT? How do you do that?! As for the bike - I have time right now and I am a bit neurotic , just a wee bit. I just listen to my music, zone out try to pretend I am actually going somewhere. When that does not work I take out all my aggression on the bike!

Soldier - sounds like you are doing really well - walking in boots! I am still kind of a pathetic walker and get passed by all. At least on the bike that goes no where I feel like I am going fast and I know I won’t fall over! Now I just need to put some muscle into it and relocate my quad!

7. lodinpdx on July 26, 2013 6:59 pm

So this might be the best vacation EVER! Seriously - Just because I could, I went to an EXTRA PT appointment today….IN the therapy pool! I know, I know @andrewc was windsurfing in Greece but I swear this was way better! The pool was 92 degrees and he had me walking, exercising and even heel lifting!! SO exiting…seriously best ever! :)

8. brokendad on July 26, 2013 7:34 pm

Sounds great. Did you feel any resistance on your calf muscle? Maybe I will ask my PT about using a pool.

Keep having fun.

9. 1shann on July 26, 2013 7:55 pm

That sounds great! What a treat- you deserve it :) I was touched by your comment about now being able to look at the picture of your leg at week 3 without dismay. Thanks keeping us posted :)

10. lodinpdx on July 26, 2013 8:25 pm

brokendad - NOTHING bad! It was great. I will let you know if my calf is the good kind of sore in the morning - I am giddy at the thought. I think the fact that it was warm helped loosen things up. I have walked around in a brrrr pool and it was not the same. I only have access to an indoor brrrr pool at home so like it or not I will be finding out if that woks soon! Dang - I loved he warm.

11. normofthenorth on July 28, 2013 12:28 am

Lots of people have fallen in love with walking and such in a pool. Weight machines and such are fine for your leg, but losing a bunch of your body weight from buoyancy lets you do the EXACT SAME MOVES that you used to be able to do on dry land — like 1-leg heel raises — and that’s great for the spirit as well as the leg. And by gradually (wait for it. . . INCREMENTALLY) shifting the moves into shallower water, you can give your recovering leg a progressive but gentle challenge.

12. Fiddle on July 28, 2013 9:13 pm

Great news! Your first paragraph sums it up nicely (worst is behind me, in control of my progress, getting better).

Like you, I had chicken leg after the cast came off…very discouraging! Now, 2 1/2 years later, it’s not as it used to be but because of my recent injury to my good leg, has now become my strong leg…go figure…:). BTW, I hated not being able to run the BAC 5k yesterday. They had cooler temps than in years past.

13. lodinpdx on July 29, 2013 5:06 pm

Chicken leg is alarming but luckily it has beefed up a tad…..:)

I still have never run the BAC 5k as we are always out of town. However this year I was planning on it but oh well. Naturally I looked up the results to see where I woulda coulda shoulda been. My goodness some fast times this year! :)

NEXT year we can toes the line together!

Lynne

14. Fiddle on July 30, 2013 1:38 am

Lets do it. I’ll race u…:).