New Shoes!!

July 12th, 2013

I have just a little bit of a shoe thing so very exciting to “NEED” new shoes! Also very exciting to be able to get out and buy new shoes!

I guess I should back up a bit. Today I am 7 weeks and 2 days post op. At 6 weeks I was given the OK to “TRY” two shoes. I was hoping that transition would go smoothly but as most of you know - that is just not the case. I guess in my 9 days Of attempting I have made progress but I am finding this stage very frustrating! I am generally a fast walker and now….well not so much. BUT - focus on the progress so here is some progress I have made.

1) PT - ahhhh I love PT. It helps so much to have someone tell you what you can do and help you work towards fixing this thing! I seem to do the standard - ROM, “active” stretch and passive stretch. I also get to do some Jane Fonda leg lifts. These were unnerving at first as my foot was flopping around. I have also been learning how to walk again - concentrating on weight transfer and trying to squish the bug with my toes. I have to say that for now the bug lives!

2) Breaking a sweat! I have been riding the spin bike for a while now. Finally in the last week or so I have been able to ride long enough and hard enough to break a sweat. I still have to ride “hard” with the boot but I can up the resistance and WAY up the cadence to make it feel like I am doing something. I am also able to spin with my shoes but then it is way back down to ssslllooowww!

3) I am spoiled in that where I work out I get to see some elite runners and as much I hate the boot I have no shame in my using it to my advantage. It is a great conversation starter so converse I have.

4) Getting OUT! Oh it is so nice to be able to get out of the house more. I have not ventured far bootless as I am so slow and it makes me feel vulnerable. I feel like I need a big sign saying INJURED person coming through please be kind! SO - I tend to wear the most obvious sign the BOOT! People are so nice to you when lugging that thing around.

5) SHOPPING! As I said I love shoe shopping and well I figured I need some new shoes. I love Nike Free so I can flex my toes but with the swelling I needed to go up a half size. (I just put a heel lift in as they are too flat). Then I just had to copy KG and get a pair of non flip flop FitFlops. (Say that 10 times fast!) I will attempt to insert some pics! SORRY so big!

FitFlops

Frees

6) Today was a big day as I made it to mat Pilates. There is a lot that we can do. It works the core but also helped my back, hips, hammies….ahhhh!

So all in all I know I am heading in the right direction. I hate the slow progress and have had MANY ups and downs this week and have been a tad (unreasonably) grumpy. I threatened to give the dog away when he came to say hi to me and puked up a candy wrapper (and some other unknown smelly stuff). In case it was not clear the candy wrapper was NOT mine! I think many of us in this ATR club use some sort of exercise as our stress relief and at the moment we don’t really have that outlet. I like to power through things and well we all know how well that works.

14 Responses to “New Shoes!!”

1. lodinpdx on July 12, 2013 6:15 pm

Look I posted pictures!! Not sure why they are SOOO big!!

2. brokendad on July 12, 2013 6:31 pm

Great news on the shoes and posting pic. Two shoes makes me feel like I am progressingas well. How was the exercise class? It may not be as intense as you are used to, but it may be a prefect transition.

3. lodinpdx on July 12, 2013 6:35 pm

Thanks. Pilates is great - I started it years ago when I was injured. I my “normal life” I either go or do some of the exercises on my own - helps keep me injured can you tell. :)

4. Fiddle on July 12, 2013 8:31 pm

I remember the vulnerable phase. I remember going to the mall one day and had some special words for the kids that weren’t paying attention and came too close. Also, now that you’ve done the squish the bug exercise, can you see how walking backwards could help in gaining confidence?

I see the “As Seen on TV” hose…how do u like it?

5. superjewgrl on July 12, 2013 10:32 pm

Great update and nice pics. I love your Nikes. LOVE them. I am a little high strung for yoga, and Pilates. Actually, I’m too a lot of stuff for Pilates but good for you. Very impressive.

I’m still under “leg incarceration” so I’m living vicariously through you.

6. kellygirl on July 13, 2013 12:09 pm

Great post and super duper pics! Love the new FF’s. I didn’t see that style but they are very chic looking–I’d say kind of Euro. Aren’t they comfy? That slight heel makes all the difference for me. Nikes are cute too. I didn’t think about adding a heel lift but that’s a great idea (Dr. Scholl’s or something and drugstore?) Awesome that you went to Pilates and glad to hear that it helps! I’m hoping to get back to yoga one of these days–my balance on the bad leg is getting better.

I can relate to the vulnerability. I had a HUGE dog come charge me at the park and all I could do was widen my stance and sink into a slight crouch! The owner prolly thought I was nuts–ready to kickbox the dog. Fortunately, Fido slowed down and I didn’t have to defend myself but sheesh, I’ll be glad when these little things don’t worry me so much!

Keep up the good work, Lynne! Looking forward more posts!

7. lodinpdx on July 13, 2013 12:38 pm

fiddle - YES I have walked backwards and it is a good thing - perhaps that is how I’ll get around. Funny you should notice the hose. In the early days of being on pain meds and watching WAY to much TV I did some drug induced shopping! I saw the info-mercial and ordered but did not think I ordered so ordered again from Target. Oops my bad. Then I saw another commercial for the “real” as i don’t be fooled by fakes expandable hose! Sp apparently I bought the fake but yes I like it a lot! :) I also ordered form gap.com and bought multiples of the same thing - good thing for returns!

SJG - I’ll bet you could pilate! When you are able it is a good thing to try. I too am a bit high-strung but started many years ago as I was injured from too much running. I learned that if I want to run so much I have to pay the toll and do the”good stuff”. I like to run or spin some first to get the yayas out. :)

KG &SJG - Thanks about the Frees’s. They are super cute and have a slightly softer upper then my other shoes so are more comfortable. The heel lift I got from a drug store and that has helped with the limping - I still limp a LOT but these help. I would like to get back to yoga as well but that seems a long way off - downward dog?? The floor seems so far away - if I go downward anything I am DOWN! I do think it will help and feel solo good on the other parts of my body but not yet.

YES - feeling very vulnerable! Kelly - I am impressed you could squat down. That is one of my PT exercises and there is little to no difference between my stand and my squat! Perhaps we should have a cane at all times not use as a weapon against loose dogs and crazy kids. Perhaps my kids and my dog would be better if I was waving a cane at them! It could also be a pointer for shopping - I want THAT! :) Oh I could so play the part of the crotchety, cane waiving crazy lady!

8. 1shann on July 13, 2013 1:01 pm

Shoes!! I cannot wait. Due to heartbreak I have had to hide all of the sweet summer shoes that I bought for this summer. Thanks for showing me that I have something to look forward to :) It sounds like your healing journey is going well. Good to hear!

9. lodinpdx on July 13, 2013 1:51 pm

1shann - I know how you feel! As I said I have a bit of a shoe thing and in the summer just LOVE me some flip-flops! As is ones that flip and flop. I guess this summer it’s all about “practical footwear” or “sensible shoes”. BUT to further satisfy my shoe shopping needs I am going to order some boots from the Nordstrom sale. I am hoping by boot season I will be good to go and if not Nordstrom has the best return policy out there!

10. Fiddle on July 14, 2013 1:40 pm

It’s so weird to me that you have a tiny horizontal scar. Mine’s huge compared to yours.

11. lodinpdx on July 14, 2013 2:22 pm

Yes I have a small scar going horizontal. My Doctor used a new technique with a new tool. I also think that because I had a “clean” rupture with no coiling up he has able to do it this way. I will post a picture, you can hardly see it. I am wondering if anyone else had it done this way. I am just so thankful that I was able to find my doctor, I guess it is good to be a recurring patient!

12. ATRbuff on July 15, 2013 7:39 am

Clean rupture, no coiling up, prompt action - why the surgery?

13. lodinpdx on July 15, 2013 12:21 pm

Well ATRbuff. I have thought a lot about this and did a little googling! Saw some pictures that are really interesting but gave me the heebie jeebies!! I wrote a post about it.

14. hillie on July 15, 2013 2:18 pm

Yes, interesting pictures!

Having benefitted from the work of the Exeter team in the UK (over a year ago) and its accelerated rehab protocol with virtually identical results for op and non-op, and the many posts that I have read over this time included Norm’s UWO info, I can see where both you and atrbuff are coming from. And so much conflicting opinion about too.

The Exeter study and programme (2008 - 2012): http://www.bjjprocs.boneandjoint.org.uk/content/95-B/SUPP_18/16.abstract

When I was injured, a full rupture and not treated correctly for over a week, I was a borderline case for my surgeon at Exeter. We agreed to go non-op and review after 2 weeks. For surgery, I understand that my guys generally used similar tools to yours. The rest, as they say, is history, and totally successful. I was in a Vaco Achilles boot and was fwb within 3 (4?) weeks. My rehab schedule is on Suddsy’s blog and not wildly different from the UWO work.

In case you wonder, I’m not a couch potato either, with cycling and hill/mountain walking (as well as landscaping my over large garden on the side) taking up as much of my time as I can spare. I did lots of physio stuff, starting at week 3, and at about week 16 was having intensive treatment from a top sports physio. Fitter now than before the injury.

Good luck with the recovery.

H