Standing in shoes

July 4th, 2013

Just a quick not in an attempt to post pictures. I got the OK to try two shoes starting today. I managed to put both feet in my regular size 10 running shoes although the right one is a little tight. It does not hurt my incision, which by the way is a small horizontal incision. (I will post a pic if I get this figured out!) I can stand and I am sure could take tiny steps unaided except for the unnerving feeling of being so vulnerable. I think for my head I would prefer some sort of brace, wrap or something. Instead I am back to crutches and they are well my emotional crutches! SO here goes!!

UUGGHH - I can not post pics. Have tried many ways. I am using a MacBook and con not figure it out!

19 Responses to “Standing in shoes”

1. lodinpdx on July 4, 2013 2:56 pm

/Users/lynneodonnell/Desktop/2shoes1.jpeg

2. fiddle on July 5, 2013 12:15 am

Awesome. Good to hear!

3. kellygirl on July 5, 2013 12:45 am

I’m seeing your pics when posted individually. Not sure why you can’t get them in a post. That is frustrating. IKWYM about vulnerable. It’s like a limp noodle, eh?

4. Ripraproar on July 5, 2013 12:55 pm

Lod
    You will be fine we’ve all been there take slow and steady but u will be ok

5. lodinpdx on July 6, 2013 6:53 pm

I do believe I posted a pic in my comment!! Not sure I will be able to do it again!!

6. fiddle on July 7, 2013 2:49 am

I see the pic…:)

7. lodinpdx on July 7, 2013 11:52 am

I know I did it. :) Amazing what I can do with all this time. So proud of myself!

8. fiddle on July 7, 2013 6:14 pm

If u have time and are interested, u can look up patrinabird on youtube to see my achilles progress videos. I wish I would have organized it better but you’ll get the point and timeline.

9. lodinpdx on July 7, 2013 7:11 pm

fiddle - I am interested and certainly have the TIME!! :) I will watch while icing….

10. fiddle on July 7, 2013 10:08 pm

That’s weird…I see an email asking about Andi in the 1500m but don’t see it here. It’s Andi Camp at the 2011 Portland Track Festival.

11. bionic on July 7, 2013 10:35 pm

lopin are you still icing? I’m 3 weeks behind you, but is that due to swelling after having your foot down?

fiddle, where is your blog? I can’t find it. Are you back to sprinting post ATR and surgery?

12. fiddle on July 7, 2013 11:04 pm

Bionic: I was jogging at 4 months and running 5k’s at 6 months. I was sprinting out of starting blocks at 10 months. I didn’t start a blog…I just asked questions on here. I would say, I was running without thinking about my achilles at about a year.

13. lodinpdx on July 7, 2013 11:57 pm

Bionic - oh yes I am still icing!! I still have some swelling and would love that to go away. I also still have pain so try icing before popping the advil. I know it also helps with blood flwo and that has to be good so I just try to ice a lot!

AND I just reread your posts to remind myself how you did this. Ah yes you like me (and too many others) were playing with the young ones. I literally thought if (insert 28 yearold’s name) can turn around and run that 5000 then so can I. Naturally! :)

BUT - I would also like to fill you in a smidge on what I know about Kobe (just pointing out I am NOT a fan of his….I had some info sent to me and googled the rest) BUT he had a boot slightly tweaked special for him…with a swoosh on it! Then I believe at 8 weeks he got out of the boot and was shown 2 weeks post boot walking in “Medical Mambas” on an Alter G. That is a treadmill that has a special pair of shorts hooked up to a harness for lack of a better word that takes weight off your feet. His injury and surgery were quite a bit worse then mine so I am planning on being back much faster than him! I’ll be on that damn Alter G some time this week! :) Have not heard anything lately!

14. lodinpdx on July 8, 2013 12:04 am

fiddle - I have September 22nd on my calendar. Hoping to be jogging by then! That gives 2.5 months before Club Nats! As for the Andi comment I just hit reply. I was probably at that same meet! AND that was the 5000 I wanted to run - ran it last year got my butt kicked. Would have gotten my butt kicked again this year but was just hoping the young ones would drag me along! :)

15. fiddle on July 11, 2013 1:03 am

Got cleared to run and my doc released me. Bad thing is that his physician assistant pushed too hard on the bone that was repaired and it’s been hurting for 2 days. Hope it goes away soon and I can get back to training.

How are u doing?

16. lodinpdx on July 11, 2013 7:59 pm

UGH! That is a drag. I worry a bit about that but I love my PT office and know them all well…too well

I am doing OK but find this phase very frustrating. I can “walk” with two shoes nut so slow and not very far. I can go farther and faster in the boot but then no benefit is happening and it makes my hip hurt. So improving but want to be moving faster!

Good luck to you!

17. fiddle on July 12, 2013 1:13 am

Sounds like some good news. I walked 2 miles at 2 months but with a major limp. It hurt my hip, too.

18. lodinpdx on July 12, 2013 6:25 pm

fiddle - that is crazy! I get the desire to do it but I feel like the limping causes more problems then it helps.

19. this awesome shoe blog on July 18, 2013 4:45 pm

Great site you have got here.. It’s difficult to find quality writing like yours nowadays. I honestly appreciate people like you! Take care!!

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.