Days away from shoes!

July 2nd, 2013

I got to go see my doctor today.  Funny how excited we get to see the doctor.  It’s kind of like when I was pregnant I always hoped for some ground breaking information.  I am 5 weeks and 5 days post op (huh…counting weeks and days, just like being pregnant!) so knew that I was days away from shoes.  I had been told something about at the 6 week mark ditching the boot and getting some sort of brace.  I also read on here that some people needed to go up a shoe size in order to get that shoe on.  Naturally I was hoping to cheat the system 2 days so I actually bought a “cute” pair of sized up running shoes and brought them to my appointment.  Just for image sake on a good day I have scrawny little calves and really big feet.  Now my calf is not existent and here I am excited about donning a pair of size 10.5 ’s!

Well things did not go quite as I had hoped.  There will be no brace and no ditching of the boot… just yet.

Starting Thursday I get to start “easing” into shoes, as in 30-60 minutes at a time… in the house.  Over the next 1-2 weeks I will slowly transition to full time shoes.  This is good I guess but I was hoping to stroll on out of the office leaving my stinky boot behind.  What about at night?  I asked.  Nope I have to sleep in that thing until I am “comfortable” in shoes.  BUT what about the bike?  I told him I rode the bike for an hour bike yesterday, can I ride the bike in my shoe?   Sort of, I get 10 minutes with the shoe and then back in the boot.  Not an hour?  Nope.  What about the pool?  Certainly I can get in the pool.  I envisioned getting in the shallow end of the pool on a beautiful hot day, getting some sun and just walking around a little.  Perhaps I will have a cool beverage in my hand….. Nope, not yet.  Doctor says no submerging my foot in any kind of water just yet.  I guess a pedicure is out too.  And last but not least I asked him about driving.  I did not really expect to drive myself home from the appointment but certainly by Friday. Right??  Oh no!  There will be no driving for at least a month.  WHAT?  Apparently when driving it is important for the driver to have enough control over and strength in the foot to slam on the brakes if the situation calls for such a slam.  Ok good point!  UGH!  Progress, but oh so slow.

Skinny little calf!

I am trying to post a picture here but not sure I got that figured out just yet!  Nope…

11 Responses to “Days away from shoes!”

1. kellygirl on July 2, 2013 8:01 pm

Baby steps can be so frustrating but at least you are getting into two shoes! That’s pretty exciting. Sizing up on the shoes is probably a good idea if you have a healing wound–I’ve been fine in my regular size but I’m non-op. I can’t wait to see your “cute” running shoes. I have a pair on the way, myself :)

2. lodinpdx on July 2, 2013 8:16 pm

Oh I wish I could post a pic of my “cute” shoes but I just posted a box with a ? in it. I tried o follow your steps - I can get my picture into the library just not into the post. Think it’s too big? I’ll try again later!

3. loumar747 on July 2, 2013 8:18 pm

Okay - I’m envious. I’m at 8 weeks and am hoping to get the okay to start two shoes. Kind of disappointing about the pool but you seem to be getting a lot of exercise in spite of it all. My physio would agree re: sleeping with the boot. Driving seems like a distant memory. I too had heard that you have to prove you can stop with ‘emergency strength’ before getting the go ahead. While disappointing, it’s better than having some kind of accident. Oh, how liberating it will be! Anyway, congrats on your progress.

4. lodinpdx on July 2, 2013 8:22 pm

I was trying to negotiate with my dr today telling him I read some people are sleeping with no boot, some are driving and so forth. Each dr is different but also each injury is different! Some are op some non-op. We twitch, wiggle and even cramp in our sleep so I guess I will sleep in it a little longer. But driving - oh the independence if driving! Oh well… :)

5. brokendad on July 2, 2013 9:22 pm

It still find it amazing how different our protocols are ( as a group).

6. fiddle on July 3, 2013 12:16 am

I slept without the boot…each doc is different and it also just seemed weird to do so.

7. lodinpdx on July 3, 2013 12:33 am

As much as I want to sleep bootless I want to keep my foot in a flexed position. I have a plantar splint so am hoping to be in that in a week or three.

8. superjewgrl on July 3, 2013 7:37 pm

Love your attitude! 3 months ago could you have guessed we would be excited about shoes and driving.

When I got my pedicure prior to going to the doctor but after I was injured I jumped out of my skin when she touched my calf. Also resting my foot with just my toes wasn’t too pleasant either.

Your a winner and will be crossing the finish line in due time! Congrats on your progress this far.

9. lodinpdx on July 3, 2013 7:52 pm

Thanks Anne!! Today my attitude was not so great - not sure why some days I can look at the bright side and others…not so much!

Let’s see three months ago would have been driving the kids all over the place wishing I could NOT drive. I also think I bought a new pair of racing flats to get ready for my half! I probably swore I would never wear crocs except for maybe some cure flip flops! Now I am dreaming about driving and shopping online for clunky crocs.

How are you doing this - do you have friends/family helping you with food, laundry and trying to stay sane?? My family left me for 36 hours and even though I got out this morning I am feeling very much stuck in the house!

10. superjewgrl on July 3, 2013 9:37 pm

Right after I got the pedicure…. I went to the grocery. However, what I thought was enough food for a month, will last maybe 10 days. I am not sure what i was thinking.

It seems this injury wants to strip the core essence of who I am. I am wired real tight extremely inpatient, and this forces me to have patience. I am fiercely independent and this forces me to rely on others. I prefer to the be the helper, now I’m the helpee. I want to move quickly, get out of my way, and this forces me to go slow. Sigh.

I guess it’s all happening for a reason. I am fortunate so that I can work from home and we are in busy season. If it wasn’t for that, I would be stir crazy.

When you were in the cast, were you housebound? Today is the first time I left my condo building since I got the cast.

Is the verdict in, are flip flops or crocs our choices? what are the requirements for appropriate show wearing? I’m not sure I would put those on, but maybe.

I’m really not sane, but that makes it fun.

So back to you……You are a total dynamo and this is just a blip on the radar. Your family left for 36 hours, but you have your achilles family here. xx

11. Ripraproar on July 4, 2013 2:05 pm

Lodin super
    We’ve all felt this way the injury is more of a mental one or most