Wait - So I’m Not in Highschool Anymore?

June 29th, 2013

So I have finally (hopefully) figured out this blog thing. I guess that is the first hint that I am so not in highschool as I know my highschool age son could have done this long ago! Sorry it is soooo long but it feels good to get it all out there! I am so glad I found this website as it helps to know I am not alone. (Although sometimes shhhh - I tell my family that I am the only one to ever suffer so!)

I am a 45 mother of 3 (15, 11, 11 - yes twins!) I am a runner. I run about 50-55 miles a week including a track/speed workout and a long run sometimes with a tempo run. I LOVE running and I LOVE to race. Something about setting goals and working to achieve those goals. Oh and I LOVE beating people.

In late April I ran a half marathon for which I had been training for a long time. I ran really well and in hindsight should have taken a little post half break but as my friend said I got a little greedy. I decided I wanted to run in a 5000 meter track race. To get ready I wanted to do a time trial of sorts. My son’s highschool coach puts on a “last chance” meet; it is meant for HS kids but is open so I asked if I could run a 3000. SURE - no problem. It was me, one other dad and about 20 highschool kids. I’ll show them….

Well with about 70 meters to go I heard a loud pop and felt my foot fall through a (insert swear word of choice) sink hole!! I stopped dead in my tracks and searched the track for the hole but needless to say there was no hole it was my right Achilles snapping in half. I knew right away that something was terribly wrong as I had no control over my foot. I could not walk so had to be carried off the track…I sure showed those HS kids huh! When I took off my sock there was no doubt it was a full rupture as I could see a 1.5 inch gap where once was an Achilles tendon! Bitch slapped by my own body!

My friend drove me to the ER while another friend drove my son home. Naturally I had quite a wait in the ER and by this time I was shaking and in quite a bit of pain. They nicely gave me warm blankets and pain pills while I waited. When they took me back and got me onto a bed to examine me my right calf went into such a bad cramp. I made quite the spectacle of myself screaming in pain. They handed me a “muscle relaxer” AKA Valium. I’m not really one to pop pills but this made it all soooo much better. Once I had calmed down it took the ER DR about 1 second to determine a I had completely severed that sucker. He said something about a non-surgical to which I said “Whaaaat how is that possible? I think I need that thing sewn back up and sewn up quick!”

The next morning I got up and called my PT to cancel my 8:00 am appointment (remember how I said I needed a post half break?). She gave me the name of a doctor to see who coincidentally had done my meniscus surgery a few years earlier. I called him right away and by 10:00 am I was in his office. “Hi, remember me? Remember how you told me not to run so much….well I ignored you and well here I am again!” He would not do the surgery right away but his colleague was available that afternoon. I got in and got out and was home by before the kids went to bed!

Those first two weeks were horrible. I felt terrible and was in a lot of pain. I was taking oxycodone, which I now know is overkill, as well as an anti nausea medicine. On day 9, a Saturday, I got really sick. I could not keep anything down, not crackers, not ginger ale, not water and certainly not my anti-nausea medicine. Let’s all stop and think just how hard it is to puke while on crutches with a purple cast on my foot. At one point I was lying on the bathroom floor trying to figure out how I could get an IV without getting in the car. By Monday morning I was still not better so I went back to the doctor’s office begging someone to give me an IV. They took my cast off to make sure I had no infection gave me a big ass boot and sent me to the ER for an IV.

Lesson to all. Oxycodone is really strong! It is better to drop down to a lesser narcotic like Vicadin as soon as possible. Always take anti-nausea medication with narcotics and ask for the dissolvable good stuff. Valium can ease the pain by making you not really care and it does not make one as sick.

At my two week post-op appointment I got acquainted with the Bledsoe boot, it’s wedges and many, many Velcro straps. At that point I was told I had one more week of no weight but then at 3 weeks post op I would take out a wedge and start partial weight. Well I dutifully did as I was told. Took that wedge out and crutch-walked my way around. Not so smart as I was in so much pain that night that I had to take a valium to sleep. A little smarter to ease into each new stage! At week 4 I took another wedge out and started SLOWLY FBW. It was right about that time I found this website and started learning a few tricks from some of the others who came before me. Then week 5 I took my last wedge out and oh that one hurt!!

So there you go that is the long and short of my story up to 5 weeks and 2 days. As I think we all would agree this sucks! Not too many people rupture their Achilles sitting on the couch. We are all active busy people doing what we do and then BAM couch bound. I have thrown myself many a good pity party. I have been so FRUSTRATED, mad and very sad. I can cry at any time; the littlest thing can set me off. Luckily I have a spin bike in my garage, it was a Christmas present from my husband. He gave it to me after my knee surgery, you know when the doctor told me not to run so much. Physically it does make me feel better and gets the blood flowing but sometimes it too makes me cry.

Lastly and for some perhaps all you want to know are the few things I have learned to help deal with this.

PILLOWS! I sit on the couch with loads of pillows. I sleep with I think 5 now. I have keep my boot on or under a pillow and can not have any covers on it.

FOOD - eat food while taking pain pills but more importantly eat protein in an attempt to keep some muscle mass.

Where some heel. Do the best you can to keep your good foot at the same height as your boot. Easier for women then men perhaps. I am now where a Dansko clog and it seems so be pretty good. My friend had sciatic nerve issues for a year post surgery from walking uneven!

STRETCH! Sitting on the couch makes me hunch over. My back, hips and everything hurt! Now that I am FWB my favorite is to stand against the wall and do “snow angels”.
Talk it out, write it out and try to focus on the positive. Way easier said then done. You all might not want to read all of this but it helps to get it all out there. Keep your sense of humor, someday we can all laugh about all of this right?

21 Responses to “Wait - So I’m Not in Highschool Anymore?”

1. superjewgrl on June 29, 2013 8:30 pm

Your posts are one of the few things that have made me laugh today. Hilarious.

I am three weeks behind you. I got treatment yesterday and still figuring out how to look cool in crutches. The effort it took me to get to the bathroom made me seriously consider if I wouldn’t be better off with a catheter for now.

Anyway, sounds like your doing great. Keep up the great work. Keep your posts coming.

2. lodinpdx on June 29, 2013 10:38 pm

Oh I hear you on that. I HATE when I get in bed and have to go and I think I go more often because as soon as I get comfortable I think ph please don’y have to go and then naturally….. I found the crutches to be brutal and got rubbed raw under one arm pit! I have a scooter which helped when I needed to carry something but I was a pretty bad scooter driver!

It does get better. It certainly is not linear as in I sometimes think I go backwards but when I wrote today about those first few weeks I no I am better then I was. Of course the bar was pretty low! :)

We will have to do our best to keep each other in good spirits because really this sucks!

3. superjewgrl on June 30, 2013 1:04 am

Your advice is good. I am wearing a dansko sandal i haven’t worn in ages, but it’s not to high and it’s not a flat and it definitely helps with the crutches.

Are you driving yet? We’ve both injured our right leg and am hoping my wait won’t be a long one.

Take Care.

4. lodinpdx on June 30, 2013 11:18 am

I am not driving yet! That is so hard as it is very isolating I am stuck at home! Luckily my 15 yearold son has his permit but I will only let him drive so far. I also have a hard time sitting in the car as I am so uncomfortable! I am hoping for me part of the problem is actually the boot!

I have seen others say they started driving soon after the boot comes off. I think we have to have some sort of control over our foot before we can safely drive!! :)

5. superjewgrl on June 30, 2013 12:17 pm

That’s fantastic about your son. I bet he likes driving you.

I am convinced this predicament I’m in has some deeper life meaning that will end up being a blessing in disguise.

Take Care!!!

6. lodinpdx on June 30, 2013 12:27 pm

He likes to drive and is pretty much stuck with me!! :)

Perhaps some day when this is a distant memory I will say there was some sort of blessing in all this but right now I’m just trying to stay sane as I sit around watching really bad tv!

7. superjewgrl on June 30, 2013 12:53 pm

I don’t know how you take care of a family, and heal yourself. Hats off!

8. calimama on June 30, 2013 4:46 pm

Oh my gosh Lodinpdx - I am so sorry for your injury, but your post sure made me giggle… “Bitch slapped by my own body” - that is classic and so, so accurate. I can not imagine the horror of throwing up repeatedly in the middle of this injury. Nightmare!

I drove for the first time on Friday and the thing that surprised me the most was how tiring it was for my injured foot… Pressing on the gas pedal was like doing a constant stretch - fine for a few minutes but by the time my 10 minute drive to Target was done, my foot was quivering from exhaustion! Lesson learned - don’t plan a road trip just yet. :)

Great points about the pillows and the shoes and the stretching… It is really ridiculous how hard this injury can be on the REST of your body.

Hang in there!

9. lodinpdx on June 30, 2013 6:03 pm

Calimama- when you got to Target were you too tired to walk around?? :)

I figure we have to keep our sense of humor about this or we will go totally insane!

10. kellygirl on July 1, 2013 10:06 pm

That makes two of us that are no longer in high school! Ugh, so sorry to hear about your injury. It must be extra frustrating since you are WAY more competitive and athletic than me! You sound extremely motivated so I have no doubt that you will be back to your pre-injury self in no time at all. Let’s race, why don’t we ;) Just kidding.

11. fiddle on July 2, 2013 11:08 am

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your injury. You and I have been in a few races together so this hit close to home. I also ruptured my achilles (2010) and can tell you that this will be a distant memory. Nowadays, i go weeks without thinking about it. To give you my timetable, I was jogging at just shy of 4 months and racing at 6 months. A buddy of mine who also had an ATR actually wants to rupture his good one so it’ll be as strong as the repaired one!

One thing that surprised me was the level of pain you were in. I didn’t feel any pain except 2-3 days after surgery. Everyone I know that has had this injury didn’t have pain either. Maybe it was that cramp?

Anyway, get better soon, be disciplined with you PT and we’ll see you on the roads soon!

12. fiddle on July 2, 2013 11:42 am

Forgot to mention that I also found this website helpful especially during those dark ealry months.

13. lodinpdx on July 2, 2013 1:49 pm

Fiddle,

HI! Who are you and how did you know we had been in races together? (Do you work with or know Sean by chance?) But most importantly who won? :)

I am excited to see you started jogging at 4 months. I am going to try some walking on an Alter G soon and may be start “running” on one in a month or so. I will be disciplined about PT as I love doing things to make progress so can not wait for that. I start on Friday!

14. fiddle on July 2, 2013 4:22 pm

Yep, Sean at Complete Running. I’m Fidel B. and you and I were about the same speed…18, 19, 20min 5k’s. I started running more track events around 2008 so I focused less on distance. I did run the Mt.Tabor mile in 2011 in 7:02 which was 6 months post-op. I ran 6:20 last year but not because of my achilles…it was because I was fat…:).

15. lodinpdx on July 2, 2013 5:58 pm

Aha - I looked you up. That is what happens when someone like myself has too much time and a computer! I see you are a Red Lizard and we both ran in the XC race at Portland Meadows last fall. Just for the record i did beat you there! But I love XC and that course is my favorite. I will be a spectator this year. AND - now that I kind of know you I will cheer for YOU, even though you are on the wrong team. GO BAC! :)

And yes this webiste is GREAT keeps me form watching really bad TV!

16. fiddle on July 2, 2013 8:50 pm

Yep, you beat me by a lot. Traffic was terrible on I-5 that day and I didn’t get to warm-up at all. Either that or maybe because I ran 20lbs overweight (notice a theme here?). Anyway, I’m injured again this year so it looks like I have to wait until 2014 for any faster racing.

This may not mean anything to you right now but one of the best exercises I found to break mental barriers is walking backwards. It will seem strange at first because you’ll get used to walking on your heel which you’ll want to avoid.

17. lodinpdx on July 2, 2013 11:13 pm

Oh no - what ails you now??? I have been injured a few too many times and ironically had just had a pretty good stretch of no injuries when this happened. Back to PT? I will try walking backwards - I can see why that would put less stress on the Achilles.

How did you hurt yours??

18. fiddle on July 3, 2013 12:03 am

I popped mine by thinking I was back in hi h school…:). I was coming off of XC season and decided I could break 5 seconds in a 40yd dash. My brothers and I had already run a few of them and I ran 5.05. Well, I have to break 5, right? It popped as I pushed off at the start and fell on my face. I thought one of my brothers had tripped me from behind. I looked back and no one was there. My achilles felt tingly and I knew what it was. Like u, I went to the ER even though I knew what it was. They did the Thompson test to confirm the rupture, put a bandage on it and told me to see an ortho the next day. $800 later…

I don’t want to take away from what you’re going through but my current injuries can best be told here: http://masterstrack.com/2013/01/24289/ I posted my video on comment #3…I think. I had knee surgery on 2/14 and hoping I can be cleared to run by next week. Enjoy…:).

19. lodinpdx on July 3, 2013 12:30 am

Oh my goodness that is horrible! Crazy injury. I am so sorry I’m thinking my boot is not so bad. We certainly seem to abuse ourselves and yet we have to do what we can to get back to it right?! I do not do anything resembling a sprint - the mile is about the shortest I would do. Well this year I think we will both be watching the XC meet in the sidelines but NEXT year….

20. fiddle on July 3, 2013 1:21 am

It sucks because Club XC championships will be in Bend…so close!

21. lodinpdx on July 3, 2013 5:04 pm

I KNOW!! I had actually been trying to recruit some 40 year olds to put together a decent BAC team. Oh well….