Jun 22 2015

Golf- I am back!

Published by lindaf at 9:46 pm under Uncategorized

Just shy of 17 weeks- I played my first round of golf. I did remarkably well - shot a 96. I was a little tentative at first, but felt better and more comfortable as the round went on. Distance was a little less, but that is ok. I played in my Teva sports sandals, as golf shoes or sneakers still press on my foot/ heel and are uncomfortable. For those that are hoping to get back to golf- just wanted to provide a little good news.

8 Responses to “Golf- I am back!”

1. gdubzon 23 Jun 2015 at 12:11 am

That’s just shy of 6 months! BOOM! I am sooooo happy for you and hope to get out there myself!

2. missterikon 23 Jun 2015 at 12:21 am

Yay! Congratulations! It helps to hear this and know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel! I am very happy for you! Enjoy!

3. eycemanon 23 Jun 2015 at 12:19 pm

Awesome, just a week past 4 months. I’m thinking about playing a round here soon.

4. Painterdudeon 24 Jun 2015 at 10:58 am

great news on you playing…..i’m just 5 weeks post surgery and seeing the PT guy today for the first time. I’m a very avid golfer and moved to our new retirement community to play several days a week. My goal is to get back by mid september………surgery was the end of May.

5. LindaFon 24 Jun 2015 at 8:58 pm

Yes, the 4 month mark seems realistic. I know when I tried to swing the golf club about a month ago, I could feel the pulling on my achilles and I couldn’t get off my back foot. At four months, I tried swinging again in PT and no longer felt the pull on my achilles and I was able to get off my back foot and on my toe. I was even surprised that I was able to play 18 holes so easily, so I hope my fellow golfers will have a similar experience. Definitely listen to your body and it will let you know when you are ready.

6. painterdudeon 08 Sep 2015 at 11:26 am

went in for my 3 months check up Aug 28(surgery on May 24)…Doctor said all looks great. I asked her about golf. She said I could chip and putt. I told her I started that 2 weeks ago. She told me I could try the driving range, so I went there that day. Lifted my right foot with woods, but planted on irons. Played the next day with the foot lift and shot a 79 off the front tees. The following week I moved back to the mid tees and kept my foot down. Little sore in the Achilles region after 16 holes. Did the ice etc and not real problems….Just to tell you 4 months is easy as I did it at a little more than 3 and I’m 65 years old. Great surgeon, great therapist and great patient who followed directions to the tee….and the golf tee. Keep the faith fellow golfers.

7. painterdudeon 13 Sep 2015 at 5:09 pm

played 2 more times and off the middle tees. Good results. No pain to speak of and no problem playing. The guys are moving me back to my regular white tees after hitting in the lower 70’s. Now I have to stay healthy. Good luck to you all and thanks for the good wishes.

8. LindaFon 14 Sep 2015 at 4:21 pm

Painterdude- glad to hear that your golf game has returned. I agree with your friends- if you are hitting in the low 70s you need to move back - great job!