Mar 22 2015

Incision feels irritated by boot- suggestions?

Published by lindaf at 7:59 am under Uncategorized

All day yesterday foot feel great. It seemed that my foot adjusted to the two wedges in the boot and was firmly and comfortably in the new position. However in the middle of night lower part of incision started to hurt like boot was rubbing/ irritating it.. I took off boot and had just a tad of dried blood on toeless sock doctor had put to pad my incision from boot and perhaps a little redness / swelling in that part of the incision area. I took some Advil and slept the rest of the night no boot or sock just trying to get relief. The OS wants boot on at all times to keep foot at proper angle- what would anyone suggest? I am icing/ elevating right now to try to get some relief. I am about 3-1/2 weeks post op still NWB until week 4. Is it better to keep foot aired out or force myself back into the boot.

16 Responses to “Incision feels irritated by boot- suggestions?”

1. andypezon 22 Mar 2015 at 8:43 am

Hey LindaF..I take the boot off when I’m hm..never slept with it..i ice 2x a day and when I sleep I wear a loose sock..I think circulation is key…incision area does cause irritation against boot..make sure boot is snug to prevent excess friction but not too snug to cut circulation. Ask you Dr. about neosporin or a lotion WITHOUT perfumes or added scents..something very organic perfume free. If you don’t wear boot at night obviously be real careful when your going to bathroom in the middle of night crutchn half a sleep.

2. donnaon 22 Mar 2015 at 11:24 am

By proper angle the OS wants it stretched to the point of angle of the boot but not beyond. So as long as you don’t stretch it beyond that it’s safe, however, by not keeping it immobilized you are not keeping it at that point (whatever it is, do you know?) because the foots natural inclination is to rest, slightly pointed down in planarflexion.

After 4 weeks I did not wear my boot all day I’d say 3/4 of the day and never to sleep. I was FWB so wore it to walk obviously and whenever I had to go out. But often at my desk or on the couch I iced and elevated (above the heart is important) instead. But that’s me and what my OS ok’d and I was comfortable with.

I think I’ve posted that sleeping with the boot is one of those things that there is no good medical evidence so docs use their own reasoning. My OS based not having me sleep in the boot because when questioned I told him I don’t move much (due to a old back injury I can only sleep in one position basically) in my sleep, I am a good and deep sleeper. He said something about natural ROM occurring during sleep which he encouraged. He also had me get a walker to use to go to the bathroom as crutches and night time peeing do not go well. He also had me use an ace bandage that I didn’t wind too tight to give some restriction to the tendon but not too much as the boot would have and to use a pillow as to be elevating above the heart all night, due to the side position I sleep in it all worked out fine.

As for the bleeding, wound, I’d have it looked at, but that’s me…I’d at least call and inquire about it. I never had the issue, though others have…and although I did and still do have tendon sensitivity at the repair site it’s manageable. I’m using a compounding cream my OS prescribed after the wound was healed and closed.

I used foam padding to alleviate the rubbing on the tendon incision, I wore a compression sock in the boot… there are lots of advice here on that, using lambs wool to line the boot is one I heard, eric98 used a tape and gauze, I think you need to find what works for you.

All my best to you Linda! Hang in there…the phase you are in can be a bitch! But YOU’VE got this!

3. LindaFon 22 Mar 2015 at 1:04 pm

Thanks Andy and Donna- good advice as always. I am in rest and elevate mode all day today and not going out. Luckily NCAA basketball is on, though it reminds me of how I got hurt. I am thinking I probably did too much yesterday because I was feeling so good, but paying for it today. No more bleeding so that is good. If not feeling better tomorrow will give the dr. a call. Will look into best way to pad boot too as that seems to be the main culprit of discomfort.

4. LindaFon 22 Mar 2015 at 1:07 pm

Donna- sorry didn’t answer ur question about foot angle. She took me from original post surgery angle to two wedges in the boot. Not sure of exact measurement. She said at week 6 I will go to one wedge and then start pt.

5. andypezon 22 Mar 2015 at 1:47 pm

Donna…I just got done hitting my everlast heavybag(no kicking of course)..feels good to do some upper body cardio outside on such a beautiful day. I wanted to tell you, since I found this site, you have been so helpful and knowledgeable about the recovery of achilles surgery. I sincerely thank you for your support through what can be a long process back to full recovery. You take the time out to help everyone on this site (and probably others too!) who unfortunately ruptured there achilles, and I sincerely thank you. I hope you continue to have a strong, healthy recovery.

6. donnaon 22 Mar 2015 at 2:25 pm

Awww thanks Linda…all my life I’ve been a teacher, I was born with a natural gift for gathering and disseminating information…I was blessed with a good collegiate education in science and in teaching…besides that I also have lots of time since I’m semi retired, not working since the injury and not going back until I feel like it…but mostly I enjoy all of you so much! I’m doing really well. Today my bf and I played 9 holes of Frisbee golf which we just took up a year ago. We just came home for lunch and so I could ice and rest as I tend to fatigue after a half hour or so…then we’re going back to play the back half. YAY!

As for the wedges, same exact way my OS did it with me, and I started PT at 6 weeks too. YAY for good OS’s!

7. donnaon 22 Mar 2015 at 2:36 pm

OOPs I guess that was Andy’s compliment I was acknowledging…and I was thinking “Way you go girl, doing bag work!”…ha ha.

Glad you enjoy the bag work Andy…it is so good to move during this time and I highly encourage everyone to find what you can do and do it…exercise is proven to help elevate mood. There are bi’s, tri’s, chest, back, shoulders to work as well as cardio…try dancing in the boot…it’s way fun!

My sports were kickboxing and martial arts, competed amateur middle weight full contact and black belt in Tang Soo Do. Triathlon, completed 16 Olympic distance over 4 years, mostly loved cycling and started as a competitive cyclist in Mass. Weight lifting was part of overall training. Got certified as a triathlon coach and personal trainer. Also taught various group exercise classes over the years like step aerobics and circuit training for extra money. Overuse injuries and a autoimmune disease put a stop to competition and the way I got my endorphin fix…I was a gym rat and cardio junkie…most definitely addicted. These days I hike/walk/cycle and recently as part of my rehab got back into free weight workouts for the upper body. The difference is I have no goal but to have FUN! YAY!

It’s now time for that back 9 holes of Frisbee golf…I’m working on my putting!

8. LindaFon 23 Mar 2015 at 1:52 pm

BOOT UPDATE: My NJ OS saw me today and I want to pass on some improtant information about boots- especially for those that may be behind me. The boot they gave me in FL has seams and all of the hard plastic parts right on the incision line and hence the reason for my discomfort. It was obvious when you felt the inside of the old boot why I was in so much pain. It was actually digging into my incision. The new boot has no seams in the back and the plastic parts are on the sides of the leg and not down the back. You will definitely want to check that if and when you get a boot. Dr. felt that there was no sign of infection, but told me if it starts to look red to call her and she will call in an antibiotic. She also said the neosporin wold be fine, but not to slather it on, nor cover it with a bandaid. I think I will hold off on that for now as I believe the boot change will be the answer. Also, she gave me the go ahead for driving ( since it is my left achilles that is injured) and I also asked about doing the alphabet with my foot and she said OK as long as there is no pain. Also, I start PWB on thursday ( 4 weeks post op) with two crutches, but not on stairs. Too tricky she said. So will stick with crawling up for now and my seated methodology on the way down.

9. scootermanon 23 Mar 2015 at 1:54 pm

Hi Linda!
    You and I are just about the same time in recuperation. We’re both golfers, (although my rupture came from tennis) so it will be interesting to compare notes as we go along. My surgery was on February 23 so today is my four-week date. At this point I am in a walking boot which the doctor gave me five days ago. I am partial weight-bearing with crutches.. I was never given any wedges and was set at 90 degrees from the outset. Seems a bit unusual. The doctor also has me sleeping in the boot because he doesn’t want to risk any plantarflexion during the night. I take my boot off three or four times a day to do range of motion exercises. Basically he has me spelling out the alphabet as my exercise. I’m also wearing a compression sock (recommended by the doctor) which seems to be keeping the swelling at a minimum. I think I will be gradually increasing the weight bearing, with crutches, and I’m hoping to begin some PT by week six. Doing upper body exercises now and hoping to get the go-ahead for stationary biking.

10. moustaon 23 Mar 2015 at 2:46 pm

Linda,
    Hope the irritation is going away and you are feeling.

Donna,
    I def. second what Andy said!! Thanks for your help and information.

11. donnaon 23 Mar 2015 at 4:29 pm

Great news Linda…glad you have a nice new boot! I’ve never heard of such a thing as seams in boots…so good to know.

12. LindaFon 23 Mar 2015 at 5:09 pm

Scooterman: yes we are just a few days apart. I wish I would have asked about the stationary bike today. It seems like a lot of people got the go ahead around week 3. I will start the alphabet tomorrow- what is the proper technique for that? I am also doing upper body. I start PWB Thursday. Did it hurt? Interesting you went to 90 degrees right away. Crazy with so many different protocols.

13. scootermanon 23 Mar 2015 at 8:38 pm

Pwb has not been hurting me. Proper technique is to step forward with injured foot at same time as the crutches. A helpful hint on the alphabet is to do it simultaneously with your good foot. It gives you a sense of how it should be done and a measure of your progress. Also helpful to support your foot with a pillow. Good luck! I haven’t heard back from my doctor yet to find out if I can use the stationary bike. I’ll keep you posted.

14. hongkongexpaton 26 Mar 2015 at 10:58 am

@Donna, just want to reiterate the previous comments from Andy and co… thanks so much for putting the time into commenting on other peoples blogs (and in such detail).

15. donnaon 26 Mar 2015 at 11:12 am

LOL…you are so very welcome…I am detail oriented and since I have the time to blog long detailed answers I do…in a few weeks I’m moving and with spring in the air and summer activities I know I won’t have the time…so I’m doing what I can while I can. Big smile for you…I am not going to post a very long answer to your questions! HA HA.

16. happy roomon 17 Jul 2018 at 1:55 am

I haven’t heard back from my doctor yet to find out if I can use the stationary bike. I’ll keep you posted. Good luck!