My story - a couple months late

First off, a big thank you to Dennis.  I have learned so much from this site and everyone’s encounters that it made mine that much easier to deal with. 

Feb 22nd - while playing dodgeball I ruptured my right achilles.  I had done a spin workout beforehand so I had stiffened up quite a bit and feel like I just pushed it too hard without properly warming up again.  The pain was bad, made me kind of sick to my stomach and light headed before I was able to sit down, but about a minute later I realized what I had done and the emotional side was much worse.  I knew I was in this for the long haul.

Feb 23rd - I was operated on and had my achilles put back together.  I will post pictures later.  I have a great doctor who understands that I am a triathlete (as he is one too) and want to return to my pre-injury level of activity.  I stayed in the hospital overnight and then went home around noon on the 24th

2 weeks post op - I got my first cast off, it had been wrappd and then the sides were cut to allow for the swelling.  The second cast was green at the recommendation of my wife as my little way of celebrating St. Patrick’s Day.  This one was tight the first few days then it really started to loosen as the swelling continued to decrease and my muscles atrophyed. 

6 weeks post op - I got my green cast off and was put into a walking boot by Ossur. It has the old fashioned Reebok pump and I started calling it my ‘robocop boot’  It was much nicer than the cast as I could go to fwb as soon as I was able and it only took me a day.  I hated the crutches and just wanted to be rid of them. 

7.5 weeks post op - the incision is healing well and the dead skin is all peeling off, but in one small area about half the size of an M&M there is a red dot that looked like a blister.  I emailed the picture over to my doctor and he said he would like me to come in for him to take a look.  So the next day I went into his office (this is now last Friday the 15th) and he says that if it looks like it can open he would like to clean it out and seal me back up.  As soon as he started playing with it, it popped and they saw what looked like an internal suture.  He said we could wait a week to see how it goes or just get it cleaned out today in the OR and he’d sew me back up.  Eventually he decided to take me into the OR where he actually found 2 stitches that were causing an inflammation and slowing the healing process.  I was sewn back up and put on antibiotics just in case, but he said there wasn’t any sign of an infection, just my body not liking those 2 sutures.  I am put back in a cast to reduce movement and allow the new incision to heal quicker.

8 weeks post op - the swelling is gone and the pain is minimal.  I realized that I had that inflammation for quite a while because the pain I had in the boot is gone.   I had gone 24 hours without eating or drinking before the operation on the 15th because they didn’t know when I could get in being that it was last minute.  I was so dehydrated and all that my body was not at its normal size and as I ate and drank upon recovery the cast got too tight. 

So that leads me to today, I am going back to the doctor to see if they can either put on a looser cast or go back to the boot. I know I need to keep the stitches in another 5 days or so and I go back to the doctor next Tuesday for that so we shall see.  I find that the cooler I am, the less pain the cast gives me, but as soon as it warms up and I swell a little, the air can’t get in and it gets annoying.  Definitely not painful to the point I need medication, but the last cast was much more comfortable and I am using that as my baseline.

Leave a Reply

To prove you're a person (not a spam script), type the security word shown in the picture.
Anti-Spam Image

Powered by WP Hashcash