Just looking at the rehab further down the line. Do people generally get a lot of swelling? Do you find you end up using ice quite a lot? I’m thinking of buying a cryo cuff. Has anyone used one and found it helpful?

Comments

6 Comments so far

1. donna on April 24, 2015 2:33 pm

I had no swelling until weeks 7/8 when I went into two shoes and started standing up in PT. It’s reported all over the place in these blogs…(from my observations) no one escapes swelling and it seems to come on with movement if it didn’t come on earlier, but it is individual in the extent and how long it lasts…generally from mild to severe and it seems to go away between 4 - 6 months…so YES, invest in a good icing system! I’d suggest something you can move in so a cuff would be perfect. I iced on average twice a day (occasionally three times a day)from week 8 - five months…then once a day…I haven’t iced in the last 10 days or so (24 weeks). Maybe others will chime in with their experience. Good thinking ahead!

2. missterik on April 25, 2015 6:43 am

Donna, Can you recommend a brand of icing machine?

3. Kristian on April 25, 2015 8:27 am

Hi. From general physio use I can recommend the cryo cuff. It is a fantastic bit of kit but comes with a professional price tag. Would still have a good resale value when you have finished with it though so may be worth buying. The combination of compression and ice is really good for swelling. You would need to buy the container unit and then the ankle cuff. The ice and water in the unit stay cold for several hours so you can use it a few times without needing extra ice. Once set up you can detach the container and pipe from the ankle cuff. In theory you could then get around NWB. The downside is the price and that it would do your entire ankle joint

4. donna on April 25, 2015 3:22 pm

I used patterson medical cold packs because my PT was able to give them to me, for cold packs they did the job, however, had I not been on a budget due to my injury and not being cleared to work I would have gotten something like Krisitan suggests. I’d want to be able to move in it also. I had three injuries to ice, ankle, knee, and back…by the third body part the cold was gone and I’d been sitting for almost an hour. So long lasting cold and mobility would be helpful. I’d google image amazon to get ideas and see the range of products available as well as reviews and pricing to find something in your budget.

5. kristian on May 2, 2015 10:15 am

Ice update. I ordered the cryo cuff and started using it yesterday. The combination of ice and compression has been working great on the swelling. Half way through each icing session I reconnect the pipe to the cuff and raise the cuff. This transfers the cold water back to the ice tank, give it a quick shake and then raise the tank. Ice cold water then comes back into the cuff so the effectiveness of the session is not reduced with a ‘warming’ ice pack.

The other surprise is how long the tank stays cool. I filled it with ice and water 18 hours ago. It has stayed cool after 3 sessions and has been stored at room temperature. There is still plenty of ice in. I can see it lasting the best part of 24 hours. This is great when you are not overly mobile.

If you are early on post ATR I couldn’t recommend it more. The initial outlay is significant compared to an ice pack (around £100 in the UK with ankle cuff). I’m sure you would get a good resale value on eBay after.

6. James on January 30, 2016 2:09 am

Someone above asked what brand: Aircast is number one brand for cryo cuffs for pricing and quality. Some of the other high end brands are donjoy a little more expensive but the cooler has more power. The coolers also create a intermittent compression which in turn helps in healing faster. It is something for keeps

Name (required)