7 Weeks Post-Op! 2 Shoes (in the house)

I’m a week
late – but I had my 6 week post-op visit last week and my Dr. told me I could start
transitioning off the boot and to start doing so at home.  I still wear the boot when I’m out in the
scary, uneven world, which also helps me move a little faster.  I keep my crutches in my car just in case I’m
going somewhere with poor sidewalks or uneven terrain.


I also
started my PT last Friday, and I cannot wait to go back later today.  I spent a lot of time finding the right PT,
and I could not be happier.  He started
out with some strength and flexibility measurements, showed me some exercises I
can do at home, and then did the Graston massage.  In addition to the obvious factors used to
pick the right PT (ATR experience, Graston, etc.,) I also wanted to find
someone that markets and studies human mechanics or body movement science –
honestly, I’m not sure what the actual term is – but I think you know what I
mean.  My PT has given me confidence that
I will be back to 100% strength after my full recovery.  He may even get me jumping a little higher
for beach volleyball by working on my mechanics.  I’m also going to pick his brain to make sure
that I increase my strength and flexibility to do my best to avoid any other
devastating injuries.


I’ve also
started going back to the gym last week. 
Starting back slowly, but it is nice to get that pump in.  Of course, it’s a modified routine which
basically removes any standing exercises and cardio.  I just had my pool resurfaced so I have to
brush it daily (with the boot on, of course), which is the only time I’ve
gotten a good sweat in since my injury. 
Soon, I’ll be using it for PT.


The Dr. said
I could sleep with the boot off – but I still wear it to bed (my wife made me
buy two so I could have a clean one to sleep in).  I just don’t quite trust myself yet.  Does anyone think that is counterproductive
to the recovery?  I also wear it so I can
pee in the middle of the night – I’ve been drinking a lot of water and green
tea and I have to go at least once a night… 


Anyway –
things are getting better!  I know that
it was hard to imagine in the beginning, but there does seem to be a light at
the end of the tunnel.  Lots of Love and
Positive Healing Vibes to my ATR Squad!



3 weeks post-op

AR Squad!


I had this whole long post and when I published it was totally blank… ugh. 

I don’t really have the time to re-do it - but things are seemingly going well. 

Question:  I sleep with the boot (Dr.’s Orders) but keep it very loose.  Is this a problem? 

Anyway, I’ll do a more thorough re-post later.


Happy Healing




Bump, set, spike… Down, set, hike

Good morning AF (Achilles Family):


First, I want to give a big shout-out to Dennis for taking the time to set up this support system for me and everyone in the AF.  Naturally, I was a little “down in the dumps” when I did my WebMD research into how long it takes to heal from a total ATR. 

How it happened:

As the name above suggests, for those sports fans out there, I am passionate about many sports - but there are two in particular that I spend a lot of time playing: Beach Volleyball and Football.  I grew up in Hawaii, and played football in the streets with my friends until the sun went down - eventually playing for my high schools in Hawaii and S. Florida.  I wasn’t quite big enough to play in college - but I continued to play intramural flag football until February 2, 2016 - the date of my rupture.  Like many of the stories I’ve read, I was lined up to run a route late in the game and all of a sudden I heard and felt this loud pop, and it felt like someone just kicked me in the back of my heel.  Knowing the play, and knowing that no one was supposed to be back there (although I was hopeful) I turned around and knew I was in trouble.  My teammates helped me to the sideline and I went to the emergency room where they immediately diagnosed it and referred me to a specialist.  I had surgery on February 9, 2016, and am in a cast.  I have an appointment tomorrow to remove my stitches and to see if I can go into a boot.  I know everyone’s recovery is different, but something tells me I’ll be in another cast for a couple of weeks. 

Beach Volleyball:

My primary sport (now) is beach volleyball.  I learned from the best when I was in college and have been in love with the sport ever since.  One of the best players in the world was in my fraternity and I only wish I started playing when I was in Hawaii.  Either way, one of the hardest parts of this was telling my partner that I would be unable to compete this year as we had been working out and training for a long time.  The best part of beach is that I don’t seem to get hurt like I do playing football.. probably due to the low impact nature of the sport.  I would pull a muscle at least once a year playing football - but I have yet to have a serious injury that was caused by beach volleyball.  My love for this sport and my desire not to lose a step or inch of vertical are driving me to stay vigilant in my diet and physical therapy (once I am able to start). 


The first thing that I thought of when I got hurt was how hard this was going to be on my wife.  She’s amazing.  We have a one year old son and we were set to move into a new house the same weekend I got hurt..  I felt horrible.  We ended up hiring a moving company, but she has single handedly taken care of me, my son, and unpacked our whole house - I don’t know what I’d do without her.  I also have to be driven everywhere since I injured my right leg. 

This went on longer than I thought - I can be a bit long-winded.  Thanks for reading and thanks to everyone for their support.  I am committing to keeping up my blog throughout my journey to full recovery.  Being able to read success stories has given me hope and I want to do that for those that come after me.