New and Blue

July 28th, 2008

Just had splint removed, boot put on….  owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Surgery was 7/18,  silly me thought I’d be able to hobble around by now…. but I cant even put weight on it.  Feel pulling/tearing feeling along incision and aching/throbbing inside….  I think i push myself to hard, Mom of 3 (9,7,5 yrs. old)

Was thinking that maybe a hot shower would loosen it up….

K.

6 Responses to “New and Blue”

1. jenny on July 28, 2008 8:01 pm

Hi K, I am a mom of three also, 13, 10, and 11 months. I am 6.5 weeks post-op and just started PWB three days ago. It is quite uncomfortable, and yet feels really good at the same time as it improves the blood circulation in the foot. Crazy. If you are only 10 days post-op you should probably be waiting awhile before you start putting any weight on it. There are many different protocols being used out there by surgeons but I don’t think I have come across any blogs where people started that early. You could risk re-rupture and a second surgery if you push too hard. I know that is is really hard with 3 kids, I too am used to go-go-going all the time, but you are going to very quickly learn to slow down and accept that your body needs to heal and that it is very important. Take it easy. Your two oldest should be able to help you out some and keep your youngest occupied. Good luck and get the rest that your body desperately needs right now. Jen.

2. kndunn on July 29, 2008 3:01 pm

Thanks for your kind reply. I sometimes think I have to heal quickly to prove something….apparently I think i’m bionic or something… so I get frustrated. Because my achilles didn’t fully rupture, I think the dr. is speeding up the process, and I need to remind myself to move at my own pace and not worry about disappointing the dr.
    When you put weight on your foot does it feel like the back of your heal is tearing? Thats the feeling i get.
    I worry that the incision will split open..yuk.

Good luck with your recovery… Kam

3. hilary13 on July 30, 2008 10:57 am

Hi there. I also had surgery (for a full rupture) on 7/18. I am in a boot, but was told no weight bearing. My next visit with the surgeon is on 8/8. I have two kids, 8 and 5, so I know how hard it is to be side-lined. Try as we might, we are still having some very difficult family moments. I know that I will heal, but only with patience and time. The logistical family issues are another story. As the beginning of school approaches, I just get more worried about logistics…my injury is R side, so I can’t drive (even with a leftie attachment). Anyway, I know all the parents with young kids are going through this too. I am just trying not to get riled up, and to give up some of the control (the hardest part). This site really helps, so keep writing. hilary

4. sheila on August 1, 2008 7:55 am

As the others have said,just try to be patient and let it heal. Only time will get it to where it needs to be before you can safely start walking on it more. I am at 8 weeks and although it feels really good, even when putting FWB on it, I still limit my FWB use to around the house and use either 1 or 2 crutches, depending on how far I will be going (around work 1, getting in/out of office 2, anywhere else outside of house, 2).

Both of my cars are manual transmission, so although it was my left foot, I couldn’t drive either (a friend has since loaned me an automatic). Maybe you can find a trusted neighbor or neighbors who can help with the logistics - if you ride with the neighbor & kids to and from school you are just asking for a ride, not a babysitter. If the requests are spread around, maybe several people can help for each shift, morning and evening pickups. it is Ok to ask for help during this time. People understand and those who can help, will do so happily. I think asking for and accepting help is one of the hardest things I had to learn during this. Good luck with all of your logistics. I only had work to really worry about and it was stressful enough. :)

As for the pulling you described, I had that too in the beginning for several weeks. There is notable difference between that burning stretching/pulling of the wound and stitches and the pull of the tendon just gentle stretching. just another sign that it isn’t healed yet and you have to give it more time before using it. It will get there if you just let it heal. :) Stay strong, it’s happening every day!

5. sheila on August 1, 2008 7:57 am

Eeeks! Sorry for all the typos. My caffeine hasn’t kicked in. :-P

6. Jacksprat on August 2, 2008 3:50 pm

Hi K,
    being single with no kids I can only imagine how much more difficult it must be having 3 young cubs to look after.
    I know this will sound crazy but in recovery, like fitness, during the early days the quickest way to get “fit” is to go slow. At this point and maybe a bit longer, all you should be doing is jealously resting and guarding your leg as if it were your 4th child! The early days are the most critical; remember, to get fit fast go slow!
    PS. I was keen to drive and thought about hiring an automatic (I get taxis every day to work). It turned out more expensive than the taxi’s (automatics not so common in UK) but someone also told me that even though I could physically drive it may well invalidate my driving insurance due to my cast/condition. Anyone driving please check your insurance; where does the Devil live? In the small print; dont get caught out!