Eight weeks and in two shoes

February 20, 2009 | |

Short visit with my Dr. yesterday and now I’m walking in two shoes. I don’t know who’s happier, me, or my wife now that she knows she doesn’t have to shuttle me everywhere. Here’s what I think helped me get to this point these past four weeks since losing the cast:

1) Do stretches first thing in the morning, even while in bed. I think this really helped me. Each morning the calf and tendon is tight, I would do my physical therapy approved stretches often before getting out of bed and putting the boot on.

2) Walk, walk, and walk some more. Walking in the boot is uncomfortable, but its worth the discomfort to get the leg moving. You may not think the heel’s getting any benefit, but I think any movement helps. Both my Dr. and therapist stressed the need to walk, and I think it helped.

3) Give yourself a massage. Five minutes rubbing the scar helped to loosen things up. I’d try to do it sitting at my desk, on the couch, any opportunity I could find.

4) Read through Achillesblog.com. I continue to find useful information throughout this site. I read it once a week for some motivation and to get valuable information.

Good luck everyone!

Comments

9 Comments so far

1. bode on February 20, 2009 11:46 am

Congrats on the two shoes in 8 weeks! You give me hope! Thanks!

2. Robby on February 28, 2009 4:08 am

hey kmcnabb

When did you start for physio? I am coming up to post 4 weeks after op. (Cast for 3 wks, boot for 1 week so far)

Robby

3. Robby on February 28, 2009 4:08 am

hey kmcnabb

When did you start physio? I am coming up to post 4 weeks after op. (Cast for 3 wks, boot for 1 week so far)

Robby

4. kmcnabb on March 2, 2009 9:11 am

I started physio at 4 weeks, once the cast was off. I went twice a week for 4 weeks while working on basic stretching and flexibility with the heel. No strength therapy. Once I got the boot off and in two shoes, strength therapy began - very light. I’m now on the stationary bike and elliptical for about 10 to 15 minutes at a time.

5. how to find clipboard history in windows 10 on September 18, 2018 2:59 am

I don’t know anything about clipboard feature but this online tutorial teaches everything about this and how to use this in windows 10 operating system desktop. This is not a inbuilt feature in windows 10 and you have to download this from windows store.

6. build royale on December 3, 2019 1:16 am

feel regret I did not know this before I read your article, thank you for sharing with us!

7. mapquest directions on January 9, 2020 1:23 am

Great article, I have read a lot of articles on this topic, but I think your article has the most impressive and detailed content, I hope you will have more interesting songs. More to bring to the reader, thank you for sharing.

8. 1v1 lol on February 11, 2020 12:47 am

This is a great little post with some valuable tips. I totally agree. The way you bring passion and engagement into the things you do can really change your outlook on live.

9. bmi calculator on May 25, 2020 11:53 pm

The content of your post gives me a message worth learning.

Name (required)