Apr 29 2013

kkirk

Week 28: Knee getting better and a new program :)

Posted at 7:45 PM under 2-Shoes, Post-Op

Well since last week my knee is on the mend, its not at 100%, but the pain is gradually subsiding. During the early part of this week, I was still not doing any jogging or strengthen, so I started focusing more on my upper body and core. I’m going to try and put this into my workout program over the next few weeks. Today I finally went back to a gym, since Physical therapy was cut off by my insurance coverage, so its time to continue on my own. Although, I’m considering paying for some personal trainer session to create a better program for myself. This last weekend my girlfriend competing in the Park to Park Half Marathon in Waynesboro, VA and had a new personal best. Since I’m at least a few months away from running, I was the designated support group passing goo packs and electrolyte tablets! :) At one of the viewing points, I had a conversation with one of the runners who had already finished and came back to cheer on the other racers. HE wanted to know about my Achillesblog shirt. He had a laugh with the (#@! > NWB > PWB >FWB) Afterwardsd he said, “I would fall apart if that happened to me”! To which I replied, “You might surprise yourself if you happen to deal with something like this. :)

Here is a photo of us pre-race at 6am (dang it was  cold outside).

Watching all the runners made me want to change my approach to my rehab. Mainly, sticking with a solid and incremental program, so to (hopefully) not have anymore setbacks. So today at the gym, before my calf strengthening routine, I started a couch to 10K program that I’m going to try (to the best of my ability) to stick to. I think its 14 weeks long (3 days a week). These early sessions seem a little on the easy side, but my knee still feels a little weird, so I guess that is ok. I will alternate off days with either rest or low impact cardio and keep at least 3 leg strengthening workout a week to hit this atrophy head on. So tomorrow will be the elliptical, Wed. will be another jog/walk session, and Thursday spin class. I’ll see how this treats my leg over the next couple of weeks and keep everyone posted.  :)

8 responses so far

8 Responses to “Week 28: Knee getting better and a new program :)”

1. ryanbon 30 Apr 2013 at 12:01 AM 1

Very interested to hear how the couch->10K program works for you, and especially to see if/how it affects the rehab of the Achilles. Makes sense that our post ATR calves might be roughly equivalent to couch potato fitness levels… maybe this is just what it needs! Keep us posted-

2. kkirkon 30 Apr 2013 at 6:49 AM 2

Will do. The issue is not my endurance, core, or even upper leg strength, but my calf, knee, and ankle stability. This was suggested by my PT (who I still see socially) and one of Personal trainers I know through gym and church. :)

3. normofthenorthon 30 Apr 2013 at 12:37 PM 3

Good luck with it. After “be incremental”, I’ve got amazingly little advice about avoiding other injuries while getting back to 100%. But I do have one “mind game”: I still remember getting a nasty bone bruise on my “good” shin, maybe as far into ATR rehab as you are. The bruise was miserable, and impaired my fun and activity. But I also remember being weirdly cheered by the injury, because what was holding me back was NOT my ATR! In a weird way — I never said I wasn’t weird — I could get satisfaction from remembering when I couldn’t go 30 seconds without thinking about the ATR, when I couldn’ even imagine being totally focussed on my OTHER side.

It’s probably not for everybody, but if you can “do weird”, it might help turn lemons into lemonade…

4. kkirkon 30 Apr 2013 at 2:08 PM 4

That’s a great point. But moving forward with your thought pattern, my hamstrings and quads are aching in a good way today after my leg workout yesterday and the achilles and calf feel great. Its a good feeling when another part of my body is sore instead of my calf or AT So here is to an improve recovery, outlook, and results…. since today is Crosstrain and upper body day :)

5. Darrynon 30 Apr 2013 at 9:34 PM 5

I’m also interested in how the couch to 10k works. I considered going to a beginning running group, but decided in the end not to.

6. kkirkon 30 Apr 2013 at 11:08 PM 6

I’m following the program in an iphone app 10K for Pink. BASicallyITs basically their Couch to 5K and then continuing for some more weeks and increases the distance a little quicker. Most of the workout use interval running (or really interval jogging/walking) so the first week(s) looks something like this

Week 1 Day 1 = 5 min Warmup, 60 seconds of jogging, 90 seconds of walking until it reaches a total of 20 minutes. 5 Minute Cooldown

Week 1 Day 2 = 5 min Warmup, 60 seconds of jogging, 90 seconds of walking until it reaches a total of 20 minutes. 5 Minute Cooldown

Week 1 Day 3 = 5 min Warmup, 60 seconds of jogging, 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes. 5 Minute Cooldown

Week 2 Day 1 = 5 min Warmup, 90 seconds of jogging, 2 minutes of walking until it reaches a total of 20 minutes. 5 Minute Cooldown

Week 2 Day 2 = 5 min Warmup, 90 seconds of jogging, 2 minutes of walking until it reaches a total of 20 minutes. 5 Minute Cooldown

Week 2 Day 3 = 5 min Warmup, 90 seconds of jogging, 2 minutes of walking until it reaches a total of 20 minutes. 5 Minute Cooldown

Week 3 Day 1 = 5 min Warmup, Then do 2 repetitions of the following: Jog for 90 seconds, walk for 90 seconds. Jog for 3 minutes, walk for 3 minutes. 5 Minute Cooldown

Week 3 Day 2 = 5 min Warmup, Then do 2 repetitions of the following: Jog for 90 seconds, walk for 90 seconds. Jog for 3 minutes, walk for 3 minutes. 5 Minute Cooldown

Week 3 Day 3 = 5 min Warmup, Then do 2 repetitions of the following: Jog for 90 seconds, walk for 90 seconds. Jog for 3 minutes, walk for 3 minutes. 5 Minute Cooldown

Week 4 Day 1 - Five minute Warmup. Jog for 3 minutes then walk for 90 seconds; Jog for 5 minutes then walk 2.5 Minutes; Jog 3 minutes then walk 90 seconds. Jog for 5 minutes. Then Cooldown

Week 4 Day 2 - Five minute Warmup. Jog for 3 minutes then walk for 90 seconds; Jog for 5 minutes then walk 2.5 Minutes; Jog 3 minutes then walk 90 seconds. Jog for 5 minutes. Then Cooldown

Week 4 Day 3 - Five minute Warmup. Jog for 3 minutes then walk for 90 seconds; Jog for 5 minutes then walk 2.5 Minutes; Jog 3 minutes then walk 90 seconds. Jog for 5 minutes. Then Cooldown

Week 5 Day 1 - Five minute Warmup. Jog for 5 minutes then walk for 3 minutes; Jog for 5 minutes then walk 3 Minutes; Jog for 5 minutes. Then Cooldown

Week 5 Day 2 - Five minute Warmup. Jog for 5 minutes then walk for 3 minutes; Jog for 5 minutes then walk 3 Minutes; Jog for 5 minutes. Then Cooldown

Week 5 Day 3 - Five minute Warmup. Jog for 5 minutes then walk for 3 minutes; Jog for 5 minutes then walk 3 Minutes; Jog for 5 minutes. Then Cooldown

Week 6 Day 1 - Five minute Warmup. Jog for 5 minutes then walk for 3 minutes; Jog for 8 minutes then walk 3 Minutes; Jog for 5 minutes. Then Cooldown

Week 6 Day 2 - Five minute Warmup. Jog for 5 minutes then walk for 3 minutes; Jog for 8 minutes then walk 3 Minutes; Jog for 5 minutes. Then Cooldown

Week 6 Day 3 - Five minute Warmup. Jog for 5 minutes then walk for 3 minutes; Jog for 8 minutes then walk 3 Minutes; Jog for 5 minutes. Then Cooldown

Week 7 Day 1 - Five minute warmup then jog 2.5 miles or 25 minutes. Cooldown

Week 7 Day 2 - Five minute warmup then jog 2.5 miles or 25 minutes. Cooldown

Week 7 Day 3 - Five minute warmup then jog 2.5 miles or 25 minutes. Cooldown

Week 8 Day 1 - Five minute warmup then jog 2.75 miles or 28 minutes. Cooldown

Week 8 Day 2 - Five minute warmup then jog 2.75 miles or 28 minutes. Cooldown

Week 8 Day 3 - Five minute warmup then jog 2.75 miles or 28 minutes. Cooldown

Week 9 Day 1 Five minute Warmup then Run 10 minutes then walk 1 minute (Repeat 4 times)

Week 9 Day 2 - Five minute Warmup then Run 10 minutes then walk 1 minute (Repeat 4 times)

Week 9 Day 3 - Five minute Warmup then Run 10 minutes then walk 1 minute (Repeat 4 times)

Week 10 Day 1 - Five minute Warmup then Run 15 minutes then walk 1 minute (Repeat 3 times)

Week 10 Day 2 - Five minute Warmup then Run 15 minutes then walk 1 minute (Repeat 3 times)

Week 10 Day 3 - Five minute Warmup then Run 15 minutes then walk 1 minute (Repeat 3 times)

Week 11 Day 1 - Five minute Warmup then Run 17 minutes then walk 1 minute (Repeat 3 times)

Week 11 Day 2 - Five minute Warmup then Run 17 minutes then walk 1 minute (Repeat 3 times)

Week 11 Day 3 - Five minute Warmup then Run 17 minutes then walk 1 minute (Repeat 3 times)

Week 12 Day 1 - Five minute Warmup then Run 18 minutes then walk 1 minute (Repeat 3 times)

Week 12 Day 2 - Five minute Warmup then Run 18 minutes then walk 1 minute (Repeat 3 times)

Week 12 Day 3 - Five minute Warmup then Run 18 minutes then walk 1 minute (Repeat 3 times)

Week 13 Day 1 - Five minute Warmup then Run 22 minutes then walk 1 minute (Repeat 2 times)

Week 13 Day 2 - Five minute Warmup then Run 22 minutes then walk 1 minute (Repeat 2 times)

Week 13 Day 3 - Five minute Warmup then Run 22 minutes then walk 1 minute (Repeat 2 times)

Week 14 Day 1 - Five minute Warmup then Run for 60 minutes

Week 14 Day 2 - Five minute Warmup then Run for 60 minutes

Week 14 Day 3 - Five minute Warmup then Run for 60 minutes

Anyway, that’s the program. There are many out there, b ut I specifically wanted one using intervals. I’ m also going to Cross-train on one of the 2 off days and rest for the other 2 days. Hope this help :)

7. Darrynon 01 May 2013 at 9:47 PM 7

Thanks. I’m doing intervals now, and plan to continue until no swelling (which I guess could be several months). I think I will limit max run time to shorter than the above, e.g. 3-5 min run then 1min walk. This is what the Galloway approach recommends.

8. kkirkon 02 May 2013 at 7:00 AM 8

I’ll have to check that out later today and (may) make some modification myself (as needed) :)