Nov 19 2012

kkirk

Posted at 3:30 PM under NWB, Physical Therapy, Post-Op

It’s been almost six weeks since my surgery, and I was finally cleared to start Physical Therapy. I had my first appointment today and basically was assessed and the whole process was explained. I didn’t really learn anything new that I hadn’t found out through everyone’s blogs on here.

I know they aren’t moving my foot to neutral in the boot until after the weekend, even though I can already flex my foot to the neutral position. My Therapist said that my ROM was very good at this time after taking all her measurements and writing all those notes. This is the same person who worked with me before my surgery, and I’ve enjoyed working with them. She is a few years younger than me and easy to talk to.  So she finished explaining the process about how we will get to FWB, and puts some ice on my ankle. She said she has a few questions for my doctor about protocol and when to start PWB. She came back and gave me fair warning that the next couple of weeks would be very boring, but its still going to be better than sitting around the house.

Here is a video of my ankle the day after. So far I can flex to to neutral, but still have a long way to go. (Finally figured out how to post links correctly!) ~Now to figure out embedding them. :)

My biggest issue this week has been the swelling around the top of my foot and the right side of my ankle. I have to RICE minimum 3 times day or suffer the consequences. I have an appointment for Wednesday morning to get my home Therapy program and go over all the different exercises I probably already know. :) And then I’m going up to the Mountains to visit my girlfriend’s family for Thanksgiving. I’ll post again after I get my exercise program and other instructions.

15 responses so far

15 Responses to “Week 6 pt. 2: 1st Week of Physical Therapy: Slow Start and Lots of Swelling (with Video)”

1. soccergotmeon 19 Nov 2012 at 4:25 PM 1

Good luck…. funny how different doctors have their own protocols. I’m set to go PWB to FWB starting this week, but I haven’t had any PT, don’t have instructions to start it anytime soon and haven’t been given any instructions to take off the boot and try things like the writing the alphabet thing I read about. Basically I think she figures I’ll be FWB by the time I meet her in two weeks. At that appointment which will come at 6 weeks post op I’m guessing she will give me either PT or at home instructions. Reading everything in the blogs I feel like I should be doing something now at 4 weeks to work on ROM atleast but haven’t been told to do anything.
    Its a problem that I have, the whole follow instructions thing! Always made curfew, spent time in the military doing what I was told so now I’m just going with her plan and trusting her protcol will be effective

2. kkirkon 19 Nov 2012 at 6:18 PM 2

MY doc has me on a conservative protocol. AS some of the answers I wanted I had to ask/pry to get an answer (ie: removing the boot). I won’t even start PWB until I adjust my boot to neutral in a week, I think. (My PT was going to clarify this before Wed.) I assume I will start PWB starting next week and gradually work towards FWB, however long that takes! Many of our doctors have so many other patients the little details don’t get answered. I look forward to have my therapist there weekly to be a go to person for these answers. BTW I fon’t go back to see my doctor until Dec. 12th.

3. darrynon 20 Nov 2012 at 9:06 PM 3

Nice video. I can’t think of two many web sites where people are interested in someone moving their foot back and forward.

4. kkirkon 20 Nov 2012 at 11:57 PM 4

I know. I’m thankful for Achillesblog! :)

5. emmqon 21 Nov 2012 at 5:50 AM 5

Good luck KKirk! Take care of the swelling, but don’t let it get you down! :-)

6. alysbachon 21 Nov 2012 at 10:38 AM 6

WOW look at you with your ROM!! Your ROM is much better than mine yet I am PWB and have been for just over a week. I still have a wedge in my boot about 5cm as you know friends adapted my boot for me as i am still waiting for one from the hospital. You are doing so well

7. kkirkon 21 Nov 2012 at 12:08 PM 7

Thank you. My doctor has been real conservative And I don’t get to start PWB until Monday after they move my boot to neutral. We all are trying to get to the same point. Happy Healing.

8. alysbachon 21 Nov 2012 at 4:37 PM 8

Thanks I am still not neutral with my boot

9. loneachillesoftexason 21 Nov 2012 at 9:48 PM 9

Your planterflexion looks great! Further along than mine and we are at about the same point after surgery.

10. kkirkon 21 Nov 2012 at 10:24 PM 10

It is, but I’m still NWB for a couple more days.

11. mandy000on 22 Nov 2012 at 2:24 AM 11

Great video! So you are 6 weeks now, PT 1st visit and you can already do that movement in the video….you must have been so excited! Prior to seeing the PT had you done anything? I wiggle my toes around a bit but that’s all. I’ve never been so interested un someone else’s foot :). Yay to you!

12. kkirkon 22 Nov 2012 at 10:45 AM 12

Not much. Wiggling my toes, hamstring curls, and leg lifts. Basically only working my upper leg and hip. I still can’t cycle really because of my NWB status.

13. brokenbrideon 22 Nov 2012 at 11:10 AM 13

Nice work Kevin. Looks like that turn for the better has finally come. K

14. kkirkon 22 Nov 2012 at 12:55 PM 14

Very much so. Even though I haven’t tried any weight bearing yet. It great to start some ROM, and isometric exercises with my foot/ankle.

15. Wheelchair24on 24 May 2019 at 6:08 AM 15

Hey, very nice blog. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.

FS Transit Wheelchair