Oct 10 2012

kkirk

One Day Post-op

Posted at 8:47 AM under NWB, Post-Op

Got back home about 8:00pm last night. Surgery went very well. The doctor said he decided against the toe graft and just reconnected the torn tendon, but since it had retracted so much, the incision was much bigger.

Either way, at least the process is started and I can begin my recovery. The pain today has been tolerable, but its been hard to keep my leg elevated. I’ve been using television to keep my mind off it.

The doctor said since the incision was so long they opted to make some sort of splint wrap, which weighs a ton. I have to wear this one for two weeks until the first follow up appointment. Here’s what it looks like.

Post-op Splint Wrap

Hopefully, this is the beginning of getting back to the way I was.

Happy trails.

6 responses so far

6 Responses to “One Day Post-op”

1. sheenaon 10 Oct 2012 at 9:33 AM 1

Glad you got your surgery at last. do you know what sort of protocol you’ll be following?

2. kkirkon 10 Oct 2012 at 10:05 AM 2

The doctor supposedly said he wanted to see what was going on at my first follow up in 13 days. Until then I just going to rest up try to increase ADL. Hope you are moving along well to.

3. ryanbon 10 Oct 2012 at 2:10 PM 3

FWIW, that’s exactly what my post-op setup looked like too. Kind of a 2-part clam-shell cast, held together with the Ace bandages. I think this allows the splint to close down as the post-op swelling subsides.

13 days seems like a long time though, my post-op visit was on day 5. At that point, I got a much lighter, one-sided (back only) splint, which was also wrapped on with an Ace.

4. sheenaon 10 Oct 2012 at 4:40 PM 4

Hi there,
    let us know your protocol and hopefully it won’t be too slow? Maybe you can have some say in that? Have a look at Ryan’s first hundred days on his blog. Inspiring and informative too.

5. kkirkon 10 Oct 2012 at 5:17 PM 5

I will do both. Going to have plenty of time :)

I have a feeling it’s going to be on the slower side, only because the doctor made a comment about not rushing it, and that he wanted me to be NWB for 5-6 weeks because of the extent of the reconstruction surgery. He gave some more reasoning, but I really can’t remember the rest of the conversation. I’m sure that’s a bit on the slow side. My main concern is making sure if heals right. I’m not in a rush, but I don’t wont to make any mistakes either.

6. Institutional Wheel Wheelchairon 01 Nov 2018 at 7:45 AM 6

Pleasant post, Thank you for sharing profitable data. I appreciated perusing this post. The entire blog is extremely pleasant discovered some well done and great data here Thanks for sharing…Also visit my page.

Institutional Wheel Wheelchair