Oct 06 2008

kkdub

Boot Goes to Hawaii (@14 wks)…..first class

Posted at 1:37 pm under Monthly

Even though I’ve been cleared for two shoes, I brought the boot to Hawaii to wear through airports and such.  Glad I did it due to the amount of walking – I actually think it helped – PT of sorts.  The boot also got me first class on the way home b/c the “cocktail waitress” felt bad for me, so she finagled the seat.  I think half of my trip was free due to the boot – free drinks, front of line etc.  Maybe I don’t actually want to take off the boot.   I even got lots of compliments at a recent wedding for coordinating my dress with boot.  Ha!

Now I’m in Capitola in California.  Big Surfing community but obviously I’m just on the beach - Zeldas -  drinking a mimosa – no surfing yet.

To those just starting out after surgery…it gets better.  I can’t believe how great it is to walk around in the boot after three months of inactivity.  Mornings are still the worst and after a long day of walking around I have to ice….but all in all, getting better everyday.  I look forward to the Elliptical and swimming when I get back from vacation.  No running yet, unfortunately

I love reading all the posts…..even if I’m not checking every day (I used to check every five minutes when I was on the couch…so I guess that’s progress).

Go Bears

7 responses so far

7 Responses to “Boot Goes to Hawaii (@14 wks)…..first class”

1. Marianneon 06 Oct 2008 at 6:18 pm 1

Kkdub,
    Wonderful hearing that you are had great Hawaiian vacation, with all the perks ala “the boot”!!!! I love the pics you posted …Capitola looks really nice too…The “sandy” boot is classic….what a momento of a picture to recall your vacation by :)
    Go Bears!!!!
    Marianne

2. Marianneon 06 Oct 2008 at 6:53 pm 2

Kkdub,
    Funny you should mention two feet flat on the ground…just got back from PT and they suggested that I stand with my back to a wall (in bare feet) and try to stretch my bad ankle as close to the wall as I can, with my good foot all the way up against the wall. I’m to do that a couple of times a day for at least 5 min. each time. So I’m really going to work on my weight-bearing/stretching more now. As soon as I can stand with both ankles touching the wall, I will be 90 degrees. I can’t believe how long this is taking!!!!!
    You’ve given me the incentive to “bite the bullet”!
    Thanks,
    Marianne

3. stevewon 06 Oct 2008 at 11:14 pm 3

Sounds like you had a nice trip. Capitola’s my old stomping grounds (UCSC, class of ‘95). Now you know why I have to route for Cal. Cause my Banana Slugs had no division three football team. But we were national champions in frisbee golf! Keep on healing.

4. dennison 07 Oct 2008 at 12:03 am 4

kkdub - looks like your boot has gotten some good use! Glad that you are traveling around and having a great time. Keep us posted and love those pictures.

5. hobbliton 07 Oct 2008 at 10:25 pm 5

Why did I give up my boot so soon! In the morning try microwaving a moist towel and then wrapping around your ankle. I find 10min of wet heat before stretching makes my tendon feel normal right away.

6. dazfon 08 Oct 2008 at 10:09 am 6

Good pictures. I too was in Haiwaii earlier this year, seems a long way off now and being sat here for 3 weeks so far makes it seem even further.

Glad to see you had a great time.

7. damacaron 08 Oct 2008 at 10:39 pm 7

So jealous!! Capitola is one of my favorite places that i’ve been, worldwide. Don’t forget to have that slice from Pizza My Heart for me! My fav is the clam & garlic. Hopefully you’re shopping a bit. Have fun!! I’ll be in SF next month but it will be training.
    Go Ducks!!