Sep 19 2008

kkdub

3 months –Walk a mile in MY 2 shoes (whoo hoo)

Posted at 7:23 pm under Monthly

ATR friends, its been forever!

I’ve been reading daily and thinking of all of you…Especially the newbie’s, the re ruptures (what progress you guys are making this second time around) and those with wound issues – headed up by the great success / progress of kristinati’s wound)(DaveLeft, Hillary – sending good wound viibes)…And Richard – I’ll send you some REAL movies to cry at…I think I’ve seen them all with this injury – more turtle races please.  I laugh at all you UK folks with your word changes and sentence formations – you make life sound so easy!  Special THANK YOU to EdForman for fast friendship and support from the opposite coast!  Damacar – your Ducks are doing well!  But our Bears are going to rule (Marianne – you’re a bear???).  Dennis – can’t wait for the new tshirts.  Hobblit – we’re at the same date, keep the humor and facebook coming.  SFtourguide – great progress – I’ll be in SF on Sunday - we could do a lunch.

Anyway, today is officially my 3 mos post op!  Whoo hoo.  I’m at the wine bar for my pre-date cocktail jotting down some of my milestones for the blog!  I can’t believe the time has flown and not moved at all.

I’ve been two days now in tennis shoes full time and walked a full mile at the track on Wed.  It took 8-9 minutes a lap and I’m averaging a 34 minute mile (keep in mind I was running sub 7 minute miles prior to ATR – basically LESS time than it takes me to do one lap now!)  OH well…I’ll take the walking and shoes.

Other good things:

1.     Love PT – maybe IN LOVE with my PT. Yummy. Its completely the achilles spa.  As much as I love it, I have to say that just with the walking around my house, the gym work outs, and the track this week I’ve improved tenfold on my ROM.  So I love PT, but for some of you on the site, I think the walking really helps.

2.     I love sleeping with out boot, socks anything :-), at least on my foot.  I was pretty conservative about that because I’m an active sleeper.

3.     Mornings the Tendon is VERY tight, but walking around in my shoes right away helps a bit.  I wonder – you guys post 3 months – when does this go away?

4.     About two weeks ago I started showering standing up!  WHAT?  This is cool, I almost forgot if I faced the faucet or back to faucet, had to re learn what worked for all the shampoo’ing, shaving and misc conditioning etc.

a. I did keep the chair in the shower as it now functions as a shelf and convenient sitting place-  but am happy to ship it to a newbie if anyone would like it in the early stages.  I definitely used it for the FULL three months.

5.     I go to the gym now five days a week and am driving the jeep with the clutch (I’m a lefty ATR).  It feels like great freedom.  You Right ATR’s I don’t know how you do it with the driving.

6.     My incision is straight, but darker now with all the activity.  I need to make sure to apply the mederma and the sun screen.  I’m doing crazy viti’s (are they working?) and viti E on the incision but it just may be in due time.

Not all is perfect – which reminds me to be respectful of this injury:  I have a severe limp and I’m afraid to do anything like running, raises, or elliptical, but in due time.  Happy to do the bike for 20 mins now, and then a full core and upper body work out.  My foot is very numb still from the heel to the three last toes on my foot.  Maybe months before that goes away or never – that’s what PT is saying.  Also, people/Friends now forget that I have the injury and walk faster than me to restaurants, or ask if I can go running today. That bothers me…but oh well, as we know…no one quite gets the enormity of the recovery period.

AND I just booked a trip to Hawaii, and then to a wedding (think I’ll still wear boot due to booze and people), and then to Capitola – coast town in CALI.  Will be gone three weeks.  Whooo hoo.  Dennis I promise to take Achilles tshirt pics and post them in the gallery – mine is now sorta flash dance ripped up cuz it was hot for working out…but will send some photos.

I can’t believe its been three months. Never knew this day would come and very excited for the next three months.  Maybe if I can meet guys WITH the boot and they find me interesting just as someone that sits, I can meet an amazing guy that will like that I can walk on my own :-)

Patience and Respect to those that are just starting out.

Cheers to all….

Kkdub.  Go bears.

11 responses so far

11 Responses to “3 months –Walk a mile in MY 2 shoes (whoo hoo)”

1. marianneon 19 Sep 2008 at 9:02 pm 1

Kkdub,
    Great to hear how well you are doing in two shoes!!! Looks like you have a lot of fun things to look forward to that you have planned :) Awesome!!!!! I’m a right ATR and am driving right foot accelerator and left foot brake….I started at about 12 weeks and now at 15 weeks and it feels real natural. I do pay extra close attention to the traffic though since it is different…
    Keep up the great work and yes the Bears will rule :)
    Marianne
    Go BEARS!!!!!!!

2. walshieon 20 Sep 2008 at 4:10 am 2

Kdub nice work! Looks like youre progressing well.

The limp kinda goes away, but more near the 5 month mark, at least that was the case w me..at the end of the day I still limp unfortunately, esp if Ive played golf or worked out.

Wheres Capitola? I played ball in the Cal League for 2 years and never heard of it..is it near San Louis Obispo? That town is one of the most beautiful places in the US, imo.

Thanks for the update

3. hilary13on 20 Sep 2008 at 12:37 pm 3

Wow, thank you for all this amazing detail and info. I love reading about those ahead of me…and your progress sounds fantastic. Congratulations.

I can’t wait to start PT when this wound heals, and there is so much to look forward to…I dream about walking to my little neighborhood shop area in SF which is about 4 blocks from my house (but with steep hills). How I took that for granted, before all this.

And Hawaii sounds divine, it may be our first trip when I recover, as well! Enjoy every minute…aloha.
    hilary

4. Pattion 22 Sep 2008 at 7:50 am 4

Hi, I work with Mederma and I caught your post again and noticed you are still using the Mederma which is great but you also state that you are using a sunscreen. I wanted to make sure that you know that we have a new product, Mederma Cream +SPF30, which contains the sunscreen because as you probably already know, the sun can cause discoloration to scars. You should try it and that will give you one less item to apply - just make sure you use as directed for best results. You can check out our website at http://www.mederma.com for more information on this new product as well as a $3 discount coupon you can use to purchase. Best of luck with your recovery.

5. anniehon 22 Sep 2008 at 8:28 am 5

Hi kkdub,

Looks like you really winning this race, so glad things are going well.

It is strange this language thing, we think the same when we read blogs from the US. A common lanaguage yet very different. I find myself reading the blogs with the accent of the country how very odd of me, must be going ‘potty’ (another English phrase for ‘mad’.)

Perhaps we should start to compile words we think are ‘different’.

Wishing you well
    Annie

6. anniehon 22 Sep 2008 at 8:33 am 6

Hey ho!!! Must be getting tired now, 3:30 p.m. nearly ready to go home, but I have just re-read my last post, I humbly apologise for the extremely bad spelling. Will do better next time.
    For all those sports fans out there my mind is swimming with excitement as yesterday I experience a magnificient game of football (soccer) when Manchester City beat Portsmouth 6-0, have been smiling all day. ‘Come on you BLUES!!!!’

Annie

7. damacaron 23 Sep 2008 at 1:55 pm 7

Hey kkdub….we won’t talk about the Ducks this week ok? =)
    Glad to hear you’re moving around so well. I’m trying to remember when my tendon stopped beind really tight in the mornings. The only time is does now is after alot of activity ie. Duck games. Still slightly uncomfortable to go barefoot.
    I LOVE CAPTIOLA!! My inlaws have a “cabin” in Boulder Creek, up in the mountains above Santa Cruz, so i’m very familiar with the area. Have you ever been to ShadowBrook for dinner?
    Have a slice of clam & roasted garlic pizza at Pizza My Heart for me!!

damacar
    GO DUCKS!!

8. Matton 23 Sep 2008 at 8:36 pm 8

Congrats on the milestone!!
    I’m looking forward to it-7 weeks now for me. I see you are a fellow Oregonian. Are you originally from Cali? I used to go to Capitola beach all the time. My friends and I even rented one of those cool little bungalows right on the beach. Now that was trouble.
    Sounds like you have quite a trip planned. Be careful out there but live it up a little too. You deserve it.
    And don’t call it a limp, just call it a strut. Sounds cooler!!!
    Oh and I’m sorry but even being a former Californian…….

GO DUCKS!!!!

Matt

9. dennison 23 Sep 2008 at 8:48 pm 9

Congrats on your recovery! Looks like it’s progressing smoothly. As for the tightness in the mornings, as for me, I think it took a good 4-5 months until I wasn’t conscious of my achilles when walking. It really takes a lot of patience, but I think I’ve learned to just accept and deal. ;)

10. Chrison 24 Sep 2008 at 7:38 am 10

Kathy, congrats on your recovery! I haven’t checked in for a long time and thought I’d see where you were since we suffered the injury at about the same time. I, too, have no sensation/numbness in the sole of my foot and my heal, and my ortho told me it would be a while (he never did say what a “while” was) before I get the sensation back. On 2 shoes myself now (since yesterday) and loving life. Met with my ortho yesterday and he said looks great, no more boot, come back in 2 months if you need to, otherwise it’s been great. I don’t have any restrictions on activity other than don’t do anything that hurts. I’ve been riding a stationary bike all summer and am stoked to get back on my brand new road bike I bought a week before I got hurt–i’ve ridden it twice! Have a great time on your trip–sounds awesome!

11. Chrison 24 Sep 2008 at 7:38 am 11

Nice spelling on “heal”, huh? :)