Aug 19 2008

kkdub

First PT. Rode Bike – burned 8 calories!

Posted at 5:23 pm under Monthly

Fellow ATR’s I know I just posted – but I didn’t think PT would be so mentally and physically rewarding.  Thanks for listening and may you all experience PT sooner than later.

Today’s session (at 7 weeks 4 days)

1. measured ROM of good foot and then bad foot.  While doc says I was in pretty good shape he was bummed that its in my 8th week that I’ve come in.  Wished the Surgeon sent me in about 3 weeks ago to start to loosen up the tendon.(how are we suppose to know these things?)
  2. 20 minutes in hot whirlpool (best ever!)
  3. 15 minutes of massaging the tendon and the bones in foot.  Weird – but really good.
  4. then “walk to the bike”  WHAT?  Yes, no boot, walked in a funny sorta cartoon way to the bike
  5. Biked for 5 minutes, with bad foot mainly just pressing with heel.  Felt GREAT. Burned 8 calories – whoo hoo. I rule.
  6. band exercises
  7. Ice for 15 (Ice is my friend)

Supposedly next week we’ll start leg press and toe raises but I can’t believe it.  He also took out the remaining wedges of my boot and was mad that my surgeon ordered the wedges.  Go Figure.

Very please.  Happy to ride bike, and start some sort of swimming and walking in two weeks.  OMG!  Also BIG lecture from PT about care of my other foot due to my excessive running.  Will post “healthy foot” protocol when we get there.

“interesting” items at the PT center.  Back to PT on Friday and then three day

Thanks for the support.  I opened a bottle of wine at 3 in celebration.  That’s not too early for a couch sitter is it?  Ha!  Kkdub

Ps – I’ll post pics of the facility and other s a week.

8 responses so far

8 Responses to “First PT. Rode Bike – burned 8 calories!”

1. tennisjunkieon 19 Aug 2008 at 6:49 pm 1

8 calories and a bottle of wine? Where is the champagne?!!

2. Tomon 19 Aug 2008 at 6:50 pm 2

kkdub - It’s good to hear your PT session went so well. It definitely can feel rewarding after so much inactivity. It sounds like you have a very good PT. As a fellow runner I’m anxious to hear about the “healthy foot” protocol.

BTW, I don’t think it’s ever too early to celebrate the milestones with a bottle of wine! Congrats!

3. hilary13on 19 Aug 2008 at 7:14 pm 3

Wow! That sounds like…the best day ever!! I cannot wait to have a day like that! Nice going.
    hilary

4. dennison 19 Aug 2008 at 7:18 pm 4

kkdub - Glad that you started PT and that it’s going well. The hot whirlpool sounds great! I thought that the PT’s mostly used heating pads, so it looks like you are getting good treatment over there. :)

Oh, the wine.. great idea! We are going to get a bottle for dinner!

5. neryson 20 Aug 2008 at 1:08 am 5

im off for my first physio sess today ….nervous …..it sounded like you went really well , keep up the good work ….. my physio is at 9.30 how early can i open a bottle of wine ??????? target: 8 cals on bike ….. right the gauntlet has been dropped ha ha …..take care nerys x

6. Leoon 20 Aug 2008 at 2:39 pm 6

Awesome. I am 7 weeks and had my first and second PT. Picked up some marbles with my toes–I was amazed I could do it. Stretching, massage and ice (no heat). I liked the massage. Started PWB and walking with crutch. No bike but swimming with a pull buoy and stopping 1 meter short of the wall –means a dead start every 24 meters. Did 1,000 m first day.
    I was running 9 miles 3x week and 4 the other 3 so I am interested in the protocol also.
    Hang in there

Leo

7. chris67on 26 Aug 2008 at 10:41 am 7

I now *love* riding an exercise bike–it’s what is getting me through a lot of days! I have been going to our rec center to ride (since I have a treadmill at home instead of a stationary bike) and I used to hate the rec center. I feel like when I go to PT that they should be giving me more challenging tasks and such because I feel like I can do the exercises really easily. I don’t have the OK to swim or sleep without my boot yet (probably in at my next appt–2 weeks). I have really missed swimming this summer. And having some wine to celebrate your recovery successes is ALWAYS in order. I prefer champagne myself. :)

8. marianneon 26 Aug 2008 at 11:02 am 8

kkdub,
    Do you happen to know what the water temperature in the whirlpool was set at? Was it luke warm, or more on the hot side? We have a hot tub, with the jets, etc. but we usually keep it at 102 degrees…..not sure if there is a therapeutic temperature for it to be set at. Haven’t tried getting into our tub yet as it is outside and high off the ground. Just curious about the temperature?
    Marianne