Aug 05 2008

kkdub

I took some steps!!!! 5 weeks 4 days

Posted at 9:21 am under Monthly

OK.  I’ve been practicing walking with one crutch in my house, and yesterday I took about 10 steps with NO crutches.  My goal is to walk into post op appt a week from today with NO crutches.  So scarey but I did it.  I did it.  I walked.  ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

My incision changes colors regularly depending on what I did the day before.  I have to assume this is normal, but its doing ok.  I really hope in six months it will be skin color :-)

Not much else, just so excited I could walk - CRAZY!

I did it.  I walked.

6 responses so far

6 Responses to “I took some steps!!!! 5 weeks 4 days”

1. marianneon 05 Aug 2008 at 10:22 am 1

kkdub,
    You are on your way, and WAY braver than me!!!!!! When you use one crutch, do you use it on the good side or the bad side?
    I’m still not sure about that…… Congrats on your excellent progress!!!

2. Ed Formanon 05 Aug 2008 at 1:22 pm 2

The monster walks!!!! Congrats - those first steps are so critical from a confidence perspective. You’ll be skipping down the street in no time.

Ed

3. dennison 05 Aug 2008 at 1:53 pm 3

kkdub - congrats on the walk. Glad to hear that you are making good progress.

4. jennyon 05 Aug 2008 at 6:31 pm 4

Hi kkdub, you are two weeks behind me but several steps ahead and I am jealous. Maybe its because I am still in fibreglass at almost 8 weeks post-op. I managed to do one crutch two days ago and it felt great but the friction on my incision site caused so much pain by the end of the day that for the last two days I have been barely able to put any weight on it all. Very frustrating. Are you in a boot? I feel at this point that if I was in a boot I would be able to take it off and ice and air it out and then I would be able to continue progress the next day. Unfortunately my surgeon is on holidays for two more weeks so I am worried that my progress may be at a standstill. Good luck to you.

5. craigon 06 Aug 2008 at 10:00 am 5

Nice going, kkdub! My experience was that once you took the first few steps without the crutches, it all came back quickly. Be sure to smile as you change your status from PWB to FWB!

6. Bobbyon 10 Aug 2008 at 8:45 am 6

Kat,

Did Fats Domino’s “I’m Walkin’” play over and over in your head when you let go of the crutches? Ricky Nelson? or Nancy Sinatra?

Of course this is important. Ya gotta have a soundtrack right?

;) congrats on your steps.
    B