Aug 07 2015

Here we go again

Published by kjohnston at 6:45 pm under Uncategorized

I went through this process a little over a year and a half ago.  My repair was surgical and is strong.  The only issue I’ve had is there is still some numb feeling in my toes from possible nerve damage.  Started having some of the same problems with the other foot (insertional tendonosis) which has been going on for several months.  Walking on beach with my kite gear yesterday getting ready to go out and stepped in a hole.  It happened so fast and it was just like the classic rupture discription.  Felt like a horse kicked me and I went down.  Sucked so bad because I knew exactly what happened and also knew what was to come.  I’m scheduled to mee with my same doctor Monday.

8 Responses to “Here we go again”

1. Lisaon 07 Aug 2015 at 8:45 pm

I feel for you and know what it is like to have that classic snap happen a second time around.

I followed modern functional non-op protocol on round 2 and highly recommend looking at that option and avoid complications like nerve damage. A year from ATR I can say it was a total success, way less pain and so much easier.

All the best!

2. oscilloton 08 Aug 2015 at 2:14 am

Sorry to hear that! I’m a water man, too.

Did the tendonitis in your repaired side go away with surgery? If you can get another 55 years of kiteboarding from this, perhaps it’s a blessing in disguise. =P

Keep us posted on your progress, and happy healing.

3. kjohnstonon 08 Aug 2015 at 8:44 am

Yes, I also had the Haglunds issue which was removed in surgery. I no longer have any pain in that heal. I’m really looking at this as a blessing in disguise as it was really causing me problems. I modified workouts (crossfit) to stay away from the things that caused flare ups. However, kitesurfing (which I am passionate about) and walking in sand, was enough to bring on a flare up after every session. I would end up icing and taking over the counter meds so that I could manage to walk without too much pain or limp. Also, getting grief from my wife now because she has been trying to get me to go see doctor. I was trying everything from eccentric exercises, trigger point ect… The only thing I couldn’t force myself to do was nothing at all. So here I am again. I don’t believe non operative would work for me because the degeneration and Haglunds is what caused the issue and eventual ATR to begin with. I don’t know for certain, but wouldn’t that have to be taken care or I could end up in the same situation after it heals and I return to same lifestyle?

4. Michelleon 08 Aug 2015 at 12:49 pm

Hi there,
    I feel your pain. I had surgery on Rt ankle Dec. 2014 (insertional tendonosis, calcification of achilles, Haglunds bump, big toe tendon transfer). I was rehabbing, walking, beginning to feel good about life, then in April 2015, BAM, the left ankle went bad–same thing happening on the left ankle. I had the same surgery on left ankle July 2015.
    I agree with you that Non Op treatment is not viable with the insertional tendonosis and haglunds issue. The degenerated tendon needs to be removed, the Haglunds bump reduced, and often, what is left of our achilles needs to be fortified with other tendons. I do not miss my big toe tendon at all. I did not hesitate to get the second surgery because of the success of the first one, and I did not want to do any more damage to the left ankle by procrastination (like I did on the first ankle–put it off for 9 months and just did more and more damage to it-they had to remove ~ 70% of the achilles at the insertion). Listen to your wife and get it taken care of as soon as possible. You know what to expect, and the long grueling recovery sucks, but it is fixable! We both know that massage, eccentric exercises, hot soaks, cold soaks, nothing will fix this problem! And please be wary of cortisone injections…they end up damaging the tendon more.
    Good luck to you!
    Michelle

5. kjohnstonon 08 Aug 2015 at 1:21 pm

Thanks Michelle. It helps so much to hear from someone like yourself with almost identical problem.

6. Sarajaneon 09 Aug 2015 at 6:45 am

Hi there - I am 4 1/2 weeks after surgery, NWB removable cast. My foot is still swollen - should it be? I am going to the doctor’s on Thursday which will be 5 weeks post-op. I didn’t injure my Achilles - but this was about 2 1/2 years in the making.

Just wondering about the swollen foot.

Thanks for the help!

7. oscilloton 09 Aug 2015 at 1:07 pm

Congrats on your performance-enhancing surgery, KJohnston. I’m sure you’ll be showing up the young guys in a year or so. May I ask where you are based out of? We were in Maui earlier this year and saw some amazing kitesurfers on the North Shore.

Sarajane, the swelling is normal, and many people on here report needing to RICE regularly for 7-9 months after surgery. It’d be a good idea to invest in some ice wraps and compression socks.

8. kjohnstonon 09 Aug 2015 at 2:16 pm

I have been fortunate to have kitesurfed many destinations and have been to Maui. Unfortunately, was unable to kite while we were there last time because I was only 3 months post surgery. I was getting around fine but knew better than to risk trying it.