First race post-surgery

This past weekend I ran in my first race since surgery for achilles debridement and Haglund’s excision nearly 9 months ago. It was a 5 mile race on a flat course and the weather was fairly mild for summer. Perfect for my “first” race back. I have to say, it might have been the first race where I didn’t look at my watch, and where I just took in everything and everyone around me. It was awesome! I’m not running at the speed I used to, but I really think that will come. It was still fast enough to win my age group (40:04) - of course, there were only three women in my age group! Showing up counts at this age:)

11 Comments »

1. nosport45 Said,

July 23, 2014 @ 5:20 am

Go kimc! Sounds like you really savoured the experience of your first race back. You may have done 7 marathons but this ATR one is probably most demanding in terms of pacing yourself n being patient. Hope you continue to progress well. Happy healing.

2. atr2014 Said,

July 23, 2014 @ 7:26 am

Wow, have no idea how old you are but that is a great time - post ATR or not! Congratulations!

3. gocanes123 Said,

July 23, 2014 @ 9:54 am

Great news to hear Kim! And what a great time, especially after an ATR. I may participate in a 5k this weekend as I pass my 4 month mark. If I can get to your pace by Fall for my upcming races I will be more than pleased.

4. Stuart Said,

July 23, 2014 @ 2:39 pm

This is great Kim. That is 3.5 hour marathon pace. Not too shabby for a quinquagenarian. Thinking about going further no doubt. Please remember people that Kim did not rupture her tendon so do not be dissappointed if you cannot replicate this fantastic effort if you did but nonetheless it is certainly something to aim for.

5. kimc Said,

July 23, 2014 @ 5:56 pm

Stuart - you are correct. I had surgical procedure to split the tendon, take it off the bone, cut out the diseased, shredded portion of the tendon (about 30% of it), saw off a hideously large heel bone, and then reattach the tendon with absorbable bones anchors. The recovery time and post-op care for most mirrors that for ATR. And, as with ATRs, individual recovery times and treatment protocols are highly variable. However, it is painful to read on this blog how many debridement/Haglund’s patients are experiencing a lot of pain months out from surgery. Those of us who have the surgery were generally hobbling around and suffering significant pain for a year, two, or more before having the surgery. There seem to be far too many who have even more pain well after the surgery.

6. Stuart Said,

July 24, 2014 @ 2:29 pm

Kim - no doubt you are a great inspiration with what you have achieved and if this is what you can do in 9 months then I would say you have already knocked down the marathon tracker. It is quite a painful condition as you say and prevalent among runners. You have done well and I am sure you will continue to stride on.

7. chris89 Said,

July 24, 2014 @ 9:37 pm

Inspirational glad you can return to what you do and kill at it.

8. kimc Said,

July 25, 2014 @ 1:16 pm

@gocanes123 - Wishing you well in the 5k this weekend! ENJOY IT!

@Stuart - if I EVER run a 3.5 hour marathon, I’ll let you know! That would definitely be a PR. Fastest marathon was 3 years ago at age 53 - a 3:43. Not really sure I’ll be running another marathon, but I think there may be some half-marathons in my future. Thanks for your encouraging words!

9. atr2014 Said,

July 25, 2014 @ 5:49 pm

Kimc - you are in AMAZING shape! You have more than 10 years on me and my marathon time isn’t nearly as good as yours! Wow!!! You give me hope that maybe there is still hope for me yet!

10. kimc Said,

July 25, 2014 @ 7:05 pm

@atr2014 - thanks for the kind words. My first marathon, at age 37, was much slower - 4:38. All of my fastest times came in my 50s. I think it was because I could be more consistent with training at this age (kids all grown and out of the house). AND, I started running with people who were faster than me. My husband will turn 60 this fall, and he ran his fastest times in his early- to mid-50s as well. Normofthenorth - our de facto leader on this site - has certainly pushed the envelope in athletic endeavors after ATRs on both legs! (And he’s MUCH older than I am - right, Norm?)

11. peterg Said,

July 30, 2014 @ 8:08 pm

What an awesome read, thanks for sharing!!

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI