Feb 22 2012

“Don’t feel sorry for yourself, only assholes do that.”

Published by kilomike at 3:26 am under Uncategorized

Up til my appointment with the Orthopedic surgeon, I don’t think I accepted reality just quite yet. I was still clinging on to the hope that maybe it was a partial tear and recovery wouldn’t take as long.

My father asked me about my appointment when I got home, and it wasn’t when I told him that it would take 6 to 12 months for a full recovery that it kind of sunk in. I couldn’t look my dad in the eye for the rest of the conversation.

I set some goals that I was eager to complete this year, and I found it quite disappointing that they were going to have to wait. Some of them were to: run a marathon in May; complete Tough Mudder with some close friends; learn to rock climb and mountaineer; and go backpacking in Southeast Asia in July and August. Also I did not like the idea that I was going to be useless at work for a good while (I’m in the Army Reserves).

It was annoying; in my head I knew it was not a big deal, there are so many people with REAL problems. But here I was letting these negative thoughts seep into my mind.

So I do what I always do when I began to whine about life: slap myself, tell myself to stop being an asshole, and watch something inspirational.

I actually watched this video again that day: Amy Purdy: Living Beyond Limits

That definitely did it. I began to stop thinking about what I couldn’t do anymore, but what I could still do. I stopped thinking about what goals I couldn’t complete anymore, but what new goals for me to set. And though I might become weaker physically, I knew to be sure to capitalize on this challenge and grow stronger mentally and emotionally.

Anyways you’ll have to pardon me for that last part, it was quite corny. But I am in high spirits these days, and it’s definitely better on this side.

6 Responses to ““Don’t feel sorry for yourself, only assholes do that.””

1. alion 22 Feb 2012 at 2:11 pm

Inspiring post Mike. At my very worst point last year I read a book called ‘Life and Limb’ by Jamie Andrew. This guys story inspired me more than anything at that time and gave me real hope for the future. Its good to keep this perpective on everything. You will improve and achieve your goals and dreams, even if the timing is different from what you originally had in mind.

2. Januson 22 Feb 2012 at 3:30 pm

That’s excellent. Try to find the opportunity this offers and do something with. If I can this look at this objectively, my recovery will take a while but should be fairly routine. So I can’t just let myself rot mentally, emotionally, or even physically during the next 6 months to a year. I have to do something with that time, even if it wasn’t what I planned.

So back to your conclusion and ali’s comments: keep things in perspective, set goals and achieve them, and work on improving other areas of life.

3. normofthenorthon 22 Feb 2012 at 9:21 pm

Don’t Stop, folks! For most of the people, “winning the mental game” during ATR rehab is at least as hard as winning the physical game. A few of us even manage to gain some real net advantage from this physical setback, which is what you’re talking about — and that’s REALLY winning the mental game!

Good luck with it.

BTW, I read 1 or 2 of Tony Robbins’ books a few decades ago, and found large parts of them eye-opening, along these lines.

4. kilomikeon 23 Feb 2012 at 2:55 pm

Thanks for the encouraging responses; finding this site has been a big help not just in terms of information.

5. Levis Jeans Onlineon 12 Jul 2012 at 3:44 am

Das Thema der Werbung ist wirklich klassisch. Levis 506 die Geschichte der Entwicklung miterlebt.

6. nike heels ukon 16 Oct 2012 at 3:55 am