Day after Surgery

April 17, 2015

Day 2: After visitors-

I remember there being so much pressure in my feet. If I moved them below my waste it was like my feet were being pricked by a thousand needles. I had to keep my feet elevated, and the higher the better. I only had to drop my feet to go pee in a urinal or to pop over into a wheel chair and the wheel chair had leg supporters that held my legs horizontal to the floor. I was still hooked up to the IV and was told to drink lots of water, which I’ve always been good at. I was put on a pain killer and every 6 hours I could take it again. It didn’t help much with pain but I’m sure it helped with swelling. I ended up with so many visitors during the day. People came and went and I received numerous gifts from friends and family that are priceless to me. I am forever grateful for their support.

The night time came and the last visitors left, I said goodnight and good bye to my fiancee and my baby daughter (thank you for those that watched her during this time!) and I was alone to think and collect my thoughts. I ate my food, browsed around on social media and contemplated how life was going to be outside of the hospital, for I was about to be released the next day. I wondered about how I would take care of my daughter, (I’m a stay at home dad) how I would go to the bathroom and how I would get food, all the essentials. I knew I was going to be in a wheel chair and I wondered how I would get around in the house or in the apartment we were getting ready to move into. How would I get up the steps at the house or apartment? How would I be able to help our demo team and help the students at the TKD school? How was I going to be me still?

These questions and a million others flooded my head as I sat in the quiet hospital room, I started crying again. The first time was when Master told me it could be torn and I knew I had to leave the performance part of the team, I was devastated. This time I realized how I, the one that does all the helping to anyone in need, the one that did all the house work and drove, would not be doing those things anymore. I wasn’t even sure how I was going to take care of myself. This lasted about 2 mins, a small breakdown. I wiped the tears away and took deep breaths just remembering that I have been in worse situations, like being to war and back twice along with being almost killed when I got jumped by 5 people. It wasn’t that bad and I needed to suck it up before a nurse came in and possibly set me up with counselling. That was the last thing I needed.

As I regained my breath and focused on what I could still do, I was back to being me again.  I hoped into my wheel chair and roamed the hospital smiling as I pass by all the nurses. I wasn’t faking it, I was just adjusting my own attitude. I was up on the 5th floor so I got on the elevator after a couple back and forth rides through the hall way. It was a great workout and it got me thinking that this will not stop me, it will only make me stronger and I can make sure of it. I get to the first floor where there is more room to roam. It was about 2300 so most of the cut-off doors were shut. Quiet hours and all. I found myself in a hospital coffee shop/gift shop area and there was a waterfall back in the corner. It was an awesome sound. Nothing else was around to make any sound, it was just water flowing down and hitting rocks. Very calming, which gave me a focus for any other time I needed to just be calm, I just think of the waterfall.

I wheel myself to the elevator and I’m back on my own floor. I hop into the bed and elevate my feet higher than my heart and play around on my phone until I get tired and fall asleep. I’m sure when I was under during my surgery my body relaxed and it was the best nap ever, I just don’t remember it. Ha!

Now I had my feet up on pillows as well as the foot of the bed moved up. It was the most comfortable I could get and I fell asleep. I woke up to painful twitches from my calves. They aren’t used to not being stretched and used all day. The twitches cause intense pain and it pulled on my sewn up tendon. I was in and out of sleep all night. Now tomorrow was a big day for me as I got to find out for sure if I would be heading home. I got to meet with the physical therapy manager and the occupational therapy manager. They were going to test me to see if I’m ready for the discharge.

Stay tuned for the Day 3 and even how I was going to get around!

Thanks for reading.

~Mr. Stot~

Entry Filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: , , , , , , , , .

2 Comments Add your own

  • 1. herewegoagain  |  April 17th, 2015 at 19:44

    What a great post, you have a fantastic attitude and will do fine. You are totally right, ATR can make you stronger.
    I had a good cry when the nurse told me I had ruptured the second time round, yes grieving for all the things I knew I would not be able to do for a while. That quickly passed once I accepted that the challenges are only as big as you make them.
    All the best

  • 2. donna  |  April 18th, 2015 at 10:21

    Lovely read, really enjoy how you express yourself.

    You said: ” I wasn’t faking it, I was just adjusting my own attitude” LOVE IT! I say EXACTLY…it’s not what happens to us in life that matters but how we see it, how we react and respond to life’s challenges. A good cry always makes me feel better, like a release, for me it’s like the waterfall you heard…calm and soothing after and I find it the first step in my way of giving myself an attitude adjustment.

    “Change the way you look at things and the things you look at change” W. Dyer

Leave a Comment


Required, hidden

To prove you're a person (not a spam script), type the security word shown in the picture.
Anti-Spam Image

Powered by WP Hashcash

Some HTML allowed:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed

ATR Timeline