What just happened?

Here’s my story. I’m the classic weekend warrior times three. I’m on those people who lives basketball. My normal routine is to play pickup games at least 2 to 3 days per week including Saturdays. I was following my normal Saturday morning routine by playing for a couple of hours. Because I’m 39, I stretched my legs and warmed my legs by riding the stationary bike. I was playing my second game of the day. I was running the baseline and when I caught the ball in the corner, I squared up to shoot a 3 pointer. Suddenly, it felt like someone pulled a rug from under my right leg. I immediately dropped the ball and fell to the floor. I can remember looking around trying to figure out what just happen…looking for a wet spot on the floor. My teammates ran towards me and they were asking me if I was okay, but I didn’t know what happened. A spectator on the sideline responded by saying “I think you just ruptured you Achilles…trust me, I’ve ruptured mine twice.” Suddenly, my Achilles goes numb!!! From what I’ve learn, you suppose to hear a pop when you have an Achilles rupture but that didn’t happen nor did it feel like someone hit me in the back of the leg. I tried to stand but fell back down. My teammates helped me to the sideline and advised me to let them take me to the ER. Because I could push my right foot downwards, I decided to go home first and let my fiancee’ take me to the ER instead. My teammates assisted me to my car in which I drove home in severe pain. Once home, I immediately iced my Achilles area and took 800 mg of Ibuprofen. Since it was a Saturday, I debated whether or not to hold off on the ER and wait until Monday to see an Orthopedic Surgeon. I decided to go the ER . The attending doc performed the test of “squeezing the calf muscle” to confirm my Achilles injury. After taking xrays, the nurse put my right leg in a cast, gave me a prescription of lortab, and a referral list of Orthopedic Surgeon. The nurse’s advice was to keep my Achilles elevated and iced to reduced the swelling. I left the ER, got my prescription, and followed the doc’s orders until I was going to call an Orthopedic Surgeon on Monday.

2 Responses to “What just happened?”

  1. Sorry to say but welcome to the club :( This site is fantastic for help and advice and keep updating your blog to get the frustrations out in the open! All the best.

  2. Kenny - Join the gang. We’ve all been there. You have a long road ahead of you but you will get there. Take it really easy for the first few days though, swelling is enemy number one. Good luck with the orthopedic surgeon. Smoley

Leave a Reply

To prove you're a person (not a spam script), type the security word shown in the picture.
Anti-Spam Image

Powered by WP Hashcash