a long and winding road
Just another Achillesblog.com weblog

Hello world!
Posted on June 23rd, 2008 at 12:33 am by karen1 and

Welcome to Achillesblog.com.
This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start blogging!
Be sure to fill out your achilles rupture date and surgery date (if you know it).
We can give you more customized information this way.

Here’s some information: http://achillesblog.com/dennis/achilles-timeline-widget/

Here is the web address for your blog’s control page to start blogging: http://achillesblog.com/[your username]/wp-admin/

If you have any questions, don’t be afraid to ask! :)
Just to be clear, please substitute [your username] with your username..

Comments so far:

Link Here | June 23, 2008,

Hi, this is a comment.
To delete a comment, just log in, and view the posts’ comments, there you will have the option to edit or delete them.

Comment by Mr WordPress |

Link Here | June 23, 2008,

Hi, I ruptured my achilles tendon on FRIDAY 13th June 08, at California Wow, Pattaya, Thailand. I was under the instruction of a PT at the time and boy did that go POP, at first the usual oh its just a sprain let me help you out of here type of thing, but I knew more seriously. Anyhow now affter a long week in hospital, due to a further complication, I suffered a ruptured cyst on one of my ovaries whilst in the emergency department so they operated on my leg first and flipped me over to try to sort out the cyst, but I ended up having to have a full hysterectomy due to the major damage, I was under spinal block all the time and was able to have a laugh with the surgeons about what was going on all the time, well more of a nervous laugh really, I didnt really have much of a clue as to what he was saying most of the time (should have concentrated more on operations/doctors in my Thai class) . Hence recovery will be slower because I have to take care of the 5in scar across the bottom of my stomach (there goes my 6 pack again) so no sits ups and the 6in scar at the back of the leg which is now nicely enclosed in a plaster cast. Now I start the long and winding road to recovery. I have been set up with wi-fi in my bedroom, need the leg to be elevated, apart from that I dont have a clue, I may as well be deaf because I dont understand a word the doctor really tells me because he is Thai and things get lost in translation first he said 8 weeks then after the operation he said 12 weeks and no who knows, he sent me away with a nice packet of paracetamol and made an appointment for me to come back tomorrow 24th June but what for I dont have a clue, the major upheavel that is going to be undertaken tomorrow to just get me to the hospital will be a comedy of errors and when you arrive at the hospital the form filling is amazing - has anybody ever lived or had surgery in Thailand ? Please can anybody help with the true recovery time or what I can do to try to help myself. Thank you

Comment by karen1

Link Here | June 23, 2008,

hi karen, boy, you’ve been through it lately. hope you’re comfy and recovering well. as you’ve probably gathered by now there are many differing opinions on recovery times due to type of rupture / surgery / age / health etc. but in my case (full rupture 6th june) timetable is surgery + plaster for 2 wks, stiches/staples out, another plaster 2 wks, then a boot for several wks in which angle of foot is changed weekly by removal of ‘heel wedges’, then physio. of course i might be ahead/behind this schedule but i hope to be mobile (albeit shuffling around) by about week 10. as for longer term who knows, but i aim to be fully mobile by 6 months and fully recovered by 12. i don’t expect to as i was before the ‘pop’ but am told this is feasible. i was told to keep leg elevated and wiggle toes, especially for 1st 2 wks. there is loads of advice and info on this site and the net, so have a browse, keep your mind occupied and recover safely. keep us informed of your progress. offdibb

Comment by offdibb |

Link Here | June 23, 2008,

Hi Offdibb, thank you for your reply, I will check out the websites and try to do as much reading as I can, yes your are right rest and more rest. Do you just tend to sit around all day and night with the leg rested up, the docs here are hopeless and just said its up to me how I feel, dare I try to do too much?

Comment by karen1

Link Here | June 23, 2008,

hey karen1-

thanks for posting on my blog. sorry to hear about your misfortunes especially in a land that does not speak your language.

i suggest that you do not push yourself, from what i hear patience is a virtue with our type of injury.

do tell me how the PT was careless enough to rupture your achilles!??

Comment by paigefifi1

Link Here | June 23, 2008,

Hi Paigefifi1, thanks for your reply, about the pt he had me stepping up and down at a pace onto two 45lb dumbells one leg at a time and a knee lift in between, he said it was good for kick boxing because i train kick boxng 3 times a week (well not now and probably never) I lifted my left leg up and down and on the down it went pop. I felt like I had been stabbed in the back of my leg and immediately fell down, I felt sick and dizzy, but the trainer kept telling me it was just a sprain, well it is Thailand. So I am now I have a lawyer who is talking to the gym on my behalf but I doubt anything will come out of this. Karen1

Comment by karen1

Link Here | June 23, 2008,

You really got a double whammy - two major surgeries! It sounds like you will be confined to bed for awhile — in the early weeks I think most of us tried to lay or sit with foot elevated anyways. I hope both of your surgeries mend well - this site will be great resource for the achilles, but not too helpful for the hysterectomy!

Best of luck with your dual recoveries. You can see the timelines many of us followed with our recoveries, but we did not have a major abdominal incision to deal with. Keep us posted.

Comment by tennisjunkie

Link Here | June 23, 2008,

Hi tennisjunkie, I feel like I am being pushed from pillar to post at the moment but the worst thing is the language barrier, the doctors speak english here but a lot gets lost in translation, today I had to go to see he gyne doctor and then to the bone doctor (as they call him here) I came out from the bone doctor with more pain than when I went in with, and from what I can gather he is telling me that in around 4 weeks time (6 weeks in all) I can weight bear and he will get me a shoe to start walking in, seems to be very conflicting advice here somewhere, trouble is he is the only bone doctor in Pattaya and without me going to Bangkok I dont have a choice.

Comment by karen1

Link Here | June 24, 2008,

From this blog, some people start walking on cast or boot around 3 -4 weeks, others a few weeks later. Just read through the posts.

I was placed in a walking cast at 3 weeks,and started to walk. Then, 3 weeks later, I got a boot and am walking in that.

When he says shoe, maybe he means a boot?

As you will learn, everyone’s doctor has a different protocol for this.

Comment by tennisjunkie

Link Here | June 24, 2008,

Hi thanks for that I will check out all the reading and try to compare with what he is trying to do, as you see the word boot and shoe can mean the same thing here and gets you all confused.

Comment by karen1

RSS feed for comments on this post.
TrackBack URI

Share your thoughts

(required)

(required)

Sign up at Gravatar.com to personalize your comments!