13 weeks

I had my third and final post-op appointment today. I get to remove the heel lifts from my shoes and I’m starting PT in just over a week.

I went for a 3.5 mile bike ride without the boot the other day with no negative effects. It’s really nice to be able to sort of work out again.

Working on my feet is still painful. I can do 2-3 hours okay but any more than that is still a struggle. Honestly, I’m not 100% sure if that’s my heel or my depression, which is still bad.

I asked about my chances of developing that same issue on the other side and my OS said it was 50/50.

Limp is getting steadily better. If I wear the lifts and walk slowly I can fool most people.

Apologies for the kind of strange tone of this post. I wanted to update but my depression has my brain in a total fog and it’s hard to really focus on anything.

Out of curiosity, for people who are at or past 13 weeks out, what sort of activity level were you at? I feel like I’m moving really slowly but maybe that’s normal.

6 Comments »

1. donna Said,

April 15, 2015 @ 9:04 pm

I’m still moving slowly Kait…for me speed walking is not happening anytime soon nor is standing for long periods. I think there is a wide range for how long one can walk or stand as well as speed of walking…I think I’m in the mid range to lower end and maybe that’s where you’ll be. I hope you enjoy PT!

2. kaitmeister Said,

April 15, 2015 @ 10:50 pm

Thanks Donna. Remind me, you’re a few weeks ahead of me, right?

3. LindaF Said,

April 16, 2015 @ 8:59 am

You are about six weeks ahead of me and a little different type of injury, so can’t really comment on where you are in your recovery or rehab. I am sure PT will be helpful. I have seen good results/ improvement in just 3 visits. With respect to your blue feelings- I am sure most of us have had a range of feelings throughout the process- good days, bad days, depressed, anxious, etc. Perhaps you might want to consider some therapy/ counseling or even talk to your GP about how you are feeling. Sometimes they can prescribe something to just get you over the hump since you are feeling down right now.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

4. donna Said,

April 16, 2015 @ 9:39 am

I’m at 23 weeks Kait. At 13 weeks I walked on the treadmill at an average speed of 33 - 35 min/mile. According to my logs I set the treadmill speed at 1.5 - 1.8 that week and I only walked 10 - 20 min. at a time and stopped when fatigued. I also walked backwards on the treadmill as part of my gait retraining program to correct a small limp I had.

Until we build up our calf muscles their isn’t enough power to propel us for long periods and because the tendon is sore from healing and we may still lack full ROM or even just flexibility in what is left of those muscles we can’t walk fast. As we build calf muscle and as the tendon heals we can walk longer and faster. At PT you will work on many things incrementally and you will see progress, albeit slow progress.

At 23 weeks I now walk on the treadmill at an average of 23 min/mi…I set it at a speed of 2.4 - 2.7. I walk for about 40 mins before fatigue sets in., the fatigue is generally on the other tendons/muscles in the foot, ankle that get tired from overcompensating for the lacking calf muscle. Outside I can walk 2.0 miles and it takes me 50 mins that’s a 25 min/mile. Small improvement but improvement non the less. I tried setting the treadmill at 3.0 yesterday and I could do it for 5 mins before my calf got tired…I”m sure I’ll be able to do it longer in the next few weeks.

At around 16 weeks I found if I rested after my first walk, I could walk more later in the day, so I broke up my walks into two 30 min. sessions. With start and stopping walking over a two to two and a half hour period, such as when I play frisbee golf, I can walk the two and a half mile course but am quite sore and ready for a break at the end of 18 holes. I imagine that is what it’s like for you as a Barista.

My goal is to walk as long as I want, as far as I want, and on uneven trails without any fatigue or discomfort. I am determined to walk at preinjury levels and believe I will.

Pre-injury and since moving to Colorado I walk on average 1.5 hours a day or 5 miles, which is an 18 min/mi. I did that 5 days a week, on uneven local trails both paved and unpaved…some flat some hilly with small elevation gains. I’d suggest setting small walking goals/biking goals at PT and having them help you meet them.

Walking is more for my mental health than my physical health. In 2008 - 2009 when I retired I lived in a Zen Buddhist Monastery for a year and learned “walking meditation” and although I never did become a monk the meditation practice stuck! It really helps with the lifelong and chronic clinical depression I’ve managed. I think I’ve told you I’ve had no depressive episodes for 14 years. It’s been a long journey…and if I knew in my twenties what I know now about managing a chemical imbalance I’d not have suffered so much. So I encourage you to continue with self care in whatever form that works for you. Depression is a reality but how we respond to it is up to us. We do have some control over it. Not much, but enough to live a full and peaceful life.

As always best of wishes for you!

5. kaitmeister Said,

April 16, 2015 @ 8:04 pm

Hi Linda, I know I haven’t talked much about it on here but I’ve struggled with severe depression for my entire life. It’s pretty unrelated to my achilles recovery and I’ve been in and out of treatment for years. I appreciate the suggestion though.

Donna, thanks for the detailed response. I’ll keep it in mind as I’m going through PT and trying to get past this wonderful depressive episode.

6. donna Said,

April 16, 2015 @ 9:28 pm

I know you like being active, I think PT will help the depression…think of all the endorphins you’ll release doing more and more cardio as you recover and watching yourself get stronger and stronger! YAY Feel good chemicals!

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI