2-shoes and holy swelling, batman! (10 weeks)

I started 2-shoes yesterday! I was expecting it to be this big huge deal but it was actually significantly easier than starting FWB in the boot. Tendon is extremely stiff and weak so I’m limping quite a bit today, but it actually feels slightly less painful than being in the boot.

The limp is obviously caused by the stiffness and weakness - I can step forward with my left (op) foot easily, but I can’t push off with my left toes or bend my ankle more than 90┬░. That makes me take a very short step and ┬ájust lift my foot up off the ground. I’m sure it will get better with time and practice though. It already feels a little better. The only real pain I’m having is this weird clicking in the front of my ankle. I’ve had the sound there for my whole life, though it got better as I got older, and it’s never been painful before. I’m hoping that as I gain strength in my ankle it will get better again. I didn’t get a lot of direction from my OS so I’m doing some basic ROM and theraband exercises that already feel like they’re getting better. I see him again in 3 weeks and find out if I’m doing PT at that point.

I noticed in the shower this morning (a real shower without a chair!) that my foot is getting really, really swollen when I stand. I know it’s normal but with my history of DVT, it still freaks me out. Compression socks, here we come!

Incision is about 95% healed, looks great.

As far as activity goes, according to my activity tracker, I’m up to ~3500 steps per day. I’ve worked shifts up to 2.5 hours without much issue, and last night I made it through an entire Kung Fu class in the boot. I’m also biking with no issue.

Unfortunately depression is kicking my butt right now. Hoping that gets better soon because I’m having a really hard time with it.

Edit to add photos: incision and calf size.

7 Comments »

1. skelonas Said,

March 26, 2015 @ 5:32 pm

Keep your head up Kaitmeister! I’ve certainly had my highs and lows through this as well, so I can relate. Sounds like you are making good progress with your recovery though. I also have had an old click in my ankle return upon walking in two shoes, but fortunately for me, it doesn’t hurt while walking (yet). It does hurt a little when doing my plantar flexion theraband exercise if I don’t control it enough. Probably something for us both to mention to our doc and/or PT.

2. eyceman Said,

March 26, 2015 @ 6:00 pm

Awesome! Cant wait to be where you are.

3. donna Said,

March 26, 2015 @ 7:25 pm

You’re doing a great job taking care of yourself Kait! Walking in two shoes, taking showers standing already (YAY on that one), increasing your daily steps, working a job where you’re on your feet, Kung Fu classes, and biking…wow…you’ve been a busy girl! With that kind of self care the depression can only get better. Depression is a chemical imbalance, it’s not who you are. I can say that because I know it first hand. I was depressed from the ages of 14 - 38, and although I never did find a cure I’ve managed it the last 14 years with cognitive behavior therapy, meditation, and yoga. Whatever works for you, do it. You’ve got this, you are a tough woman! As always my very best to you!

4. bailey Said,

March 27, 2015 @ 6:09 am

Hi kait, we’re both at pretty much the same stage of recovery as I started in 2 shoes on Wednesday.

I’m currently away on holiday so decided on taking one crutch out and about with me as a way of letting people know I’m injured and to explain how slowly I’m walking.

Over the last couple of days I have spent hours walking about Marrakech and my ankle gets ridiculously swollen. Fortunately the pool here is ice cold so I’ve started using that at the end of the day and also sleeping with a pillow under my leg. By morning my ankle seems to be back to its normal, although still slightly swollen, state.

Congrats on the kung foo class and I hope your ankle returns to a more normal size soon.

5. cjernigan81 Said,

March 27, 2015 @ 9:57 am

I’m at 12 weeks and my ankle swells pretty bad, especially at the end of the day. I have been in two shoes for almost three weeks now and still experience soreness in my ankle and swelling. The pain is not that bad but it does cause me to limp some. I’m assuming this is normal….just part of the healing process.

6. donna Said,

March 27, 2015 @ 1:58 pm

Overall I’d say swelling is definitely normal cjernigan…and you can minimize it by resting, elevating (above the heart), and icing it if and when you can. It can also be a sign that you’ve been up and about too much, and if that is the case and you’re in a situation where you still need to be up and about I’d put the boot on to give it a rest. Excessive swelling due to over-activity is just going to prolong healing. I’m finding that it’s been a learning curve at each stage how much I can do. Wearing the pedometer has been helping me gauge things.

7. Laetitia Said,

March 27, 2015 @ 4:00 pm

Swelling is normal when you start walking more and more. I’m experiencing the same at 10 weeks (i have been in 2 shoes for the past 4 weeks).
    Just make sure you ice and elevate…

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI